Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FCW has very hard braking? Could be that. What's the difference? The non existing car that left my lane was red.
Not exactly. There are 3 scenarios that come to mind.

1. You're driving along on your own, FCW thinks that you're approaching the car in front of you too fast, and it beeps at you. No braking happens. This is good.
2. You're driving along using AP, FCW thinks that you're approaching the car in front of you too fast for AP, so it beeps at you and AP starts to brake. This is stupid, but I've read of it happening (and may have had it happen? can't remember).
Just like if you're using AP, the car shouldn't really warn you that drifted out of lane (well technically you shouldn't be drifting out of lane on AP, but it does happen).
3. AEB activates and it brakes. This is good (assuming there's a car)

So it sounds like you had 1 instance of AEB, and 1 instance of AP doing something stupid and hitting the brakes hard while activating FCW.

<--- armchair engineer

• Funny
Reactions: JenniferQ and msnow
Not exactly. There are 3 scenarios that come to mind.

1. You're driving along on your own, FCW thinks that you're approaching the car in front of you too fast, and it beeps at you. No braking happens. This is good.
2. You're driving along using AP, FCW thinks that you're approaching the car in front of you too fast for AP, so it beeps at you and AP starts to brake. This is stupid, but I've read of it happening (and may have had it happen? can't remember).
Just like if you're using AP, the car shouldn't really warn you that drifted out of lane (well technically you shouldn't be drifting out of lane on AP, but it does happen).
3. AEB activates and it brakes. This is good (assuming there's a car)

So it sounds like you had 1 instance of AEB, and 1 instance of AP doing something stupid and hitting the brakes hard while activating FCW.

<--- armchair engineer
Both "funny" and "helpful" had a hard time deciding on the rating :). Just to make one correction, I wasn't drifting out of my lane. The car in front of me moved to the left lane.

Reactions: Max*
Both "funny" and "helpful" had a hard time deciding on the rating :). Just to make one correction, I wasn't drifting out of my lane. The car in front of me moved to the left lane.
That wasn't directed at your scenario, just more of a random side tangent (sorry wasn't clear). I've had times when AP drifts out of lane and then the steering wheel vibrates and I think to myself "this is silly". Given, it hasn't happened in a long time, but it has happened.

FCW has very hard braking? Could be that. What's the difference? The non existing car that left my lane was red.
I've always assumed that AEB would trigger after FCW if you didn't fix the condition in time ("in time" might be very short or not so short depending on what FCW setting you have). Also, it kinda makes no sense to have AEB trigger without also triggering FCW.

Naturally, this is not based on extensive experimentation on my part. I did have a FCW + hard braking incident once but I think it was just TACC braking, my fillings didn't fly out of my teeth.

...I've had times when AP drifts out of lane and then the steering wheel vibrates and I think to myself "this is silly". Given, it hasn't happened in a long time, but it has happened.
Yeah, I had that happen to me for the first and only time yesterday (and I'm now on 8.0). Oddest thing to have Autosteer go slightly outside the left line, feel the jiggle on the wheel, and Autosteer quickly moves itself back where it belongs -- just as if it said "Ah S$$$" to itself. No rhyme nor reason why it did what it did in daylight, clearly marked lanes, and not driving into the sunlight or some other possible excuse. :confused:

Couple of items to report from my experience with v8.0 (.108)

340 mile round trip this past weekend. Several times on climb uphill as the car was reaching the apex of the hill, the AP would steer violently to the right. I had my hands on the wheel and each time coaxed it back to the center of the lane and once it cleared the apex and could "see" downhill it corrected itself. Never had this issue before.

Also twice during this trip, while driving uphill, the car auto-decelerated from 70mph to 50-55. No hard braking, but again i was nervous that it was about to emergency brake....then within seconds sped back up to highway speed again.

These are both new "glitches" that I've never experienced with any version of AP until this point.

Couple of items to report from my experience with v8.0 (.108)

340 mile round trip this past weekend. Several times on climb uphill as the car was reaching the apex of the hill, the AP would steer violently to the right. I had my hands on the wheel and each time coaxed it back to the center of the lane and once it cleared the apex and could "see" downhill it corrected itself. Never had this issue before.

Also twice during this trip, while driving uphill, the car auto-decelerated from 70mph to 50-55. No hard braking, but again i was nervous that it was about to emergency brake....then within seconds sped back up to highway speed again.

These are both new "glitches" that I've never experienced with any version of AP until this point.
Interesting, esp your veering-to-the-right scenarios that compliment my and other reports upthread of different conditions, but resulting in the same sharp veering to the right. In my situations, because of being so near another vhicle, I purposely pulled the wheel back left enough my MS came off Autosteer. I won't say I would have actually liked to have tried if it would have corrected itself like perhaps your hill condition did, but it would be interesting to know if it would have. This whole veering-to-the-right problem may well be part of the reason for a slowdown in deployment... while I expect no resolution, I have jotted down dates and circumstances to give to my SvC tomorrow when I go in for annual service in case correlating Tesla's data with human-observed conditions may be of assistance.

I have not (yet) encountered a similar slow and speed-up situation with 8.0, but I did have that occur a couple of times with 7.1. I never did come away with a reason why it may have happened.

Mine veers to the right as well as verified both visually and via the cartoon display. Mechanical factors such as the road crown, cross-wind, tire pressure, or wheel alignment do not appear to be a factor. It almost seems like a Bernoulli effect when it is next to another vehicle. What is alarming is that the ultrasonic sensor indicators do not confirm the presence of the other vehicle next to mine.

Have not experienced a slow down with 8.0 (yet), but it did happen once with 7.1 just before the upgrade to 8.0 when driving under an overpass with road signs that was casting a near perpendicular shadow.

• Informative
Reactions: Wanderer and BertL
It's sure looking like Tesla has completely stopped pushing out v8.0. There are enough (objectively minor-moderate) issues with the .108 release that the next version will likely address some of these. But that regression testing is a bear.

There are a couple Ss and Xs reporting a 2.38.19 version, which is apparently next out of the bucket. Not sure what's different about it, other than showing up on a couple Xs before anything else.

Interesting happened while using AP today. I was nearing my exit and was already in the far right lane. I see a semi ahead but I still had plenty of room to maneuver. I attempt to increase my speed a couple of MPH using the stalk. I was cruising at 70MPH and my max speed indicator was showing 72MPH at the time. Keep in mind that I still had plenty of space between me and the semi but it would not increase speed due to AP seeing a semi in front of me. So I use the turn signal to automatically change lanes and it increases speed to match my max. I think my car buffer setting is at 2-3 but it appears Tesla has changed the behavior when following semis.

So in summary, AP is more human-like except when it veers right or slams on the brakes. And the media player is more difficult to navigate, and is crippled for some.

Anyone enjoying the new voice commands at least ?? Because I'm really starting to wonder if I want this. My car is damn near perfect right now...

Reactions: Wanderer
So in summary, AP is more human-like except when it veers right or slams on the brakes. And the media player is more difficult to navigate, and is crippled for some.

Anyone enjoying the new voice commands at least ?? Because I'm really starting to wonder if I want this. My car is damn near perfect right now...
I really do like the new voice command feature.

I honestly don't think the AP behavior is new to 8.0. A lot of the later 7.1 updates (which you might not have been pushed if you weren't the kind to camp out at service centers trying to chase down those 2.34.xxx updates) started implementing slowing down (regen braking) when the car thinks it senses an obstacle. I presume that was a general reaction from Tesla to the various videos showing Tesla's plowing into stationary objects without hesitation. I do agree that Autosteer stability has gotten a little worse on 8.0.

As far as the media player, personally I think it's a net win except for those who use USB audio sources, in which case it's a huge step back. I primarily use Slacker and radio and I find the new UI makes it a lot easier to switch between these sources in much fewer taps.

Last edited:
I'll add one more. Driving on AP on I-26 south of Asheville. In the left lane, starting to pass a semi on the right, the car veered toward the back of the truck. Scared the $hit out of my wife. If I had not had my hands on the wheel I believe we would have hit the truck. I'm astonished that people don't like the nags. With the way AP is acting in V8, I can't imagine why anyone would be so reckless to not want to be immediately ready to take over. I didn't have this issue with v7.1. Stay safe out there until these defects are corrected.
I was driving South of Asheville on the way to Columbia. Finally gave up on AP due to terrifying swerving and attempting to spear trucks. Do you think it is the lack of system knowledge here on the East Coast?

• Informative
Reactions: Lex and Wanderer