Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a car in October 2016 after enjoying a demo with excellent auto steering, adaptive cruise control, and parking. I was told my car would be delivered in December, with some features temporarily disabled until perhaps the end of the month while the company ensured everything was working smoothly with the greatly improved hardware.

I was not told the company had lost its relationship with their development partner, and would be essentially starting from scratch. So what I unintentionally bought was a kickstarter pre-alpha product.

I should have been more cautious about trusting a guy who communicates via ambiguous Tweets. That's on me. You, too, have a choice: If you find the sardonic humor of people who feel bamboozled unpleasant don't read our posts.

You're right. You should have been more cautious and a more informed buyer. I did the same thing you did and received my car in Dec too, expecting what intest drove. Only, I'm behaving like I know how to own a $145k luxury car rather than whining about it. If you don't want the car, sell or trade it in. #drivelikeuownthebitch

I bought a car in October 2016 after enjoying a demo with excellent auto steering, adaptive cruise control, and parking. I was told my car would be delivered in December, with some features temporarily disabled until perhaps the end of the month while the company ensured everything was working smoothly with the greatly improved hardware.

I was not told the company had lost its relationship with their development partner, and would be essentially starting from scratch. So what I unintentionally bought was a kickstarter pre-alpha product.

I should have been more cautious about trusting a guy who communicates via ambiguous Tweets. That's on me. You, too, have a choice: If you find the sardonic humor of people who feel bamboozled unpleasant don't read our posts.

Not entirely true, they did not lose their relationship with their development partner. They bought new hardware from someone else and originally tried to integrate with the existing platform. That didn't work out so had do more development which takes time.

Tesla wrote their own software. Mobile Eye is/was a hardware partner. NVIDIA is a hardware partner.

Not entirely true, they did not lose their relationship with their development partner. They bought new hardware from someone else and originally tried to integrate with the existing platform. That didn't work out so had do more development which takes time.

Tesla wrote their own software. Mobile Eye is/was a hardware partner. NVIDIA is a hardware partner.

There's a lot of Mobileye software in AP1 as well - and several sources have indicated that the original plan for AP2 included a Mobileye chip as well as the NVidia ones to smooth the transition, which Mobileye prevented from happening.

Given that, I don't think the characterization is unreasonable.

There's a lot of Mobileye software in AP1 as well - and several sources have indicated that the original plan for AP2 included a Mobileye chip as well as the NVidia ones to smooth the transition, which Mobileye prevented from happening.

Given that, I don't think the characterization is unreasonable.

There's a lot of Mobileye drivers in AP1 and I'm sure they are programming in the Mobileye PL but it's Tesla code that Tesla owns. That's like saying Microsoft owns my program because I wrote it to support Windows. I seriously doubt Mobileye prevented having both chipsets in the car at the same time, can you image how Tesla would have managed that? No chance. All speculation I'm sure.

17.14.23 release notes. Not sure why folks are saying they didnt get anything and there are no changes, there def are.
Not dl'd at service center, regular OTA update.

Attachments

• IMG_1029.JPG
    IMG_1029.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 125
You're right. You should have been more cautious and a more informed buyer. I did the same thing you did and received my car in Dec too, expecting what intest drove. Only, I'm behaving like I know how to own a $145k luxury car rather than whining about it. If you don't want the car, sell or trade it in. #drivelikeuownthebitch
What does "I know how to own a $145k luxury car" mean, exactly? Does it mean you lower the bar to 6 feet under ground? Does it mean you let the company who sold you a $145k car break promises and walk all over you? Does it mean you are not allowed to feel emotional about a $145,000 vanity purchase? If behaving like you own a $145k means you become Elon Musk's whipping boy, that's on you my friend.

Actually that's not true either. MobilEye terminated its relationship with Tesla after the deadly Autopilot accident. MobilEye CEO's statement said that Tesla was using its technology in an unapproved, therefore unsafe, manner and MobilEye had no choice but to stop supplying Tesla with hardware that was being purposely used beyond its intended purpose. This strongly implies that Tesla was taking unsafe risks with technology that was never designed to do the things Tesla was attempting to deliver. Out of concern for its own reputation, MobilEye severed its relationship with Tesla. The articles are all over the web. MobilEye was recently bought by Intel for $15B. I'd say they are doing quite well.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Actually that's not true either. MobilEye terminated its relationship with Tesla after the deadly Autopilot accident. MobilEye CEO's statement said that Tesla was using its technology in an unapproved, therefore unsafe, manner and MobilEye had no choice but to stop supplying Tesla with hardware that was being purposely used beyond its intended purpose. This strongly implies that Tesla was taking unsafe risks with technology that was never designed to do the things Tesla was attempting to deliver. Out of concern for its own reputation, MobilEye severed its relationship with Tesla. The articles are all over the web. MobilEye was recently bought by Intel for $15B. I'd say they are doing quite well.

This is probably going to derail real quickly but I'll bite:

Honestly I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle. Of course MobileEye would rather upsell the EyeQ4 and beyond systems which are more robust and reduce the risk to MobileEye at the expense of Tesla accepting a slower roadmap than they'd like, and Tesla buying more (expensive) hardware from a vendor.

And as soon as MobileEye saw that Tesla was investigating their own vision system, I think it's only wise of MobileEye to forbid Tesla from co-training their vision system using the EyeQ3 as backup. AI / neural-net cloning is quite easy to do, and a huge legal gray area in terms of how IP laws play into it.

Bottom line, each had their own reasons for doing what they did. And each side is telling a story that makes them sound in the right and the other sound in the wrong. With the way that MobileEye is courting other vendors and pointing to AP1 (and arguably a lot of Tesla work fine-tuning steering control loops and TACC brake ramping) as their success story, it seemed lose-lose for Tesla and MobileEye to work together any longer.

But hey, we just saw a Nissan Leaf prototype truck-lust, and the 2017 7 Series with MobileEye based lane holding seems to chicken out as soon as the lane lines start curving. I think the rational conclusion is that a lot of credit goes to both MobileEye and Tesla for how well AP1 performs. And I think both parties will take a short-term setback from breaking off the relationship, but I also believe both parties will end up fine in the long run.

What does "I know how to own a $145k luxury car" mean, exactly? Does it mean you lower the bar to 6 feet under ground? Does it mean you let the company who sold you a $145k car break promises and walk all over you? Does it mean you are not allowed to feel emotional about a $145,000 vanity purchase? If behaving like you own a $145k means you become Elon Musk's whipping boy, that's on you my friend.

Boy, you really told me. Feel better?