Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find this to be the most important improvement in the safe use of Autopilot. Complacency in the use of automated systems on aircraft is one of the leading causes of accidents. And the actions/attitudes of the pilots is very similar, they believe that the aircraft can do a better job than they can (probably true) and that they don't have to engage or pay attention to their surroundings (definitely not true).

Not to detract from the above, and only an n of 1, but a former student with lots of experience flying under adverse conditions under contract with the CIA in Africa, for example, and up to and including 747 cargo experience believes he and others have the edge because they have vastly more experience and recent practice in actually landing the aircraft themselves, etc. The recent crash at SFO of I believe an asian owned airliner which had a glide path short of the beginning of the runway is probably the best example. Also, the mid atlantic crash of an airbus in a storm when the pitot tubes were iced up illustrates the point.

A lot of pilot error occurs not just because of alertness but also lack of practice in actually flying the aircraft. That suggests to me an occasional high speed run up a winding road once and a while to make sure we have the edge needed. Or, a simulator?

Not to detract from the above, and only an n of 1, but a former student with lots of experience flying under adverse conditions under contract with the CIA in Africa, for example, and up to and including 747 cargo experience believes he and others have the edge because they have vastly more experience and recent practice in actually landing the aircraft themselves, etc. The recent crash at SFO of I believe an asian owned airliner which had a glide path short of the beginning of the runway is probably the best example. Also, the mid atlantic crash of an airbus in a storm when the pitot tubes were iced up illustrates the point.

A lot of pilot error occurs not just because of alertness but also lack of practice in actually flying the aircraft. That suggests to me an occasional high speed run up a winding road once and a while to make sure we have the edge needed. Or, a simulator?

This is the point I was hoping to suggest. I have some aviation experience and a few relatives who fly professionally, the lack of practice issue is discussed often. This is also why young and old drivers/pilots have accidents.

I think that it would be a fabulous idea for Tesla or Bondurant to run a driving school based on electric cars or Teslas. In a controlled environment to learn what your car (and more importantly you) can and can't do. Like all things in life a casual attitude toward knowledge is a very risky thing.

This is the point I was hoping to suggest. I have some aviation experience and a few relatives who fly professionally, the lack of practice issue is discussed often. This is also why young and old drivers/pilots have accidents.

I think that it would be a fabulous idea for Tesla or Bondurant to run a driving school based on electric cars or Teslas. In a controlled environment to learn what your car (and more importantly you) can and can't do. Like all things in life a casual attitude toward knowledge is a very risky thing.
I would like to know the limits of my 85D. I have been unable to get it to slip even in 6" of snow and ice.

Great idea!

I just turned 80 and had a pacemaker installed 4 days after I fainted just before crashing into the back of my garage. Further, have noticed I've slowed so much an intersection with blocked cars can't be navigated quickly by me. (Last look in one direction and then the other takes too much time.) Soon I shall be required by DMV, or my wife, to be tested on the road again. Further, as a retired, and somewhat enfeebled college professor of politics (an "extinguished professor," as my Thai wife says) I greatly appreciate your warning about "a casual attitude toward knowledge," any knowledge.

I am letting my wife drive more, but her driving–though safe—drives me nuts. There are always tradeoffs in old age but its hard for a control-freak like myself.

• Love
Reactions: Johann Koeber
Great idea!

I just turned 80 and had a pacemaker installed 4 days after I fainted just before crashing into the back of my garage. Further, have noticed I've slowed so much an intersection with blocked cars can't be navigated quickly by me. (Last look in one direction and then the other takes too much time.) Soon I shall be required by DMV, or my wife, to be tested on the road again. Further, as a retired, and somewhat enfeebled college professor of politics (an "extinguished professor," as my Thai wife says) I greatly appreciate your warning about "a casual attitude toward knowledge," any knowledge.

I am letting my wife drive more, but her driving–though safe—drives me nuts. There are always tradeoffs in old age but its hard for a control-freak like myself.
I'm hoping that the car gets better at driving faster than I get worse.

Yeah, that should be interesting. In my experience, "1" isn't close enough to deter everyone, but is close enough to make it dangerous when they come in, so I have been setting it to "3" and just letting things happen even though it encourages and rewards idiots. It'll be interesting to see what the new firmware does.

I stick to 3 normal conditions, 2 in stop and go

Euh… . Heb dit inderdaad zaterdagavond daar aan de lijve ondervonden! :eek: Kwam van Villers richting Gent.
Het begint lichtjes met zwalpen, maar begint dan nogal heftig te "schudden". Ik reed op het middenvak en stak net een vrachtwagen voor.
Heb angstvallig AP maar 'losgetrokken' en overgenomen, maar mijn drie passagiers vroegen onmiddellijk "Wat gebeurt er?"
Hmm, blijkbaar een lokaal probleem daar; ik had het nog niet eerder zo meegemaakt… . :confused:

Pokemon hotspot?! :D

Hoe dan ook, AP (ik vind Assist Pilot nog steeds een betere benaming i.p.v. Auto Pilot) gaat weer een stap voorwaarts. Fleetlearning kan volgens mij ook nog meer brengen echter hoop ik (en vele met mij) dat de navigatie ook wordt opgepakt. Ik vind het werkelijk onbegrijpelijk dat dit niet opgepakt wordt. Hier (in NL) op de nieuwe A4 gaat de Tesla (nog steeds) vol in de ankers (lees: rem) nabij afslag Delft (richting zuiden) waar voorheen de snelweg stopte maar inmiddels 2 jaar open/doorgetrokken is.

Ik heb me veelvuldig afgevraagd (door AP in stand te laten maar gas/Watt bij te geven waardoor remmen dus overruled werd) wanneer deze levensgevaarlijke ingreep weg gelaten zou worden… Wellicht met 8.0/8.1maar dit had eerder opgelost moeten zijn, iedere dag is een potentieel gevaar voor een mega klapper daar (met achteropkomend verkeer)

We (Tesla) is goed op weg maar heeft nog wel een eind te gaan voordat het werkelijk het predicaat Auto Pilot verdiend. Tot die tijd noem ik het Assist Pilot, zo leg ik het ook uit aan passagiers/belangstellende.

Ik kon het niet laten om een reactie te geven, want iedereen heeft weer een meningetje klaar:

Ik lees veel meningen en daar heeft iedereen m.i. recht op. Als Tesla-rijder denk ik echter me in een beter geïnformeerde positie te bevinden dan wie zijn informatie uit de pers haalt rond autopilot (en ander Teslanieuws).

Ik durf te zeggen dat:
- dit een heerlijke wagen is om mee te rijden. Klinkt als een fanboy, maar ik ben er nu eenmaal heel tevreden over.
- Autopilot uitstekend werkt. Niet perfect, maar ik weet wanneer ik er kan op rekenen en wanneer niet. Deze zomer reden we 's nachts naar Italië (op reis) en ik denk dat ik 3 x veiliger reed op Autopilot dan als ik volledig zelf had gereden.
- Autopilot ondersteunend werkt. Een beetje zoals spellingscorrectie: die kan je helpen tegen schrijffouten, maar uiteindelijk ben je zelf verantwoordelijk voor de dt-fouten. Zie sommige reacties ;-).

Versie 8 moet een verbetering worden van iets wat nu al heel goed werk levert. Als je op tv hoort dat een product is vernieuwd, betekent dat ook niet persé dat de vorige versie rommel was, nie

After reading various articles and the blog post, one question comes to mind: under 8.0, will my car activate AEB when there is a coke can rolling laterally across the highway, with the bottom facing the radar? All the conditions would be met, no?

- large object (at least to the radar)
- object is moving
- object is not whitelisted

Het spijt me zeer, maar de meeste reacties op automedia-fora (net als bredere kranten-fora) op bvb de AP van Tesla zijn van domme mensen; die nooit iets gepresteerd hebben, of zullen presteren in hun leven. Klinkt hard, maar zo is het. (Overstijgt overigens het AP-verhaal)

Als je pas iets mag doen of op de markt brengen als dat perfect is; dan leefden we nog in het era van voor het stenen tijdperk.
Het is dank zij het voortschrijdende inzicht dat we verder evolueren.
V7 met autopilot was een stap in autonoom en veiliger rijden. V8 wordt een volgende stap - maar is nog niet het eindpunt.

Ook V8 zal niet perfect zijn. En er zullen op korte termijn weer wat berichten in de media komen; zelfs hier in het 'janken'-draadje.
Gelukkig is Tesla (en E. Musk) koppig genoeg om gestaag verder te werken aan V9.

After reading various articles and the blog post, one question comes to mind: under 8.0, will my car activate AEB when there is a coke can rolling laterally across the highway, with the bottom facing the radar? All the conditions would be met, no?

- large object (at least to the radar)
- object is moving
- object is not whitelisted

Exactly. 8.0 is starting to look a lot like hubris & ego.

Autopilot started life as a 3rd party system that Telsa refined into great experience.

Instead of chasing down a rabbit hole trying to rebuild the house after everyone has moved in, the AP team should be working on AP2, fine-tuning a new solution with a new supplier, new sensors, etc.

For example: the camera has built-in hardware for deciding what is a car, what is a speed limit sign, etc. The radar does not. Where in the current setup is the 3D point-cloud going to be turned from a mathematical model in the radar hardware into "this is a coke can"?

WS
Wow, indeed, lijkt inderdaad écht veelbelovend! Ook al omdat iets anders me opviel: het gebruik van de toekomstige tijd in wat Tesla zegt over fleet learning:

"This is where fleet learning comes in handy. Initially, the vehicle fleet will take no action except to note the position of road signs, bridges and other stationary objects, mapping the world according to radar. The car computer will then silently compare when it would have braked to the driver action and upload that to the Tesla database. If several cars drive safely past a given radar object, whether Autopilot is turned on or off, then that object is added to the geocoded whitelist."

Dat AP beter is geworden de laatste maanden is zeker, maar van dat fleet learning (of gewoon van 147-maal-zelf-over-dezelfde-plek-rijden-learning) heb ik toch nog niet veel gevoeld. Wie wil moet eens de test doen op Brusselse Ring Oost komende van Waterloo: precies op de plek waar je Vlaanderen binnenrijdt (toeval natuurlijk, maar het is wel precies die plek, waar het bord "Hoeilaart" verschijnt) begint de auto de zigzaggen (geldt op beide rijstroken, richting noord). Als ik alleen ben en er is geen tientonner naast me laat ik de auto doen, en na 500 meter vindt ie na lang zwabberen zijn weg dan wel terug, maar als ik mijn echtgenote als passagier heb moet ik toch meteen ingrijpen en heb ik telkens recht op ongeveer 15 seconden slechte poëzie over AP. En er zijn nog wel andere plekken in mijn buurt waar ik zelf telkens al 147 keer heb moeten ingrijpen en AP vandaag nog niet begrijpt waarom.

En dus vind ik het gebruik van de toekomstige tijd veelbelovend. Die fleet learning (vermoedelijk al bijna twee jaar geleden aangevat) zal zich nu dus eindelijk in resultaten omzetten :)

Alsook:
Curve speed adaptation now uses fleet-learned roadway curvature
Waaruit volgt dat dit nog niet het geval was ...