Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One thing which changed on the media player that I sorely miss is the ability to get to artists or albums on my USB drive by touching the letter of the alphabet. Now it appears scrolling through dozens of pages or typing in a search (which did not find my content) are the only two ways to get to later sections of the catalog. Zydeco and Zappa are a very long way from Abba on my USB. In the past they were each two touches away from each other. My preliminary search attempts across all platforms did not find what was in my iTunes folders.
Oh good god. So it's like they took the stick they were poking into our left eye and removed it... so they could poke it into our right eye.

• Funny
Reactions: NikeWings
Who uses radar for blind spot detection? Everyone uses ultrasonic.
I could be wrong if the technology is really "radar", but given the two examples I'm familiar with are hidden behind the quarter panels, I doubt it can be ultrasonic. In any case, here's two examples where there are distinct extra devices to enable BSM:
  1. On a 2013 Lexus RX which I owned, the BSM option added two physical devices low and behind the back wheel quarter panel on each side of the vehicle. They were not visible from outside like we are familiar with ultrasonics and even front-facing radar used for TACC/AP/Radar Cruise Control/etc. Both devices were only factory installed for BSM in addition to the standard parking assist ultrasonics on the front and rear bumper. I just verified the 2016 RX Owners Manual actually shows a diagram of the two devices on either side of the vehicle with annotations if a warning is presented that BSM has become non-operational, to first check for dirt/snow/mud build-up in those areas. There is no mention to check the parking ultrasonics in such a situation. While I can't prove it, I believe the combination of these two additional (radar?) sensors with the parking assist ultrasonics where used for more complete 180-degree+ BSM operation.
  2. My 2014 MBZ SLK also had similar additional specialized devices for their BSM equivalent in the same side locations as part of the special-ordered Distronic Plus package -- also in addition to the front/back parking assist sensors.

What ever happend to absent side mirrors? While it was on a prototype, presumably there were cameras? Which would then make for a software solution for blind spot monitoring...

They were based on a promised change to NHTSA regulations - promised a few years ago, but hasn't happened yet.

Right now I believe it's illegal to sell a new car in the US without a flat left mirror and a convex right mirror.

See my video below, no Apple Carplay or Android Auto, but just an updated in-house media app. USB navigation has been updated for the better except the removal of browsing by name via the alphabet scroller on the side, now you need to scroll and scroll and scroll to get through the list.

youtube.com/watch?v=UjMn_7VSePU

Thanks again for your review video.

Deal killer for me. I have nearly a thousand albums and artists. Astonishing that they're still not including USB content in the search as it would 1) reduce their reliance on Slacker, 2) give you guaranteed play by song in voice search if you have the song locally, 3) reduce their data usage on AT&T(which Tesla pays for) 4) provide a more convenient way to search for and select your local music. The jump by letter was the only way to navigate large lists of local music since search wouldn't include USB media. Now they've taken that away and we have no way to navigate except manually scrolling through long long lists :( Any chance they're at least now using the local folder art? Half the images are the wrong ones for the albums I have because wherever they download them from doesn't have the correct image. If they just simply used the folder art in the actual folder on the USB drive like every other MP3 player on the face of the earth, the artwork would be correct, immediate, and it would reduce data usage on AT&T's network.

Reactions: Cyclone
@Nbryce Much appreciated. I'd try it myself, but the service center has my car until at least this afternoon. And who can wait that long?!
It did not take the exit. I had a navigation route on as well as autopilot. I put on my turn signal as I approached the exit as if I was going to make a lane change. It did not take the exit and I took over the steering to make the exit. Too bad, guess I will have to wait for 8.1.

I hope they fixed podcast favorites. After navigating through randomly organized podcast menus and finding the one I wanted, I could only add a single podcast episode as a favorite. I hope the new interface allows me to make a podcast title a favorite too.

Apple engineers probably crack up at the Tesla UI and use it as an example of what NOT to do. I'm hoping 8.0 is better ... but early reviews regarding the removal of the jump scrolling being gone is a real bummer.

Reactions: Cyclone
It did not take the exit. I had a navigation route on as well as autopilot. I put on my turn signal as I approached the exit as if I was going to make a lane change. It did not take the exit and I took over the steering to make the exit. Too bad, guess I will have to wait for 8.1.

Nuts. I was really looking forward to that. Oh well, I'm sure we'll get it eventually. Thanks for the report!

Updated about an hour ago and just drove 30 miles with it.

Quick thoughts:
1) I love the new more aggressive regen. Before this, even with 40k miles of driving experience I would still find myself needing to brake more when misjudging a big slow down (say from 60 mph to a stop at a red light). The new aggresive regen allows for more flexibility to adjust the pedal and get the desired reduction in speed.

2) Interface, love it. Just like 7.0, it will take some getting used to but so far I really like it. The new media player will get some time to get familiar. It seems quite a bit faster. Maybe its a placebo effect, but it seems that the searching and playing new songs is much more responsive.

3) New voice controls. Didn't know if I would love it, but I do. So much more intuitive. Instead of pressing and holding down the button and mistiming my commands, it just works much better. "Play King Nothing by Metallica" and literally 2 seconds later it's playing.

4) Autopilot. Seems to be much more smooth and in control. Going around curves it seems more confident. It still is not confident however going over sharp hills. Cresting a sharp hill, it will still wander around but doesn't seem to be as drastic. Instead of a "Holy crap what do I do?" like before, its' more or less "hmmm a little unsure, need help here." It also does better with hugging the side of the line that you need to when passing another vehicle.

My only gripe so far is they removed the ability to choose what you right scroll wheel does. I had it set to change the media. I would use it constantly to switch between XM, TuneIn, and Slacker. Now I have no ability to do that from the steering wheel. Scrolling the right wheel only allows you to switch between sunroof, temperature. However, I may have missed something. So if someone on here knows how to change it back, I would appreciate it.

So far, two thumbs up.

Thanks again for your review video.

Deal killer for me. I have nearly a thousand albums and artists. Astonishing that they're still not including USB content in the search as it would 1) reduce their reliance on Slacker, 2) give you guaranteed play by song in voice search if you have the song locally, 3) reduce their data usage on AT&T(which Tesla pays for) 4) provide a more convenient way to search for and select your local music. The jump by letter was the only way to navigate large lists of local music since search wouldn't include USB media. Now they've taken that away and we have no way to navigate except manually scrolling through long long lists :( Any chance they're at least now using the local folder art? Half the images are the wrong ones for the albums I have because wherever they download them from doesn't have the correct image. If they just simply used the folder art in the actual folder on the USB drive like every other MP3 player on the face of the earth, the artwork would be correct, immediate, and it would reduce data usage on AT&T's network.

Answered on Youtube, but for the group on here:

Total bummer they dont include USB in the search results, my guess is that its much quicker to make a OTA query to the media services than it is to search locally on a USB drive, again just my guess. If they were to include a 256GB drive the search would lag trying to index and crawl that drive presumably??

As of now I do not see album art when I play a USB track, its possible that its required to be in a specific format/folder structure to be seen but as of now playing an album that I know has art is not showing will test more later.

Is it unusual that "8.0" is 2.36.106 and 7.1 was 2.36.31? Really only a sub-dot release? Does that mean almost everything except the final UI has been living under the covers in the code for a while?

I wouldn't read a whole lot into the build versioning. It doesn't seem to make sense to any of us outside of Tesla, although it probably means something to Tesla Engineering. Judge the software on its merits (or lack thereof), not by what a more-or-less arbitrary build number is.

Bruce.

My car is a July 2016 delivery 60D with AP (with wifi connected). I started the update around 6am this morning and it finished around 7:30am. Below are some of my (first) impressions of the changes.

Changes in AP is noticeable. AP is much more smooth and the ride is more comfortable -- follows the car in front better and brakes more smoothly and earlier. Previously, when someone is hugging the left line (when I'm on his/her left), I would take AP off as AP likes to maintain in the center of the lane, which is too close for me. New AP seems to move left a bit to maintain some distance. Haven't tried this on the right lane with someone on my left. Also, it requires me to hold the wheel more often -- before it was about 3 times whereas now it's about 6 (didn't actually count).

AC is much better now. I was actually getting cold this morning whereas before I'd have to lower the temperature to be comfortable. Climate control accounts for solar heating to maintain a consistent temperature in the cabin -- calculates needs based on angle of the sun!

Improved regenerative braking seems to improve Wh/miles. Previously, I was getting about 275 Wh/m, but today it was about 260 Wh/m. Could be an outlier and may have to be tested more.

I only listen to music on my iPhone so media player changes don't really affect me much. The favorites are more accessible so that's pretty nice.

As for the navigation changes, I like more real estate, but think there should be an option to disable that feature. Clicking on the map shows the menu bar and the menu bar auto-hides within a few seconds (sorry didn't time it). Jury is still out on this as I haven't used this much (and I know the way to work).

Overall, I love the changes. They made a lot of changes that improve the drive and comfort.

Reactions: Casavant and Yuri_G
Updated about an hour ago and just drove 30 miles with it.

Quick thoughts:
1) I love the new more aggressive regen. Before this, even with 40k miles of driving experience I would still find myself needing to brake more when misjudging a big slow down (say from 60 mph to a stop at a red light). The new aggresive regen allows for more flexibility to adjust the pedal and get the desired reduction in speed.

2) Interface, love it. Just like 7.0, it will take some getting used to but so far I really like it. The new media player will get some time to get familiar. It seems quite a bit faster. Maybe its a placebo effect, but it seems that the searching and playing new songs is much more responsive.

3) New voice controls. Didn't know if I would love it, but I do. So much more intuitive. Instead of pressing and holding down the button and mistiming my commands, it just works much better. "Play King Nothing by Metallica" and literally 2 seconds later it's playing.

4) Autopilot. Seems to be much more smooth and in control. Going around curves it seems more confident. It still is not confident however going over sharp hills. Cresting a sharp hill, it will still wander around but doesn't seem to be as drastic. Instead of a "Holy crap what do I do?" like before, its' more or less "hmmm a little unsure, need help here." It also does better with hugging the side of the line that you need to when passing another vehicle.

My only gripe so far is they removed the ability to choose what you right scroll wheel does. I had it set to change the media. I would use it constantly to switch between XM, TuneIn, and Slacker. Now I have no ability to do that from the steering wheel. Scrolling the right wheel only allows you to switch between sunroof, temperature. However, I may have missed something. So if someone on here knows how to change it back, I would appreciate it.

So far, two thumbs up.

2) Media player is definitely faster! plays songs instantly and displays album art equally fast!

3) Voice Controls are definitely much improved and being able to see the command being recognized is awesome, However, the list of commands is still lacking, will do a video on this when time permits.

4) I noticed the same, much smoother much more confident, and more poised under uncertainty. Will do a video this evening.

Scroll wheel - Agreed they limited the scroll wheels functions, I guess since they've made the touch screen more accessible they felt they didnt need it. The other MAJOR thing they got rid of and is a pain to use is the "Quick Call" button!!! Since the voice commands are press to activate instead of hold, there is no way to press the voice command button to bring up your recent calls....now I need to go through the scroll wheel select phone and THEN dial....super bummed about that.