Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whoa, I wonder how Tesla can get data from these weird "drive off road" reports, assuming they are real. AP 8.0 has been quite solid for me, but I just drive normal roads in the Bay Area.

Happened to me driving north on a straight section of Hwy 85 near Saratoga. The car spent a number of seconds with the wheels in the left shoulder before pulling the car back into the lane.

I've driven that section of road a lot on AP. Never had issues before v8.

Last edited:
Yes! I found that yesterday. My son is learning the sax and wanted to hear Glen Miller's "In the Mood" but it played "In the Mood" by Robert Plant. I had no choice (not that I minded. Excellent song). Only the typed in search allows a choice.
Or you can press the voice command option and say, "play In the Mood by Glen Miller".

Whoa, I wonder how Tesla can get data from these weird "drive off road" reports, assuming they are real. AP 8.0 has been quite solid for me, but I just drive normal roads in the Bay Area.

Also, it may be that Tesla completely underestimated how many people are using giant USB music collections. From TMC complaint volume, it looks like 95% of drivers have massive USB collections. Tesla surely knows USB implementation sucks right now (our dear Ingineer complained during the beta) but decided it was too small a slice of the population to hold back the redesign. Let's hope 8.1 straightens it out.
It doesn't take a massive USB collection to think this version is less usable while driving than the previous versions. I only have about 30 albums on USB and I much prefer the old player.

EAP = Early Adopter Program aka Beta Testers.

A little known group of Tesla Employees and Owners who perform tests on unreleased software.
The number of, qualifications of, and other details are unknown.
Apparently the EAP participants are sworn to secerecy during and after the testing.
It is unknown how the EAP participants are chosen or even if the EAP group is the same for each test.

FWIW, I emailed ServiceHelpNA with a report about Autosteer in 8.0 being more swimmy and unreliable on one segment of my daily commute with washed out lane lines (anyone else take CA-85 S between 237 and 280?)

Curious what they'll say. It's close enough to Fremont that it wouldn't be too much effort to send an engineer over.

Reactions: AWDtsla
I saw the same thing today on my 20 mile drive home. While in the middle of three lanes with no one on the left side, the car turned towards the back of an 18-wheeler's trailer that was in the right-lane, fortunately I had my hand on the wheel and turned back toward the left quickly. I've never had that happen in the year I've had my car.

On the same commute I also had the car brake for no apparent reason a couple of times.

I just received the update last night and have only driven to work and back on auto-pilot one time. It appears 8.0 AP is definitely going to require a lot more baby-sitting than before.

I also experienced this this morning where the car "dove" to the right towards a vehicle in the next lane. I was on the wheel and corrected but it was very odd.

I emailed the SC to report it as well.

Last edited:
In fairness, none of us know what the EAP testing showed up or how Tesla reacted to it or how they plan to react. Relevance of any subset of users to the wider group of owners can never be perfect.

Just reading through the thread(s) it seems to me (unscientifically) that the users with the biggest media player issues are those who seem to most frequently listen to enormous libraries on USB. I have no idea how that reflects in terms of average usage; for my 2c I'll just say that I have a limited number of songs (maybe ~700) on the USB, it indexed once and has been smooth and easy ever since. Overall I listen to XM, TuneIn or Streaming most often and the UI is much improved over the old version; my one wish would be to get the channel descriptors on XM station favorites buttons.

I bet if we took a poll, and based on the reaction here, I would say that 1 in 4 use USB media as a frequent or primary source of USB audio. But I would say 1 in 10 has a large collection, greater than 1000 songs. Maybe 1 in 20 is sitting at 10k tracks or more.

That's still 25k, 10k, and 5k drivers respectively in north america. Not trivial in the least.

Or.....they were instructed to focus 95% of their time on AP.
I don't think they are instructed. And I have a very hard time thinking that either the dev team or the EAP testers did anything necessarily wrong. I think this is the NEMA 14-30 all over again. I think Tesla has underestimated just how many people use USB media as a primary audio source, and therefore never thought to look into extensive testing for large USB media collections.

You are exactly right. We all knew when we signed on that we would be on the bleeding edge of technology.

*However*, with regards to the media player, they literally broke a feature (alpha shortcuts) by removing it. This now causes a severe distraction when trying to navigate the folder structure (it also plain doesn't work in practice). This is in addition to the other bugs they introduced into the new version. Now, yes, there are some solid improvements, and I applaud them for that, especially because they are improvements that I specifically suggested last year along with many others. But they've also taken something that worked, and made it not work. And I want to communicate that in the most respectful and polite a way as possible without discouraging them about the strides forward they made.

Seriously? How you gonna dislike my post and then follow up with a quote that I'm "exactly right"???

I don't think they "broke" it, but that feature wasn't completed in time for the release.

Someone was pushing for a deadline for release and they had to make the tough call about which features would be implemented by that time. Software is never "finished." It's all about which features get implemented for a given deadline. I believe it will return...but it hadn't reached feature-complete in time for 8.0. Either they ship the crappy 7.1 MP or released the mostly finished 8.0. I think they made the right call.

Of course, I'm a little more patient and understanding about software, since I'm a developer myself, so I'll hit this with the ever-popular (though somewhat ironic) YMMV. Oops. Sore subject. Sorry @hutch.

I bet if we took a poll, and based on the reaction here, I would say that 1 in 4 use USB media as a frequent or primary source of USB audio. But I would say 1 in 10 has a large collection, greater than 1000 songs. Maybe 1 in 20 is sitting at 10k tracks or more.

That's still 25k, 10k, and 5k drivers respectively in north america. Not trivial in the least.
Sorry, statistics doesn't work that way.

Even if you get a 1 in 4 stat from the forum, I can argue that the forum is a more tech-savvy representation of the average Tesla owner. As such, the more tech savvy are more likely to use USB media. And your 25k people using USB goes down the drain.

As a side note, please start a poll. I bet it's a lot less than 1 in 4. But I could be dead wrong.

Reactions: SeminoleFSU
Just reading through the thread(s) it seems to me (unscientifically) that the users with the biggest media player issues are those who seem to most frequently listen to enormous libraries on USB.

My collection is hardly enormous. But, it's a pain to navigate without the quick select A B C D... buttons. Scrolling sucks - it's slow, and god forbid my finger isn't smoothly moving across the screen due to any sort of road imperfection, the car things I've selected an item and shows it. When, I touch the backwards icon, I'm back at the top of the list again and get to scroll all over again.

I really don't think this affects just folks with enormous libraries.

You have wonder where the QA department is. It's trivial to mock up a USB with 50,000 songs, 5000 artists, and 5000 albums. I'm guessing the QA department tried it, and the engineering folks said "tough, elon tweeted about 8.0, so we're shipping it no matter what"

Reactions: jgs
A high level engineer needs to review the usability of every aspect of the car, and veto new "features" which contribute negatively to that. **it talking on here clearly isn't going to fix this problem, and neither is emailing Tesla. There have been plenty of things pointed out on these forums which have either not had any attention or gone backwards.

Reactions: u00mem9
I don't think they "broke" it, but that feature wasn't completed in time for the release.
It's difficult to understand how some of the observed behaviors (e.g., scan of USB stick not reliably completing) can be described as anything other than broken. It's not a value judgement, it's a factual description of reality. One may acknowledge something is broken while still deciding it's not a high enough priority to warrant holding up the release, that's perfectly normal. But redefining it as "not broken" would be a perverse way of accomplishing that.

Sorry, statistics doesn't work that way.
Right.
Even if you get a 1 in 4 stat from the forum, I can argue that the forum is a more tech-savvy representation of the average Tesla owner. As such, the more tech savvy are more likely to use USB media. And your 25k people using USB goes down the drain.
So your made-up stats refute his made-up stats. I see what you did there.

I don't think they are instructed. And I have a very hard time thinking that either the dev team or the EAP testers did anything necessarily wrong. I think this is the NEMA 14-30 all over again. I think Tesla has underestimated just how many people use USB media as a primary audio source, and therefore never thought to look into extensive testing for large USB media collections.

You are probably correct. I would use streaming much more if streaming services were always available where I travel. And on turnpikes and freeways that is usually the case. However, in all fairness, on the back roads of Connecticut which are hilly and full of dead spots for LTE coverage, my trusty USB harmonica with 4 sticks does come in handy. Sometimes environment shapes behaviors. In the past I could just look over and see the LTE signal as having been gone and switch to USB music. (BTW, I only have about 400 FLACs and MP3's on each stick so frankly the directory build is very quick on those USBs and as such I would not have reported a problem per se.)

Now, ahem.... I have to reach over and touch the NAV map (to minimize it) just to see if the LTE signal is gone.

Regarding the EAP testers.... I for one would hope, in the future, that Tesla Motors devotes a certain subset of the EAP testers to just focus upon the Media and Entertainment system and another group to focus just on the Navigation system. Those two sub-systems are very important to me and I suspect others here as well. Tesla needs to get serious on this, really. Tesla cannot be doing this kind of sophomoric quality testing on the Model 3 crowd. All joking aside. It will not play well.

Last edited:
Where did I make up stats? I quoted his made up stats of 1 in 4 and 25k.
You're right, I was being sloppy. "I can argue that the forum is a more tech-savvy representation of the average Tesla owner. As such, the more tech savvy are more likely to use USB media" isn't a stat. Do you like "your hand-waving refutes his made-up stats" better? Actually I'm not trying to pick a fight, it just made me smile and I thought I'd share. (Actually I thought you did it on purpose.)
And you'd like to argue that less tech savvy people are more likely to use USB? :confused:
No, I don't really want to argue at all, although I would like the bug fixed. But no amount of discussing it on TMC will get that. If I did want to argue something I'd argue that you can either bring data from a well-designed survey to the table, or you're waving your hands. That's OK, we all do it. FWIW there appears to be a contingent who views USB audio to be virtually as quaint as wax cylinders, maybe those people would view the codgers who use USB audio to be hopelessly unsophisticated. Point being you can "prove" almost anything by handwaving. So yes, I agree with your original point, "statistics don't work that way."

Reactions: Max*