Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, wipers worked fine - I am getting the submarine option for the next car if this rain keeps up..
I believe they have left that option in. But it requires the air suspension. If you have the air suspension, long press the T at the top of the screen, and enter 007 in the box that pops up. Then look at your suspension adjustment screen.

• Funny
Reactions: msnow
Sorry, statistics doesn't work that way.

Even if you get a 1 in 4 stat from the forum, I can argue that the forum is a more tech-savvy representation of the average Tesla owner. As such, the more tech savvy are more likely to use USB media. And your 25k people using USB goes down the drain.

As a side note, please start a poll. I bet it's a lot less than 1 in 4. But I could be dead wrong.
Sorry, statistics doesn't work that way.

Even if you get a 1 in 4 stat from the forum, I can argue that the forum is a more tech-savvy representation of the average Tesla owner. As such, the more tech savvy are more likely to use USB media. And your 25k people using USB goes down the drain.

As a side note, please start a poll. I bet it's a lot less than 1 in 4. But I could be dead wrong.

My anecdotal experience tends to bear out your suppositions. I have noticed at superchargers that the Tesla demographic seems to be at least half over 50 (it's an expensive car, after all) and, in conversations with people, I have found maybe 20% who know about TMC.com, so the participants here are already self selected. Fewer than half knew what easter eggs are and fewer still knew they existed in Tesla code, so I would suppose that the technical knowledge level of owners I have encountered is not particularly high, suggesting that they might not be savvy tech media users.

Mine is doing it also, I have had 8.0 for a week and up until now it has been great, but has rebooted non-stop. I spoke to Tesla corporate and they are aware of the problem and their tech guys are on it, sounds like a widespread problem.
You spoke to who at Tesla corporate? That would be very unusual as they always put you with your Service Center not Corp.

Add me to the list with the reboots. Been fine since I got 8 on Monday, but this afternoon on my 20 minute drive it rebooted probably 6 times. I finally did a hard reboot of the screen and it did not occur again - but I was almost home at that point. Weird that it would start all of a sudden like that across the fleet.

Today my center screen started rebooting, it rebooted about six times in a row. Don't know if it is 8.0 related, this is the third time I have driven since getting 8.0. The S connected tried to connect to a Starbucks WiFi just before it started.

Mine too. 4 times during a short drive today. I've had 8.0 for several days and just started happening, then it stopped on the drive home. I wonder if they pushed a corrupt AP tile update or something.

I took my first drive using 8.0 today and my 17" touchscreen rebooted itself spontaneously. After the reboot, my navigation did not receive any updates over the course of about 20 miles and showed a gray screen even though I had 3-4 bars LTE signal and had no trouble streaming music.

Whoa, I wonder how Tesla can get data from these weird "drive off road" reports, assuming they are real. AP 8.0 has been quite solid for me, but I just drive normal roads in the Bay Area.

Also, it may be that Tesla completely underestimated how many people are using giant USB music collections. From TMC complaint volume, it looks like 95% of drivers have massive USB collections. Tesla surely knows USB implementation sucks right now (our dear Ingineer complained during the beta) but decided it was too small a slice of the population to hold back the redesign. Let's hope 8.1 straightens it out.
I have over 16,000 songs on my 128gb USB drive.

It was probably a problem with the destination and/or Supercharger lists. (That a corrupt update to one of them got sent out, so they had to create a new update to send to correct it.)

It sounds like you shouldn't have to do anything. (No new software/firmware to install.)

That's my guess, some database update that happens silently went badly wrong. Hopefully they look at better sanitizing their inputs, that's a security issue.

One thing I really want someday is large animal detection at night. Since that requires a FLIR sensor on the front of the car so I don't know that we will ever get it. We have way more animals to hit than people in the state of Montana and both Audi and Mercedes have night vision detection that can see an animal off the side of the road, at night and warn the driver to slow or where to look to see deer, moose, bison, elk, bear or wolves. (I had a wolf jump out in front of my car in Yellowstone last September during the blood red moon, I have never felt more intimidated by an animal in my life, I must have checked my windows 20 times to make sure they were rolled up!) I think that will be a major safety improvement if we can ever get large animal detection.

Car radar can see large animals - some of the current production radars are certified to detect pedestrians at 100m/330ft; moose/elk/bison should be easily detectable, wolves and deer somewhat more problematic but possible. I'm not sure if you need the whitelist for this, or just more clever code.

A night vision camera would be nice, of course - but Tesla can probably get some useful warning out of the existing hardware eventually.

Reactions: DrGuest