Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't really need this functionality at the moment...I already know the car's MAC address. It just seems weird that I can't get it right now. I'll reboot the CID in the morning and see if that makes it better.

Update: All better after a CID reboot.

Must be some silly Linux networking thing. :)

Bruce.

I got 8.0 on Monday, then went up to Tahoe for a few days starting Tuesday. For me 8.0 is a noticeable improvement in AP. Driving around the lake, on 28 between Incline Village and the junction with 50 (somewhat twisty two lane well marked highway), it consistently kept in its lane while maintaining appropriate speed and distance (slowing for sharp curves was much better). Once or twice it pulled to the right for no apparent reason and I overrode it. I also overrode it once while passing bicyclists where I wanted to give them more room that it was going to (requiring that I drive over the center double yellow).

There were a couple of places with construction and a single lane with flagmen. Once it got lucky and handled it all on its own! The time where the lane was demarcated by pylons and was right on top of double yellow lines it didn't handle at all -- I'm not certain because I overrode it but I think it would have just driven into the pylons. It also did not recognize the orange placards with construction speed limits specified even though they looked sort of like regular speed limit signs (albeit misplaced and the wrong color).

In addition there were many miles of highway driving on 80, and 395, all of which went pretty well. I visited three new to me superchargers (Reno, Gardnerville, and Folsom - Palladio).

Also, heading up there on Tuesday, there was an interesting situation using AP on 880 somewhere near Oakland. There was a car disabled/parked half into the #1 lane by the center barrier. There was moderate traffic; we were in the #1 lane; but my wife was driving so I can't give exact details. Apparently the AP reacted to slow us before she did. The situation was disturbingly similar to this Tesla fatality in China where a streetsweeper was hit. It was reassuring that the AP was clearly taking action.

I'm very much looking forward to trying it over 17 to Santa Cruz soon, where it has never been able to go more than a few seconds without scaring me into taking back control. As things stand I think AP is making slow steady progress. It is nowhere near universal autonomy and it's pretty clear it never will be without better sensors. But it's impressive for what it is and I'm quite happy to be experimenting with it.

Anyone else noticing an apparent increase in energy consumption with 8.0?

Yeah, I'm kind of watching that now myself. With my first 90% charge after 8.0 on my 90D, I got about 170 miles. I always get 200+ of the rated 264 with my normal driving around town and freeway. Nothing unusual with my driving habits on this charge, and I am in California so it isn't cold affecting the range. Maybe it's an anomaly - I will keep an eye on it.

I got lost yesterday using Nav. LOL.
Since I was in unfamiliar territory, I gave it a shot and it failed me again. Double tracked it against waze later in the day and it was consistently miles behind my location.......just like old times.

You should probably take the car to service center for inspection. There must be something wrong with the GPS antenna or something. The GPS in Teslas is very accurate and I've never had such issues, it has always shown my location to the inch except when somewhere underground where there's obviously no GPS reception.

Absolutely it can be done but I don't think Tesla prioritizes like we do, otherwise it would be done.
Yes, this. Seems we mostly want bugs fixed and simple features added.

They already sold us a car, and sometimes it seems they need free press coverage more than they need us now...

But if you think you're left out, put yourself in the shoes of us non-USA folks today. We are watching what is now a US-only rollout of a major Operating System release, one that is now into a 2nd point release -- 2.38.19 meaning we now have 3 Tesla 8 releases, all just for the USA... has anyone here received this new one ?

Reactions: msnow and Matias
I wonder why they do initial roll out in the U.S. only. Couple of possible explanations comes to mind;

a) They monitor problems here and Tesla's discussion board and because of this prefer U.S. But this doesn't explain why other english speaking countries are left out.

b) They are more familiar with U.S. roads and because of that prefer to roll out in the U.S. first.

I've only looked at the most recent 4 or 5 pages so please forgive me if I'm repeating a theme. I love my Model S, am a huge fan of the Company and to date have always approved of everything they've done, but I am very disappointed with how easy it is in 8.0 to miss the "hold the wheel" warnings and then be disconnected from Autopilot. Prior versions always cut out the audio when there was a warning and were therefore easy to see. That is no longer the case, at least for me. Now when I'm in Autopilot I find myself frequently looking at the dashboard instead of my driving surroundings and I think that is way more dangerous. Even if I'm keeping my hands on the wheel. I don't mind the disengagement feature, but I think we need much more warning about its impending engagement. I hope that comes in a future update.

I wonder why they do initial roll out in the U.S. only.
I can tell you from my own observations, that once Summon code was activated, Canada and the rest of the world lagged the US releases. I've seen it take around 6 weeks now for them to get around to us. We have a more restrictive Summon along with most of the rest of the world.

When I first received my Model S, there was no Summon and we received the releases at the same time as the US. Yes, there were still differences in the settings eg. DRLs in Canada, but they figured it out... but it seems like they've decided to manage the Summon differences in a more manual manner, sadly.

Yes, this. Seems we mostly want bugs fixed and simple features added.

They already sold us a car, and sometimes it seems they need free press coverage more than they need us now...

But if you think you're left out, put yourself in the shoes of us non-USA folks today. We are watching what is now a US-only rollout of a major Operating System release, one that is now into a 2nd point release -- 2.38.19 meaning we now have 3 Tesla 8 releases, all just for the USA... has anyone here received this new one ?
You're welcome! We are happy to alpha test it for you, so you don't have to live with the pain.

Kind of reminds me of the old

Him: "the food here is terrible!"
Her: "Yes, and such small portions!"

• Funny
Reactions: tmarcc and Lex
I've only looked at the most recent 4 or 5 pages so please forgive me if I'm repeating a theme
The vast majority of club members are reporting that they like the new visual cues much better than the old visual cues, and that they're easy to see even if looking outside, so so far you're in the minority on this one.

But there are reports of the nags being worse, and of them being fewer, so this is less clear. It seems that the nags will be more frequent for most hands-free driving.

Yeah, I'm kind of watching that now myself. With my first 90% charge after 8.0 on my 90D, I got about 170 miles. I always get 200+ of the rated 264 with my normal driving around town and freeway. Nothing unusual with my driving habits on this charge, and I am in California so it isn't cold affecting the range. Maybe it's an anomaly - I will keep an eye on it.

Not sure if it's 8.0 or colder weather, but I've noticed a reduction in range recently. I do about 50/50 around town vs highway and was hoping extra regen would be a benefit. But it appears I now have higher consumption around town than before.

• Informative
Reactions: Wanderer
I wonder why they do initial roll out in the U.S. only. Couple of possible explanations comes to mind;

a) They monitor problems here and Tesla's discussion board and because of this prefer U.S. But this doesn't explain why other english speaking countries are left out.

b) They are more familiar with U.S. roads and because of that prefer to roll out in the U.S. first.

Faster and more sympathetic press coverage.

But if you think you're left out, put yourself in the shoes of us non-USA folks today. We are watching what is now a US-only rollout of a major Operating System release<snip>
Apparently some in Canada are getting it. Below is self-reporting so certainly it is much bigger than these numbers indicate.
uXZTdry.png

You should probably take the car to service center for inspection. There must be something wrong with the GPS antenna or something. The GPS in Teslas is very accurate and I've never had such issues, it has always shown my location to the inch except when somewhere underground where there's obviously no GPS reception.
Then there must be something wrong with my antenna and the thousands of posts from people that claim that Tesla's Navigation system can't be trusted, they must have defective antennas too. I've brought this up to the Service Center on several occasions and they want to blame Navigon/Garmin but as an owner I just want to trust that that I will get to my destination without having to break out my iPhone and open up Apple Maps, Google Maps, or Waze to get me there.

Reactions: NikeWings
Not sure if it's 8.0 or colder weather, but I've noticed a reduction in range recently. I do about 50/50 around town vs highway and was hoping extra regen would be a benefit. But it appears I now have higher consumption around town than before.

I thought that about the extra regen as well. I was probably 70/30 town/highway on this last charge. I may start a separate thread to see if any others are noticing this.

Last edited:
The vast majority of club members are reporting that they like the new visual cues much better than the old visual cues, and that they're easy to see even if looking outside, so so far you're in the minority on this one.

But there are reports of the nags being worse, and of them being fewer, so this is less clear. It seems that the nags will be more frequent for most hands-free driving.
Don't forget usb playback is hosed if you actually want to go find something to play.

Reactions: jgs
Apparently some in Canada are getting it
Ya but only 2 cars in Canada have reported in, and nothing in the last week. They may be US cars that are now in Canada or something, so not statistically material if you ask me.

As for USB being hosed (thanks for that Canadian reference supratachophobia hehe) I think they're telling us something here, if we read between the lines. No searching ability at all (not just in the unified search) AND no A-Z quick index tabbing together are just too suggestive to me that they have imposed (and maybe more to come) really hard limits to USB drives. Fine with me, except now I just wish the USB ports had some scratch-resistant material around the actual ports instead of just the regular softer plastic of the armrest.

And now that I think about it some more (and something else I probably mentioned dozens of pages back) there's speculation that this is secretly NHTSA's doing, thus the focus on USA only right now.

I think you will find that without connectivity to the back end servers, the Google Maps app can't route you from one end of your driveway to the other much less anything fancier.

Not to say Tesla shouldn't do better; they should. But I don't envy them, they're being judged against a competitor with orders of magnitude more resources in every way including compute, AND easier constraints (nobody gets mad at Google when Maps can't route without connectivity).

Tesla doesn't solely rely on Google - owners of the Tech Package also have locally stored Navigon maps. The speedo navigation display is driven by Navigon, not Google, so Tesla already has a wealth of information at its fingertips. What it doesn't have is the will to improve existing navigation functionality.