Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
8.0 Checks out good. Only had to adjust two things, speed alarm over limit and round-trip. Otherwise almost everything still functions. One gripe was the right steering roller no longer controls trip or staus tire pressure. And the temp setting over wrote the energy meter. Other than that it had many improvement, including the improved visuals and map. Music has expanded but is more difficult to navigate and missing from the steering wheel means i have to look down to adjust the music source being heard.

Part III of III

1. Traveling a very straight and monotonous stretch in generally flat desert terrain. No other vehicles around me. MS all of a sudden decided to quickly veer to the right towards I think, a bunch of tall bushes that were sitting all alone on the side of the road.
  2. I had multiple occurrences where I was in the left or center lane, and MS would start to veer right towards a Big Rig in the right lane. This happened both as I approached multiple Big Rigs from the rear, and at least once as I was alongside it. In the latter situation, the Semi was open underneath the trailer. This morning very early, I had the same situation occur with MS wanting to turn right into a very large SUV in my right lane as I was approaching it from the rear. I'm frankly a bit paranoid about this behavior because of the multiple occurrences.
This is what really scares me about 8.0 and why I haven't upgraded yet. I have seen multiple people on this thread mention that AP was suddenly and for no reason veering towards the right towards another car or, more frequently, truck. I do not have this type of problems in 7.1 and this seem extremely dangerous to me. I am glad no accidents have happened yet, and appreciate that if you are fully concentrated you will notice and take over, but there seems to be a high risk that someone will be distracted by something, e.g., figuring out the media player, and slam into another car or truck, the very problem that 8.0 AP was trying to fix.

For everyone's safety, I hope this problem gets found and addressed soon. In the mean time, 8.0 seems too dangerous to me.

I am very disappointed with how easy it is in 8.0 to miss the "hold the wheel" warnings and then be disconnected from Autopilot. Prior versions always cut out the audio when there was a warning and were therefore easy to see. That is no longer the case, at least for me. Now when I'm in Autopilot I find myself frequently looking at the dashboard instead of my driving surroundings and I think that is way more dangerous.

I have been experiencing the same. No audible warning anymore. Sometimes I catch the flashing white out of my peripheral vision, but an audible warning would be much safer and more effective. Do most people still get the audio cut-out and tone warning?

Reactions: Wanderer
I have been experiencing the same. No audible warning anymore. Sometimes I catch the flashing white out of my peripheral vision, but an audible warning would be much safer and more effective. Do most people still get the audio cut-out and tone warning?
I started to think there was no audible warning, but I have now heard it a few times since 8.0. I'm not certain what the criteria are for just flash vs. flash and chime.

You
8.0 Checks out good. Only had to adjust two things, speed alarm over limit and round-trip. Otherwise almost everything still functions. One gripe was the right steering roller no longer controls trip or staus tire pressure. And the temp setting over wrote the energy meter. Other than that it had many improvement, including the improved visuals and map. Music has expanded but is more difficult to navigate and missing from the steering wheel means i have to look down to adjust the music source being heard.
you can still set the right roller to show trips or tire status. What you can't do, as noted, is change the music source which I miss.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: EVie'sDad

I started to think there was no audible warning, but I have now heard it a few times since 8.0. I'm not certain what the criteria are for just flash vs. flash and chime.
IMHO, I consider the "white boarder flash" a new feature of 8.0 Autosteer that is a PRE-NOTICE to the true nag that will happen if no action is taken after the pre-notice is displayed. Only the true nag, which includes the chime, is potentially counted against the "three-strikes in an hour until you have to turn off your MS before Autosteer is re-enabled" warning.

For me, I'd find having a chime on what I call the new additional pre-notice a true annoyance not only for me, but for my passengers having to listen to dings when we're just driving along. There are already enough of those I have to explain with automatic Homelink triggers, BSM, when parking, etc if so enabled. IMHO this Autosteer pre-notice does it's job visually notifying only the driver that the real warning will be coming if you're not paying attention. For my recent road trip, I found it almost like a subtle training aid to become accustomed to what my MS was expecting of me, before my MS took negative action against me. Except for my previous Lexus that had an optional HUD that I loved, since I took Driver's Training many years ago before getting my license, I have always tried to occasionally glance down at my IC as part of my visual scanning process and rear-view mirror check. IDK what to say to drivers saying they don't look at the IC to see the new pre-notice, except that they get to just deal with the final true nags if and when they do occur. We all make our choices in driving style.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Cyclone and msnow
Warnings and such are and issue but I have a greater concern. I updated to 8.0 last Wednesday. This weekend we drove the car to Asheville. We attempted to use the autopilot but it wondered all over the road including diving into the adjacent lane. When switching lane the car would drive off the road and then over correct into the next lane. If a truck was passing on the right the car seemed to veer towards it. Is anyone else seeing these issues. Thanks for your input.

• Informative
8.0 should be named "Bugs"

Bug #1. The bass and mids reset to 0 randomly on the equalizer. I can't figure out when, but they do
Bug #2. Some songs end about 40 seconds too soon
Bug #3. They got rid of the little arrow on the 17" display showing which side of the street the house is on. Some smart*** here may tell me to look at the IC for that info, but the IC is wrong about 50% of the time, so I'd like to have it back on the 17" display.
Bug#4. This was around in the 7.1 days, or so I've read here. I was standing at a red light with AP engaged. The car in front of me decided to change lanes to the right (less of a line), my car started to follow him slightly (obviously) and then realized it's a different lane and then decided to ACCELERATE into the standing car in front of me. I slammed the brakes. Hard. I'm 99.9% sure the car wouldn't have time to react unless it activated AEB. So there's that...

Last edited:
Reactions: JenniferQ
- Autosteer does not seem to search and act like a drunk as much as with 7.1. Great improvement.
...​
  1. Traveling a very straight and monotonous stretch in generally flat desert terrain. No other vehicles around me. MS all of a sudden decided to quickly veer to the right towards I think, a bunch of tall bushes that were sitting all alone on the side of the road.
  2. I had multiple occurrences where I was in the left or center lane, and MS would start to veer right towards a Big Rig in the right lane. This happened both as I approached multiple Big Rigs from the rear, and at least once as I was alongside it. In the latter situation, the Semi was open underneath the trailer. This morning very early, I had the same situation occur with MS wanting to turn right into a very large SUV in my right lane as I was approaching it from the rear. I'm frankly a bit paranoid about this behavior because of the multiple occurrences.
@BertL, that was a great writeup above! My question is what is your net assessment of the safety of autosteer in 8.0 vs. 7.1 (I accept that braking for obstacles is likely better in 8.0)? Your first comment above makes it seem like it behaves better, but your points copied below sound scary, to say the least. Is autosteer (as opposed to TACC) worse or less safe in 8.0 than 7.1?

Thanks!

8.0 should be named "Bugs"

Bug #1. The bass and mids reset to 0 randomly on the equalizer. I can't figure out when, but they do
Bug #2. Some songs end about 40 seconds too soon
Bug #3. They got rid of the little arrow on the 17" display showing which side of the street the house is on. Some smart*** here may tell me to look at the IC for that info, but the IC is wrong about 50% of the time, so I'd like to have it back on the 17" display.
I dont have bugs 1 or 2 and I've been looking for it so it's not universal. Re #3, I also miss the arrow because it was very clear but the new teardrop marker on the 17" is very precise and since it zooms in you can see which side of the street your destination is on. I prefer the arrow but so far this works for me.

Reactions: JenniferQ
Warnings and such are and issue but I have a greater concern. I updated to 8.0 last Wednesday. This weekend we drove the car to Asheville. We attempted to use the autopilot but it wondered all over the road including diving into the adjacent lane. When switching lane the car would drive off the road and then over correct into the next lane. If a truck was passing on the right the car seemed to veer towards it. Is anyone else seeing these issues. Thanks for your input.
Check out a few posts upstream, including mine on the previous page for similar observations about veering into an adjoining lane.

• Informative
Reactions: msnow
Part III of III

FWIW, I'm just back from a 5-day trip, about 650 miles, perhaps 95%+ Freeway driving (AP's sweet spot today?), and 14 hours behind the wheel with 8.0. For those that are interested, I'm concluding my Initial Observations started in this thread here: Part I: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/1750998/ and Part II: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/1751370/

AP
- I know it's subjective, but:
- Autosteer/TACC seems much more human-like slowing for a vehicle ahead. Great improvement.
- Autosteer does not seem to search and act like a drunk as much as with 7.1. Great improvement.
- Nags. I had far less than I've ever had before -- primarily IMHO because I chose to purposely drive the entire trip with my right hand a little more firmly exerting light pressure down at the 3-o'clock position with elbow on the armrest vs my hand at the 5-o'clock position and arm resting on my right leg as I have almost always done on open stretches until now. I purposely made this change based on some TMC discussion (TU @Ingineer and others) about more torque being needed for MS to sense you are "touching" your wheel. I decided to adapt to what Tesla seems to have designed vs complain, and it paid dividends for me -- only 2 true nags in perhaps 500 miles of Autosteer (perhaps those were valid, IDK ;)), and a small handful of the new "white flashing boarder" pre-alert (which is another "Well done, Tesla")
- I can't remember many situations where I encountered the "2 cars ahead" situation on the IC -- perhaps because both were traveling at the same speed...
- I still turned Autosteer off through most construction zones of any substance. AP just can't confidently handle a combination of multiple uneven surfaces and sometimes not-the-best lane markings as of yet, especially at higher speeds.​
- BUG REPORT: I encountered some Unusual Autosteer Situations at night, at freeway speed, on good roads with clearly marked lanes. I took control of the wheel to bring MS back into the lane which triggered Autosteer OFF, so hopefully the exceptional situations were captured by Tesla for their analysis.
  1. I'm in right lane with primary road turning to the left. Offramp to another freeway to the right along that curve. AP was clearly lost as the road from it's POV began to widen, then it chose to take the offramp before I took control. Autosteer appears to bias towards the right in situation like this, when bias to the left when there is a clear lane marking but the distance to the right is expanding.
  2. Traveling a very straight and monotonous stretch in generally flat desert terrain. No other vehicles around me. MS all of a sudden decided to quickly veer to the right towards I think, a bunch of tall bushes that were sitting all alone on the side of the road.
  3. I had multiple occurrences where I was in the left or center lane, and MS would start to veer right towards a Big Rig in the right lane. This happened both as I approached multiple Big Rigs from the rear, and at least once as I was alongside it. In the latter situation, the Semi was open underneath the trailer. This morning very early, I had the same situation occur with MS wanting to turn right into a very large SUV in my right lane as I was approaching it from the rear. I'm frankly a bit paranoid about this behavior because of the multiple occurrences.
  4. Autosteer did not correctly recognize the position of a Semi with a low empty trailer designed for hauling heavy equipment and goods (like rolls of steel). While the Rig was clearly ahead within its lane to my right, the IC showed the Rig crossing my right line AND as I kept driving forward at full speed, MS steered more closely to my left lane line -- apparently because (radar) falsely sensed the semi being in my lane when it wasn't. (It was a good thing it steered to the left -- well done, but just the same, it is an odd thing!)

Nav
- REQUIREMENT: I really wish Tesla would add the Supercharger Lightning Bolt to the bottom of the "Navigate Favorite/Recent Places" Pop-up. Now that most everything disappears from Nav during normal operation, at least once I wanted to override my Nav Route and go to a specific Supercharger along the route. While trying to keep my eyes on the road, and in a Senior Moment perhaps, I forgot I needed to touch the Nav screen for the SpC icon to appear. Rather than playing with Voice Activation trying to understand me (it finally did), I would have found what I was after a whole lot faster if the icon were located as I suggest or even in both places.
- I really like the new Auto Zoom/UnZoom function after living with it through all sort of situations and many miles of use. IMHO, it's well done.

Media Player
- Subjectively, I suppose I can learn to live with the new streaming-biased UI. It is what it is. The real problem is I'm not sure some of the design considers AM/FM/SiriusXM/Phone (aka "Bluetooth")/USB as much as it should for usability by owners that prefer listening to those sources. For the non-streaming sources, the large icons and how those either become confusing with Album Art that may be displayed or how the icons take away from the text-only information, figuring out what to press to access what, etc are not as intuitive as they really could and should be.
- I know I just spend too much time looking at this interface to accomplish whatever I want to do compared to the old one, and if I were to guess, a larger percentage of the Autosteer nags and pre-alerts happened when I was focused on "how do I do that" when i shouldn't have been. I could be the exception, but I suggest probably not for users of non streaming sources.​
- BUG REPORT: Switching between a USB playing song with Album Art to Slacker OR reverse will at times cause the Album Art of the former source to remain once the new media source is playing. Clearly a bug.
- Equalizer settings have been pervasive for me. (I have UHFS if that makes any difference.) I've not had any issue with them changing as some others have reported since I've been away.
- USB
- BUG REPORT or NEED FOR DOCUMENTED SPECIFICATION: New Album Art display is problematic. I have 100% of my tracks with art that displays in iTunes, iOS devices and macOS Finder correctly. What I found though is that not all albums will display the art in the 8.0 interface, as if nothing were imbedded. I'm suspecting there is some problem or restriction related to the size of the art -- too big, and Media Player 8.0 simply ignores it -- VS the more user-friendly thing would be to scale it down to what Media Player wants to use.
- While not USB-specific, on a related note is even Bluetooth playback of podcasts via my iPhone have Album Art problems with 8.0. Some display the podcast art in Media Player 8.0, while others display the default grey music note symbol -- even though album art all show up natively on the iPhone.​
- Shuffle On/Off and Repeat are not 100% pervasive. I've not figured out the exact scenarios that cause them to be forgotten.
- Again, as others have have reported, there remain issues with Media Player not always remembering the location within a track when it comes time to start playing again. It does sometimes, while not at others. The exact pattern elludes me.​
As I have said before, I still believe 8.0 is an overall advancement forward, but Media Player, specifically USB is an unfortunate step back for those of us that care about Infotainment and USB being a necessary feature we use all the time in our luxury vehicles. Media Player was clearly either not QA'd sufficiently, or had a design focused on only more casual users and did not consider broad-enough real owner use cases as it should. THAT for me (and others) remains unacceptable. Tesla, if you're reading this, please help sooner than later -- and not make us wait for 8.1 AP improvements! TU!
Based on this and my own experience I don't see 8.0 AP as an improvement except for the added nags which are good for safety. My experience with centering is that AP weaves and veers like a drunk about 25% more than 7.1. Great review Bert!

• Helpful
I drove on the 405 S late last night, going about 75 in the carpool lane. Unless there was a car in front of me, AP would not engage most of the time. Autosteer was unavailable. When it did, I frequently had to take over/disengage for getting too close to the wall on curves.

Is it possible that the double yellow line on the right was messing it up?

I just picked up my Tesla last week, so I only have experience with the current 8.0 system. I have not yet had a chance to use the AP feature, due to the roads I've been on.

The thing I do notice is the media player. Like others have said, traversing a library is painful. If something isn't saved as a favorite, it is dangerous to change while driving. I have most of my audio library on a USB stick, and while I can find everything, the lack of being able to jump quickly to a specific artist / song / folder / album on my library is a feature that has been easy in all of my previous cars. Here, I have to scroll and scroll and scroll, which almost always involves clicking on something by mistake, then having to start again at the beginning. A few little improvements would make the whole thing much better. Or being able to restrict search to my USB or Phone. Things like being able to jump to a letter, or increased scroll speed even.. it is just too slow and clunky. It's no different when using something like Tune-In either... have to scroll to the bottom for categories, and do it several times for sub categories.

Really, should be controllable from the wheel. Otherwise a driver is forced to be looking and putting their body towards the touch-screen. It is more "distracted driving" than texting is.

Wasn't able to "tune" to a radio station using the steering wheel either. This is something that I think used to be in 7.1, because my delivery agent didn't understand why she couldn't do it, and swore she used to be able to. I have to use the seek buttons on the touch screen (Which use the exact same icons as the ones on the wheel, but the wheel only goes to/from favorites)

Maybe it is just me, but the media portion needs some real improvements, especially with the power and features of the computer in this vehicle.

I'll have to try out AP sometime soon.

Last edited:
I drove on the 405 S late last night, going about 75 in the carpool lane. Unless there was a car in front of me, AP would not engage most of the time. Autosteer was unavailable. When it did, I frequently had to take over/disengage for getting too close to the wall on curves.

Is it possible that the double yellow line on the right was messing it up?
Did 7.1 work on this stretch in the past? Thanks.

@BertL, that was a great writeup above! My question is what is your net assessment of the safety of autosteer in 8.0 vs. 7.1 (I accept that braking for obstacles is likely better in 8.0)? Your first comment above makes it seem like it behaves better, but your points copied below sound scary, to say the least. Is autosteer (as opposed to TACC) worse or less safe in 8.0 than 7.1?

Thanks!
No, TU. Glad it was helpful.

I try to avoid generalizations most of the time, as there are many here who love to jump in with qualifications, what-if's, objections and exceptions -- so I tend to go long with most posts, trying to provide caveats where I can. :) As such...

The best part with Autosteer 8.0 for me is it just seems more natural in general driving -- not weaving or searching within a lane as much (it still does at times, but I've not figured out the circumstances), being smarter about not staying in the exact center of the lane if someone to your left or right is riding your line, etc. TACC and Autosteer also feels much more natural slowing and speeding-up for slower cars in front, be that at highway speeds AND in stop-and-go traffic. I really like how less abrupt the experience is and how Tesla is refining such things.

That being said, the (new) sharp and unexpected veering towards an adjacent lane (see my original post for specific examples) is worrisome with 8.0 especially when traveling at 70-75 with other vehicles near. If I hadn't take over control each time, something bad would have happened in perhaps just 3-5 seconds. I didn't want to test if AEB would have taken over -- I think not because of how quickly and abrupt Autosteer made the change in direction, and none of us here know for a fact what overrides what in Tesla's design and programming logic in each and every firmware release. While others may have reported other examples with 7.1, I only remember having my MS steer way too close to adjoining big rigs on my right before I took over, and that only happened when the rig had a large open area under the trailer between the wheels. Regardless, the anomalies I encountered would not have occurred with TACC alone. To now average out to more than one major failure per hundred miles across 3 days of actual drive time concerns me.

Call me a whimp or less risk tolerant than others, but I frankly found myself in the latter part of the trip becoming more anxious and placing both hands on the wheel as I approached other vehicles with Autosteer ON, especially if a big rig or larger vehicle was near, or the freeway was making a turn. (Autosteer 8.0 as we know does not always track well, especially if there is a hill involved with a curved road.) After the first month with Autosteer 7, I have always proactively turned it OFF when there is any sort of construction ahead for the same reason. I want to trust technology, but recognize Autosteer is new BETA tech. I try to always stay very alert when AP is ON, with at least one hand always on the wheel. It's not enjoyable, restful, or even thrilling in a good way for me to feel like my car may occasionally have an unexpected mind of it's own. I'd probably feel differently if I were being paid to be a real test driver, which I'm not. ;)

So, in a more net way, where am I with use of Autosteer 8.0 today? I had not really thought about it until your post, but I'd summarize like this:
  • Around town on the 45-55 MPH long stretches between lights around me, I may or may not use Autosteer completely dependent upon my mood -- nothing more specific than that
  • Stop-and-go freeway traffic is great -- there is always plenty of reaction time should some anomaly occur
  • Freeway speeds, I'm now a lot more wary with 8.0 than I was with 7.1:
    • not so much in wide open spaces with few other vehicles around (but having MS veer right at night in the middle of the desert going 75 MPH, on a very long and straight road with nothing around, IS startling to say the least)
    • in heavier traffic with many other vehicles -- especially big rigs -- if I want some sort of driver assistance, I almost always now drop back to TACC, trusting steering to only myself. The exception being if I put both hands on the wheel, Autosteer can be ON some times, but honestly, doing that takes more effort and stresses me out more than just driving myself because I'm even more alert to possible anomalies Autosteer may impose upon me at any time. Why would I do that? It's probably the x-geek part of me coming out and taking over, wanting this new tech to work. ;)
Hope that helps.

I've seen the advice to reboot the CID after an update, and I routinely do that now.

But I don't understand... How could a large update like 8.0 not reboot everything as part of the process?

It does reboot. But the combination of weird bugs and seemingly random behaviors from various subsystems combined with really a total lack of knowledge from the user lead the superstitious behaviors. In other words, it's driving Tesla owners literally crazy.