Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
An observation yesterday: AP worked fine on divided highways to Buffalo but driving north on NY77 to Persons Corners, AP was hunting back and forth like a drunken sailor. This part of the road is well marked with fresh lane paint and straight as an arrow. Maybe I was the first Tesla ever on that road and it had no previous data?

I saw where a couple of people have mentioned 2.42.40, but haven't seen anyone post release notes yet. I just got it over WiFi this afternoon (tracker updated)...the release notes look similar or the same as with 2.36.108 with the exception of a new "New 8.0 Enhancements" section at the top of the document. See attached screenshot.

Bruce.

EDIT: Now with the file actually attached.

Attachments

• IMG_9383.jpg
    IMG_9383.jpg
    426.6 KB · Views: 88
  • Helpful
Reactions: msnow and Cyclone
I got to spend a couple hours driving a newer, rear cup holder era, MS75 with version 8, today. Everything seemed to be working pretty well. Touch screen wasn't laggy, browser worked well enough, AP operated as expected. I don't really get why the big navigation screen is even needed most of the time. The navigation is all done on the dash screen at the far left. What's the point of having the big map up on the touchscreen while you're driving? I would think you would have the rear view camera and maybe the radio when driving. I'm sure I'm missing something. The blinker indicators are in kind of a weird spot and I kept leaving them on. The voice controls worked great. Much better than SIRI. It's an amazing car. I couldn't imagine needing anything faster, but I'm just an old man that drives around with his blinker on. This car is crazy fast. Not out of the hole ludicrous fast, but I think it would fulfill most people's need for speed.

Last edited:
I got to spend a couple hours driving a newer, rear cup holder era, MS75 with version 8, today. Everything seemed to be working pretty well. Touch screen wasn't laggy, browser worked well enough, AP operated as expected. I don't really get why the big navigation screen is even needed most of the time. The navigation is all done on the dash screen at the far left. What's the point of having the big map up on the touchscreen while you're driving? I would think you would have the rear view camera and maybe the radio when driving. I'm sure I'm missing something.......

You must realize that your preferences are just that, yours. The big map works well for some people (me included). I don't always follow the exact GPS coordinates, Tesla GPS still seems to take me on main streets the majority of the time. Using the map I can find ways around traffic spots GPS didn't. You also get street names, and some people like it. I also only like the rear view camera for reverse. Like the rear view mirrors for driving...but hey, that's my preference.

Reactions: jgs
My understanding is that Tesla has tied geofenced updates to cars that have service tickets now so i am very interested to hear how it works out for you.

Finally got to the sales/service center yesterday. As of now, no new updates. So definitely no longer any random geofenced updates. As you all said...

But my son did get some cool activity and coloring pages as well as a really futuristic crayon set! And he got to go through the various color combinations that he would want for HIS future Tesla. Sales staff super friendly, helpful and not pushy at the least. Even suggesting the coloring set without me asking!

Just did a line by line comparison of the release notes from the version I had before the update, 2.36.108 and those for the new update, 2.42.40. Here's what I found:

1) As mentioned a few posts up a paragraph at the beginning has been added about "...multiple improvements to the USB listening experience...:

2) Sentence in the Modern Media Player section has been changed from “…bring popular content and your favorite stations front and center” to …bring popular content and your favorite music front and center”.

3) Section on Traffic-Based Routing Enhancement has been removed.

4) Section on Voice Command Improvements has a new sentence reading "Specify a number to call: You can now use voice commands to dial a specific phone number."

5) There were a few other places where some of the formatting and spacing changed but not the information.

It's likely that these UI problems that bug (pardon the pun) those of us with older eyes werent noticed by the beta testers because few if any of Tesla's beta testers are age 60+.

Indeed, I've got old eyes too. Tesla should be employing a usability expert, not assuming that any Apple-fan developer know what makes a good user interface.

But if the night time view bothers you, and it certainly bothered me to the point that I disabled the auto-switch, note that you can up the brightness and it looks *much* better to my eyes.

I saw a video of Bjorn's where he used day-mode, turned down a fair bit, at night, your post has prompted me to try that. How daft that that is even a necessary workaround ...

You must realize that your preferences are just that, yours.

My preference is how the map / menu-buttons where before; that's how it was in the car I test drove and bought. Now that has been changed to a styling not of my liking, at all, and without any by-your-leave from me. Given how subjective styling is I'm amazed Tesla didn't make this change with some sort of pallet of variations that can be selected and then stored in a Driver profile

After the update to 2.42.40, a muted AM radio no longer unmutes for a fraction of a second when I open the driver's door. (Well for n=2 anyway, wasn't going to sit in the parking lot at $WORK opening and closing the door trying to do a statistically significant experiment.) A small bug fix, but one I appreciate.

As an aside the new alphabetical scrolling index for USB seems a lot more responsive than I expected. I am not sure if this means a good implementation or low expectations. :)

Bruce.

[QUOTE="bmah, post: 1809068, member: 33654"
As an aside the new alphabetical scrolling index for USB seems a lot more responsive than I expected. I am not sure if this means a good implementation or low expectations. :) Bruce.[/QUOTE]

I thought the same this morning but i had reverted to a smaller sample USB previously so I could manage access easier. Now I'm excited to try a much larger selection later today. I hope you are right Bruce!

Got 8.0 2.42.40 last night and shuffled off to Buffalo this morning and gave it a good test.
1. Every screen is now a washed out grey with no real contrast.

This washed out grey "modern" interface might be alright for a tablet while sitting in an easy chair at the fireplace but in an automotive application we need high contrast because while driving we use quick glances away from the road to get information from the screen.
When you have to put on your reading glasses and lean forward to gawk at the tiny print on the screen that is an accident waiting to happen.

"Make everything flat" disease that has afflicted all modern UI designers. I understand getting away from skeumorphic concepts, but humans still need to be able to interact with things as objects, especially when the primary function in a car is to let the driver change settings. They shouldn't be bothering to change the look of the UI when there are still many usability problems.

I got a software update notice this morning (and I started install once I parked at work). But on the way to work, the AP felt like it had regressed (serpentine, lane jumping). It's like it had to flush out the fleet-learning data to make room for the software update. Hmm.