Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is not meant as a Cross-Post, or attempt at self promotion. I am posting this here, as many don't go to the Media Videos section of the site, and I believe it has some weight with these patches.

I was pushed the 2.40.21 patch a few days before heading to China, So I did not get a chance to do a longer test on the Freeway. The patch push from Service and Engineering was in attempt to fix a Issue I had, where walk away door locks would not function, and the car would stay fully powered up after exiting the vehicle (Vacant of all persons) and closing the door, unless I manually pushed the lock button (Was not happy to return to my car to find someone standing next to a open door, he claimed he touched the cool looking door handle and it popped out, and he was waiting for the owner to make sure no one tried to steel the car).

Anyways, my first long distance drive Friday, a route that I've traveled under autopilot EXCESSIVE number of times, and had PERFORMED MOSTLY FLAWLESS on 7.xx firmwares, has become MADDENING on 8.xx version 2.40.21 In 7.x, I would get prompted 1-4ish times in this particular 74ish mile stretch to hold wheel (I do hold wheel, usually left hand at 7:00 position, just very lightly).
Now, with this 8.xx version with the patch, I've gotten more then 50 Hold Wheel notifications in 20-25ish minute span. Reboots, and Parking did not seem to make a difference. However, it lessened slightly after supercharging, but still, has become MADDENING to the point where, well, their is no point to use it. Also sometimes goes (still) straight to Autopilot Disabled for remainder of the drive, from no notification at all. No visual, no audio, just straight to it. I had attempted to catch it on my action cam (seldom use it, not the highest quality camera) and thought I had only to find a failed MicroSDXC card in it all corrupted.

Reactions: vdiv
I actually had the same feeling today. I do 100-300 miles of AP a day, so I cross the same areas frequently. The car clearly behaved differently today than it did 24 hours before. It was actually quite unsettling. I'm a huge Tesla apologist but I'll be honest, I was really disappointed today.
OK, me too. I thought I was just being paranoid (like the "less regen" threads that I've seen). But I did my normal commute yesterday and day and the AP was ping-ponging much more than before the update. I thought maybe it was the lower sun maybe impacting the camera (even though I'm driving north on my way to work).

I got a software update notice this morning (and I started install once I parked at work). But on the way to work, the AP felt like it had regressed (serpentine, lane jumping). It's like it had to flush out the fleet-learning data to make room for the software update. Hmm.
Reboot both systems, I had to do it the other day as well. I was getting the truck hugging effect

OK, so a little more input about AP in 2.42.40.

I'm not sure that nagging has increased across the board. What definitely seems new is that if you are applying accelerator input to go a little faster than what TACC is set to, you get nagged early and often. I don't remember that being so prominent in earlier versions.

Have 2.42.40 too and yes, confirm this. Give the accelerator a prod whilst on AP and within a few seconds you get a nag.
The nags to me seem to be more closely related to AP "confidence" than before, if it is happy and the lanes are clearly marked nags are fairly few, poor markings or busier traffic and the nag frequency is higher - as can be expected really.
I still dont find it a nuisance though, and actually think Tesla have the balance set quite reasonably.

On the down side, I find it worse at picking up the adjacent lane boundary than earlier builds of v7, so mostly cannot use indicator lane change these days which obviously is disapointing. Hopefully tesla can improve this again.

Had a stunning experience with AP today driving at about 50mph, hand lightly on wheel so no nags
Driving in a well marked lane - AP fine
lost the inside lane marking - AP continued just showing the rightr blue line on the IC
temporarily lost both lane markings - AP latched onto the car in front (went blue on the IC)
Car in front drifted out of lane to pick up mext lane to the left - IC showed no lane markings visible, just the pale grey lane showing, AP let go of the car in front as it moved to the side and grabbed the car in front of that and held true to lane
Lane markings came back in an AP picked them up and continued.

I was completely amazed, a brilliant piece of execution by AP.
And although it is a busy interchange, it is still new and being worked on, hence the intermittent lines so is likely not thoroughly mapped by Tesla yet. (wish I could have videoed it for you guys to see).

Instances like this just remind you how special this car can be, and how far behind the competition mostly are.
Roll on 8.1 for even more specialness.

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark
I got a software update notice this morning (and I started install once I parked at work). But on the way to work, the AP felt like it had regressed (serpentine, lane jumping). It's like it had to flush out the fleet-learning data to make room for the software update. Hmm.

Reboot both systems, I had to do it the other day as well. I was getting the truck hugging effect

I too have seen AP behave a little clunkily after an update for a day or so.

I speculate that there are calibration coefficients specific to each car (perhaps down to individual radar/camera alignment) that are tuned in over the first few xx miles, but these are reset sometimes on software update, hence a short period of re-adaption.
WK057 or Ingineer are probably best placed to comment

Have 2.42.40 too and yes, confirm this. Give the accelerator a prod whilst on AP and within a few seconds you get a nag.
The nags to me seem to be more closely related to AP "confidence" than before, if it is happy and the lanes are clearly marked nags are fairly few, poor markings or busier traffic and the nag frequency is higher - as can be expected really.
I still dont find it a nuisance though, and actually think Tesla have the balance set quite reasonably.

On the down side, I find it worse at picking up the adjacent lane boundary than earlier builds of v7, so mostly cannot use indicator lane change these days which obviously is disapointing. Hopefully tesla can improve this again.

Had a stunning experience with AP today driving at about 50mph, hand lightly on wheel so no nags
lost the inside lane marking - AP continued just showing the rightr blue line on the IC
temporarily lost both lane markings - AP latched onto the car in front (went blue on the IC)
Car in front drifted out of lane to pick up mext lane to the left - IC showed no lane markings visible, just the pale grey lane showing, AP let go of the car in front as it moved to the side and grabbed the car in front of that and held true to lane

I was completely amazed, a brilliant piece of execution by AP.
And although it is a busy interchange, it is still new and being worked on, hence the intermittent lines so is likely not thoroughly mapped by Tesla yet. (wish I could have videoed it for you guys to see).

Instances like this just remind you how special this car can be, and how far behind the competition mostly are.
Roll on 8.1 for even more specialness.
That is awesome! It would be great if you can setup a similar experience on the same route to verify its not an anomaly. What I think you are saying is that AP is now using multiple sources to maintain lane keeping.

This is not meant as a Cross-Post, or attempt at self promotion. I am posting this here, as many don't go to the Media Videos section of the site, and I believe it has some weight with these patches.

I was pushed the 2.40.21 patch a few days before heading to China, So I did not get a chance to do a longer test on the Freeway. The patch push from Service and Engineering was in attempt to fix a Issue I had, where walk away door locks would not function, and the car would stay fully powered up after exiting the vehicle (Vacant of all persons) and closing the door, unless I manually pushed the lock button (Was not happy to return to my car to find someone standing next to a open door, he claimed he touched the cool looking door handle and it popped out, and he was waiting for the owner to make sure no one tried to steel the car).

Anyways, my first long distance drive Friday, a route that I've traveled under autopilot EXCESSIVE number of times, and had PERFORMED MOSTLY FLAWLESS on 7.xx firmwares, has become MADDENING on 8.xx version 2.40.21 In 7.x, I would get prompted 1-4ish times in this particular 74ish mile stretch to hold wheel (I do hold wheel, usually left hand at 7:00 position, just very lightly).
Now, with this 8.xx version with the patch, I've gotten more then 50 Hold Wheel notifications in 20-25ish minute span. Reboots, and Parking did not seem to make a difference. However, it lessened slightly after supercharging, but still, has become MADDENING to the point where, well, their is no point to use it. Also sometimes goes (still) straight to Autopilot Disabled for remainder of the drive, from no notification at all. No visual, no audio, just straight to it. I had attempted to catch it on my action cam (seldom use it, not the highest quality camera) and thought I had only to find a failed MicroSDXC card in it all corrupted.

While this must be very frustrating, it's not broken this way for the majority. I would say you have an extreme case, for sure. I saw AP get slightly more squirrelly, but I didn't get anywhere near as many nags as your video shows. I'm assuming you checked for obstructed camera/sensors? Also, why would it get better after supercharging?

Also, it looks like 2.42.40 is rolling out pretty fast. I haven't had much time on 2.42.40, but my initial assessment is that AP is behaving a little more like 7.1, aside from the 8.0 standard nags. Hope you get the update soon and it helps your issue.

^^ I have noticed vast AP improvement when lane markings disappear & direct sun interferes, which is frequent on my commute. I keep waiting for AP to hand it back to me but its not. One marker or both markers and direct sun.....and its still locked forward. But in honesty, I was noting this previously and chalked it up to 8.0. Will be on watch for the lane changers but have had so little drifting of late that I suspect its indeed true and ive already adapted subconsciously to improved AP and no longer noting such changes. I'm still waiting for off ramping, and ramp merging remains fickle. Sometimes its picked up but always very sensitized to the exact angle of the merging car. Its like a game of teenage chicken.....and its not me with the guts this time. I find my self mouthing 'sorry' when its not letting anyone in on slow merges.....like what must they be thinking. Sorry? well then let me in damn it. lol

Reactions: msnow
If you have been missing the updated 8.0 owner's manual in your MyTesla documents, look again after you get 4.42.40. I originally received 2.36.108 about a month ago, but no manual once it was released a couple of weeks ago. Got 4.42.40 yesterday and today I noticed that MyTesla now has a link to the manual.

Coincidence? I don't think so. The manual specifies that USB is included in the search functions, which didn't appear until 4.42.40. Sure seems like 8.0 was released to meet a date before all the function in the media player was tested and done.
I am still on 7.1 and MyTesla shows the 8.0 manual, so it's not linked to the version you have on your car. I suspect they just finished the 8.0 manual update and decided to catch up to the latest sub-version.

Weird, logging into My Tesla shows my car in the background but everything is greyed out and cursor just spins and spins.. anyone else?

Screen Shot 2016-11-01 at 3.34.57 PM.png

After another day of driving on 2.42.40:

For the first time since v6 (or was it somewhere in v5?), the media player now remembers which song I was listening to on USB and continues it when I return to the car. Wow, that bug fix has been a long time coming, but it sure is welcome!

And after another day of autopilot driving, I perceive no additional nag frequency on normal autopilot, *but* I confirmed over and over again that if you apply some accelerator pressure to exceed the TACC set speed, you'll get frequent nags almost instantly.

I still think Tesla's nagging way more than necessary, but it's not as bad as I first thought.

• Informative
Reactions: Bilen