Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.1 - Autopilot HW1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i really want to see some dash cam footage from the cars saying AP has gotten worse. mine has actually gotten better with the newest software.

I have a dash cam but I haven't noticed much if any difference in how my car drives on 8.1, just the IC seems to indicate worse conditions than what I'm used to seeing. Also I haven't driven very much since taking the upgrade...AP has been mostly on short freeway stretches (just a few miles). I might try some slightly longer test drives this weekend if I can get the time.

Bruce.

I'm VERY grateful to find and review this thread. Since upgrade to 17.11.10 (AP1) I thought I was going crazy with the car's AP behavior. It runs off the road onto the right shoulder routinely. Even worse, yesterday it meandered across the LEFT line into oncoming traffic. If I hadn't aggressively taken over and pulled back into my lane, I would have collided with an oncoming BMW. Additionally, the car occasionally fails to brake for cars ahead stopped at a light, causing me to power-stomp on the brakes to stop in time (set to 3-car distance). After a full year of pleasant AP experience, the car is now not only unruly, but downright unsafe. No more AP for me until a new upgrade.

• Informative
Reactions: Wanderer
I'm VERY grateful to find and review this thread. Since upgrade to 17.11.10 (AP1) I thought I was going crazy with the car's AP behavior. It runs off the road onto the right shoulder routinely. Even worse, yesterday it meandered across the LEFT line into oncoming traffic. If I hadn't aggressively taken over and pulled back into my lane, I would have collided with an oncoming BMW. Additionally, the car occasionally fails to brake for cars ahead stopped at a light, causing me to power-stomp on the brakes to stop in time (set to 3-car distance). After a full year of pleasant AP experience, the car is now not only unruly, but downright unsafe. No more AP for me until a new upgrade.
I've only been on 8.1 for a few days and have not had a chance to use AP. Not everyone hast had your experience (good for them), but yours is frightening and I hope you report it to Tesla.

Better get your car to service. I have 17.11.10 and no issues here.

• Informative
I don't know but maybe something else is wrong with your car somehow? I've been driving about 400 miles on the new 8.1 AP1 and it worked as good as usual. Yeah it didn't work 100% perfectly, but as just as good as before in my case. Both on the highway and on local roads.

My request to Tesla is to give us the ability to at least go 5 mph over on the AP on surface roads, because nobody drives at the speed limit. Where I live, I will get honked at if I go 35 in a 35.

Reactions: Wanderer and Richg
My request to Tesla is to give us the ability to at least go 5 mph over on the AP on surface roads, because nobody drives at the speed limit. Where I live, I will get honked at if I go 35 in a 35.

This was fixed a couple revisions ago, so are you saying that your car on 8.1 is limited to the speed limit on non-divided highways again? Are you sure your speed offset isn't set to "0"?

I don't know but maybe something else is wrong with your car somehow? I've been driving about 400 miles on the new 8.1 AP1 and it worked as good as usual. Yeah it didn't work 100% perfectly, but as just as good as before in my case. Both on the highway and on local roads.

That is the current capability...I use it all the time around town in Naples....

This was fixed a couple revisions ago, so are you saying that your car on 8.1 is limited to the speed limit on non-divided highways again? Are you sure your speed offset isn't set to "0"?

Are you serious? They changed that back in 8.1 to how it used to be? My offset is set to 10 mph actually. Let me double check today on the surface streets. Thanks.

That doesn't match my experience with 17.11.10, which I've taken I a couple of three hundred mile round trips. In my experience, AP is very much the same as it was under 2.52.22.

Reactions: Richg and Aieukl378

That doesn't match my experience with 17.11.10, which I've taken I a couple of three hundred mile round trips. In my experience, AP is very much the same as it was under 2.52.22.

That also doesn't match my experience with 17.11.10 which I just took a 340ish mile trip a couple days ago. It was as solid as before. I do occasionally have problems at stoplights if there is a curve approaching it or no other cars around except for a stopped one that is already stopped at the stoplight.

You guys are completely right. 5 over is possible on streets without center divider. However, this was not possible prior to 8.1 for me. At least I am 80% sure that it wasn't possible before.

Thanks again for the info!

Attachments

• IMG_3278.JPG
    IMG_3278.JPG
    200.5 KB · Views: 39
  • Informative
Our recent 700-mile trip between San Francisco and Santa Barbara around highway 101 has found 8.1.17.11.10 of AP1 no worse than 8.0.17.8.16 and still more than useful in my applications... it makes straight route drowsily boring if I was acting like an overly responsible pilot monitoring all the mirrors and the displays.

For most of our highway travel being in the day time and mostly sunny, I set the AP to 80mph in 65 zone and 90mph in 70 zone (Waze in the console!). There were only a handful of cases where I had to override to cope with the merging or crossing traffic from the left (the J. Brown scenario). Cresting hills was no problem. Lane changing was a breeze. Traversing through construction zones with cones on one side is no different. It never misread those 55 speed limit signs in any of the construction zones or slowed down. AP1 did corner very well even in the winding sections descending to the Pacific Ocean. There were a couple screams from my wife but I or our kids weren't aware of anything special, so I asked my wife to lower her sixth sense or not to be deceived by those painted lane markings :)

On some undivided roads to remote parks, AP1 worked well too and proceeded confidently between the grass at 35~40mph which surprised me as it shouldn't allow AP to be engaged but the GPS seems to incorrectly consider the rural routes a part of the highway due to no cellular coverage. It looks like the Mobileye+Tesla system can be more capable.

On busy city streets with central divide and parked cars on the right (one lane on each direction), I've noticed the system was able to identify the virtual boundary as seen in the dashboard, follow traffic, and squeeze through without any problem.

The biggest gripe that I keep always thinking is that the AP1 system is unable to handle stop signs (since it can read all the erected speed signs correctly) and the STOP mark/line on pavement, and my proposed behavior for it could be to stop automatically at the line then let human accelerate by pedal without disengaging itself except making turns.

Hopefully AP2 only changes the sensing part and everything else more or less stays on course.

Last edited:
Ok, I'm sure this was covered in previous threads, but I'm a noob with HW1.

I can't believe that I get my hand slapped when using AP1 and going to pass someone and pop over 90mph for a few seconds (92mph), that autosteer is disabled until I stop and restart.

I mean sure, disengage autosteer while going too fast, or even pop up a warning/error message. But let me re-enable when slowed down.

It's not like I ignored the warnings to hold the steering wheel, which I also know triggers the punishment.

Really, Tesla? WTAF?

it most likely thought you were dead at the wheel with your foot on the gas ...