Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.1 - Autopilot HW1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm still running 8.0(2.52.22).. My logic was that the car can reboot while still driving, so the flag that indicates it went from Drive to Park probably survives an MCU reboot, as that is part of the driving core code. But then again AP isn't part of the core code, so maybe that keep track of the flag. Needs more testing!! :)

Here's a theory as to why we won't see any further refinements to AP1 features:

<SNIP>

From a pure business sense, I completely understand. As an AP1 owner, it's a bummer - but hey, I still have a pretty solid AP system that works great on highways!

How well does your car come to pick you up on private property?

I would make that decision myself if I were in Elon's shoes. If AP1 owners get more AP functionality, I'll personally consider it a cherry on the top
<SNIP>

Let's also remember, there is no legal obligation for Tesla to update firmware on their vehicles forever and provide new functionality beyond safety corrections, and Tesla only makes money when they sell new vehicles -- so there is little business reason for Tesla to do much more related to AP1 unless it's easy or provides say better data collection for the whole.

How about fulfilling the promises made at the D event, which are the promises many of us purchased based upon. I would argue that Tesla most certainly does have a legal obligation to update the firmware on my car until such time as it can do what was promised.

How well does your car come to pick you up on private property?

Pretty darn well actually! It comes out of the garage after opening the garage door all by itself, then pull up enough to close it behind it.

I'm also exstatic I get to use AP on local roads. This was never promised at the launch event.

I tend to look at the positives and live in appreciation of what I have, not in despise of what I don't... sure, some people or companies can abuse that, but looking at the large picture: I'm pretty damned fortunate to be driving this amazing car that keeps getting better over time!

Pretty darn well actually! It comes out of the garage after opening the garage door all by itself, then pull up enough to close it behind it.

I'm also exstatic I get to use AP on local roads. This was never promised at the launch event.

I tend to look at the positives and live in appreciation of what I have, not in despise of what I don't... sure, some people or companies can abuse that, but looking at the large picture: I'm pretty damned fortunate to be driving this amazing car that keeps getting better over time!

Fair enough.

Perhaps I would be more willing to accept some of the broken promises were it not for the 691 HP fiasco. For me, that changed everything.

Reactions: yak-55
It seems (according to ev-fw.com.com) that fw updates alternate between AP1 and AP2. Can anyone confirm this?
Yes, this is what I've noticed over the last 3 months. AP1 will get a revision, followed by AP2, followed by AP1, etc. However, the 8.1 seems to have been rolled out at about the same time for both AP1s and AP2s. I got 8.1.17.11.10 during last week's update for my MX 90D with AP2.

And then to 2.9 with Ludicrous, but only if you have max battery heater on and ready and also use launch mode.

Nope, not for my P85DL. I get max power with or without launch mode.

And MBR doesn't add extra power via software, it just heats up the battery which in turns adds power by lowering internal resistence.

I know newer products (P90DL and beyond) have had issues. But I'm a happy P85DL customer and I got what I paid for!

Reactions: bhzmark
I hope that some day we AP1 owners will get some sort of screen mirroring, from our iPads/iPhones or Android devices to the 17" screen.
I think that was mentioned quite a while ago in lieu of the Developer's API access. Or am I making this up??

This is an issue for the entire fleet, not just AP1 cars. They're pretty much unrelated.

Elon mentioned screen mirroring about a year ago in lieu of an SDK. But I doubt that will happen, since it's pretty hard to do. Maybe with the mythical "kernel update" they will surprise us with something.

Samsung, Sony and LG have the screen mirroring secret sauce in their Smart TVs. So the solution and talent to manifest it is available.

In my experience that feature doesn't work very well in those TVs. It's plagued by random freezes and disconnects. It's slow: no good for video and even simple animations can be choppy. Picture quality suffers too.

But maybe we're drifting off topic....

My AP has been acting weird since 8.1.

I go on the same 1 hr commute every morning, and it's in the direction of the rising sun. With 8.0, I know that there are 2-3 spots that consistently confuse the AP, and I have to take control on those spots.

But today, as soon as i got on the freeway something was weird. It took a while for the system to acquire the lane markers. It would detect the right, then left, but lose the right, etc. Finally it acquired lane markers and I started AP. But this kept happening for most of the drive. It would lose lane markers on either the left or right, and this is in the HOV lane with very clear bright markings. Then, it lost BOTH lane markers and the car i was following turned blue into the lead car. On the freeway. At 70+ mph. At one point, it lost the lead car and gave me the "TAKE OVER IMMEDIATELY" alarm.

I really use AP cautiously and it's still new to me, but it was pretty scary today. Like I said, it consistently went on this stretch of freeway without any issues before, but it was off today. Can't see the lane markers?? It could be the angle of sun today or something. OR it could be the one thing that was different today: 8.1.

Don't want to blame 8.1, but just wanted to put it out there so everyone is cautious. Friend of mine also said his was acting different with 8.1 also, but more wandering in the lane.

I'll see how it does tomorrow morning...