Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.1 - Autopilot HW1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Travelled into Canada just after getting the update. Speed limit signs are seen but the dash reports a number 1.6x bigger (50km/h is "80"). Units are set to km. I seem to recall reading S had this problem early on when the software was first introduced.

Looks like the GPS thought you were still in USA and read the speed limit signs as miles / hour and since you had units set to km it dutifully multiplied by 1.6
Were you just near the border or deeper within Canada? Maybe it was still connected to a US cell tower.

is your auto park working with 8.1?

i don't use it regularly by any means, but on 8.0 i would test it out from time to time. since the update, i haven't been able to get the car to recognize a parking spot, so unable to initiate auto park even in very similar situations as before.

what are your experiences?

Updated to 17.11.10 last week and have noticed that the voice recognition has regressed from what I was experiencing in 8.0. "Navigate to..." is pretty much unusable and/or has a very long delay in deciphering what I have said. Used to work pretty well for nav input.

Looks like the GPS thought you were still in USA and read the speed limit signs as miles / hour and since you had units set to km it dutifully multiplied by 1.6
Were you just near the border or deeper within Canada? Maybe it was still connected to a US cell tower.
The dash would update when it saw a speed limit sign. It interpreted the number as mph and displayed the converted km/hr. This problem persisted all the way from the border where there was poor cell service into Quebec where the car had good connectivity. Last time I crossed the border leaving eastern Maine the car figured it out after a few minutes.

Also, this was a fun time when i tried to use AP IMG_1092.JPG

is your auto park working with 8.1?

i don't use it regularly by any means, but on 8.0 i would test it out from time to time. since the update, i haven't been able to get the car to recognize a parking spot, so unable to initiate auto park even in very similar situations as before.

what are your experiences?
Same issue here. Although I could have had this problem prior to 8.1 because I don't use autopark my car isn't seeing any parking spots now that I've been testing it.

Same issue here. Although I could have had this problem prior to 8.1 because I don't use autopark my car isn't seeing any parking spots now that I've been testing it.

I thought this but after restarting it now sees parking spots (drive 15mph or less, look at bottom right corner of IC and you'll see a gray P if the conditions for parallel autopark are met (two cars already parked with gap in between). Its scary and takes a while, I think I'll stick with parking myself.

To confirm: you have an ap1 vehicle?

Btw: driving in direction of sun on concrete paving in early to mid morning have been an issue for me since pickup last year. Have had 2-3 challenging situations while on interstates under those conditions.
I can confirm problem with concrete paving and lines in early morning (especially half white half black lines that are on I-95 in northern Florida).
Of course that was on 8.0 and when we finished our 1500 mile trip and parked the car in the garage last night got notice for 8.1 to install... will see if there was any improvement with 8.1 on concrete paving...

seems the car recognizes lane markings much faster than previously. also something i had not noticed before, when in an HOV lane, the car will not display the lane on the right until a legal HOV lane exit appears. the moment the solid yellow transitions into broken white, the right lane becomes lane change enabled.

Auto lane change always behaved like this (not changing across solid lines)

I thought this but after restarting it now sees parking spots (drive 15mph or less, look at bottom right corner of IC and you'll see a gray P if the conditions for parallel autopark are met (two cars already parked with gap in between). Its scary and takes a while, I think I'll stick with parking myself.
By "restarting" do you mean rebooting, turning off then on or something else?

So where is this so-called "Favorites station?" The release notes say that there is now a streaming station that contains all one's favorites. That sounds like a great idea so I wanted to try it. After I installed 8.1 (17.11.10), I looked for such a station and did not see one in my list of Favorites. So I designated a song as a "Favorite," using the thumbs-up, thinking that might prompt the appearance of a Favorites station, but still did not find one.
The updated onboard owner's manual does not seem clear on this point.
Has anyone else actually found a Favorites station? If so, where is it? And did you have to do something to get it to appear?
Thanks!

If you touch on Radio -> Streaming, it showed up for me in the last below, near the top radio stations. I'm not near my car right now, or I'd provide a picture.

It also seems that the Favorites Radio station is based on your favorites, but doesn't contain exclusively your favorites.

I just noticed today that when I exceed the speed limit plus my offset that I get two chimes about a second apart. Older firmware versions gave a single chime. I'm on 17.11.10 now. I can't say I like one chime more or less than two, but it's interesting to see this type of minor change.

What I found was the speed limit sign also got LARGER when the speed limit plus offset was exceeded.

Was that always there, and I just didn't notice it?