Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.1 - Autopilot HW1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why would Mobileye offer other companies anything resembling AP1, if AP1 wasn't developed by Mobileye? Or am I missing some hidden logic/clue behind your argument?

Maybe I didn't articulate it well, but that was supposed to be my point - Mobileye isn't offering anyone anything close to AP, presumably because most of it is done by Tesla.

They do offer lane departure warning and limited lane keeping, forward collision alert, and even speed limit reading.

I offered that data in support of the theory I suggested, which I've seen here a lot before - Mobileye does most or all the object recognition, the rest is Tesla.

Reactions: scottf200
AP1 wasn't developed by Mobileye. It's hybrid; Mobileye/eyeQ3 object recognition combined with Tesla programming to fuse it with the radar and to react to the objects. You'll notice that Mobileye isn't offering other companies anything resembling AP1 after the break with Tesla.
Right. Mobileye does things like image detection and classification (e.g., lane lines, speed limit signs, other vehicles). It is the same suite of features offered to every other auto manufacturer using their technology. Perhaps there are some tesla-specific tweaks, but its basic role is that of an image processor.

Mobileye provides a subset of inputs to the autopilot. The autopilot uses these inputs along with those of other sensors (radar, ultrasonic, gps, inertial) to derive steering, throttle, and brake inputs to keep the car on the desired path.

I suspect the reason AP2 is taking so long to gain parity is that the functionality of the Mobileye is turning out to be much more difficult to implement than anticipated. Mobileye has had years to refine their image classification technology; Tesla has had significantly less time with their new hardware. Once AP2's image detection and classification reaches parity with Mobileye, I expect AP2's capabilities to start exceeding those of AP1. But this could still be many months away.

Apparently 17.11.3 is applicable to us as well - I guess they've just been prioritizing AP2 cars because it does so much more for them.

I ended up having to go to the local service center today for a nail in a tire, and halfway through replacing the tire, they volunteered that there was new firmware available for the car if I wanted to wait for them to load it.

Sure enough, it is 8.1 (!7.11.3). :)

It turns out that I'd really like the headrest to be about an inch above the top of it's adjustment range, but it's certainly better now that I moved it to the top.

Apparently 17.11.3 is applicable to us as well - I guess they've just been prioritizing AP2 cars because it does so much more for them.

I ended up having to go to the local service center today for a nail in a tire, and halfway through replacing the tire, they volunteered that there was new firmware available for the car if I wanted to wait for them to load it.

Sure enough, it is 8.1 (!7.11.3). :)

It turns out that I'd really like the headrest to be about an inch above the top of it's adjustment range, but it's certainly better now that I moved it to the top.
I also got a nail last week, and they also bumped me to 17.11.3. Is the headrest adjustment available for next-gen seats?? I always thought the headrest was fixed.

I also got a nail last week, and they also bumped me to 17.11.3. Is the headrest adjustment available for next-gen seats?? I always thought the headrest was fixed.

It's not avail on my 9-2015 built MS with Next Gen seats. I don't believe there is any HW inside the headrest to adjust, or I missed something big time a long time ago.

The OTA update was only for the new Performance seats.

Right. Mobileye does things like image detection and classification (e.g., lane lines, speed limit signs, other vehicles). It is the same suite of features offered to every other auto manufacturer using their technology. Perhaps there are some tesla-specific tweaks, but its basic role is that of an image processor.

Mobileye provides a subset of inputs to the autopilot. The autopilot uses these inputs along with those of other sensors (radar, ultrasonic, gps, inertial) to derive steering, throttle, and brake inputs to keep the car on the desired path.

I suspect the reason AP2 is taking so long to gain parity is that the functionality of the Mobileye is turning out to be much more difficult to implement than anticipated. Mobileye has had years to refine their image classification technology; Tesla has had significantly less time with their new hardware. Once AP2's image detection and classification reaches parity with Mobileye, I expect AP2's capabilities to start exceeding those of AP1. But this could still be many months away.

I thought NVidia was now providing what Mobileye ... nvidia autonomous car - Google Search

Ok, I'm sure this was covered in previous threads, but I'm a noob with HW1.

I can't believe that I get my hand slapped when using AP1 and going to pass someone and pop over 90mph for a few seconds (92mph), that autosteer is disabled until I stop and restart.

I mean sure, disengage autosteer while going too fast, or even pop up a warning/error message. But let me re-enable when slowed down.

It's not like I ignored the warnings to hold the steering wheel, which I also know triggers the punishment.

Really, Tesla? WTAF?

Reactions: mikes_fsd

I can't believe that I get my hand slapped when using AP1 and going to pass someone and pop over 90mph for a few seconds (92mph), that autosteer is disabled until I stop and restart.

I mean sure, disengage autosteer while going too fast, or even pop up a warning/error message. But let me re-enable when slowed down.

It's not like I ignored the warnings to hold the steering wheel, which I also know triggers the punishment.

Really, Tesla? WTAF?

Interesting, in the 18 months I've had AP, I've never encountered this scenario - and I use it on a daily basis.

What I typically do when going over the AP speed limit is disengage it by at least moving the steering wheel enough, or pushing the TACC stalk away from me, then execute my high-speed maneuver.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Interesting, in the 18 months I've had AP, I've never encountered this scenario - and I use it on a daily basis.

What I typically do when going over the AP speed limit is disengage it by at least moving the steering wheel enough, or pushing the TACC stalk away from me, then execute my high-speed maneuver.

Well, I know that now. I don't remember if I was doing an auto-lane change and accelerated faster than 90mph or I just speeded up staying in the same lane to get out of the way of someone else. But I got a red error message and autosteer totally disabled.

Really, Tesla? WTAF?

There have been folks on the forum a couple times talking about using the accelerator to move the car to high speeds while using Autosteer for more than just a few seconds. I think Tesla sees this as a serious safety risk, so they've taken a hard line to discourage it.

There have been folks on the forum a couple times talking about using the accelerator to move the car to high speeds while using Autosteer for more than just a few seconds. I think Tesla sees this as a serious safety risk, so they've taken a hard line to discourage it.

I believe Tesla Racing Channel did a full quarter mile pass with a rolling start in autopilot...must have been an older update?

Tesla probably saw this and made some adjustments. :)

The real 8.1 for AP1 owners is still coming.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 96
Reactions: FlatSix911