Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.1 - Autopilot HW1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm getting more and more frustrated with the "auto-play". I don't know if it's my iphone or the car (I'm betting the car), but if I leave the car for an hour or two, upon return, it auto-plays whatever I was playing last.

BUT! When I leave the car for more than a few hours, it ALWAYS goes back to "Podcasts" and starts playing a random podcast I've already listened to. This doesn't happen with several other BT receivers I have, or in other cars. Just the Tesla. I've tried deleting the BT profile on both devices, renaming them, re-pairing, and no matter what, the car INSISTS on listening to S-TOWN or the Better Call Saul Insider podcats, regardless of what the phone was set to previously. Even if I force-quit the podcasts app, the car starts it up again. GAH!!!
I’ve noticed this as well, but only if I precondition. If I am playing a podcast, and shut the door at 10 minutes in, then pre-cool for 10 minutes, the podcast is at 20 minutes when I get to the car as if I was playing it while preconditioning.

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark
@HankLloydRight, Unfortunately the sometimes-random take-over of Bluetooth Music has been something some owners have encountered for a number of months... if it is an iPhone issue, it's happened across multiple iOS releases, so I doubt it. There are other variations of your symptoms as well. We've discussed it some in the Comprehensive USB thread, because some of us try to listen to our own USB music for the most part, and are interrupted by these sort of issues, amongst others. It does not always work, or fix things for long, but try doing a full reboot of the CID -- foot on brake; hold both scrollwheels until Tesla T appears, then let go of all 3. Good luck, and welcome to what I call in the other thread, the Tesla Twilight Zone.

My S85D with AP1 (duh) is on 8.1(17.11.10), and as you can guess it's been running that for awhile. As luck would have it I'm away from my car for a couple weeks, and it's been giving me notifications for a software update every few days (not exactly at regular intervals however). I have no idea of course what build is staged for upgrade.

The fact that I'm basically ignoring this pending software update for about two weeks (instead of installing the microsecond after the notification :))... is this going to cause a problem when I finally get back to my car and tell it to install?

Bruce.
I also have an AP1 on fw 17.14 23. About a week and a half ago just as we were heading out in a trip it prompted me for an update. I elected to not take it thinking i would do the update when i got back in town the next week. It promoted me most of the week, however upon our return i found that the update has ceased to be available. Anyone else experience this?

• Informative
Reactions: bmah
I found that it greatly reduced the roads where speed limiting was in effect. I'm sure it depends on the road, but I did a longish trip on a highway which is mostly 2 lane, undivided (but no stop lights or stop signs) and the entire thing was unlimited. In the past, only a few divided sections were unlimited.

Man that is a total bummer. I was hoping that speed limiting on more roads wasn't true. I guess I'll hold off on the install for now. Thanks for the info.

I found that it greatly reduced the roads where speed limiting was in effect. I'm sure it depends on the road, but I did a longish trip on a highway which is mostly 2 lane, undivided (but no stop lights or stop signs) and the entire thing was unlimited. In the past, only a few divided sections were unlimited.
I have also found many more roads where the restriction has been lifted than previously unrestricted roads that are now restricted.

I also have an AP1 on fw 17.14 23. About a week and a half ago just as we were heading out in a trip it prompted me for an update. I elected to not take it thinking i would do the update when i got back in town the next week. It promoted me most of the week, however upon our return i found that the update has ceased to be available. Anyone else experience this?

I was holding off on the update because some seemed to not be happy with it. As of yesterday it was no longer available to me. Interesting. Not sure if it will come back or what.

I was holding off on the update because some seemed to not be happy with it. As of yesterday it was no longer available to me. Interesting. Not sure if it will come back or what.

As a matter of fact, I too had lost the option to update, found it gone after a few days. Well, this morning, getting ready to head off to work, I again saw the option to update. Thinking of taking the update, may be a later release that resolves some of the misgivings being reported in the interim builds. We have to move forward, it will get better, but only if we are all vigilant and aware of the limitations of this technology. I know my AP1 will never achieve Level 3 or 4 or 5 capability, but I want to pave as much of the road for future generations of vehicles in the fleet as I can contribute, including accepting that once in a while, they may end up changing something slightly I was satisfied with.

I was driving on Hwy 99 between Corning and Chico, CA a couple of days ago and noticed that on the undivided portion of that freeway, I was still able to set AP at 10mph over the speed limit:

IMG_5866.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: EVie'sDad
I was driving on Hwy 99 between Corning and Chico, CA a couple of days ago and noticed that on the undivided portion of that freeway, I was still able to set AP at 10mph over the speed limit:

View attachment 238339
Yes, the new database they are using (TomTom, I believe?) seems to be a bit more permissive about which roads are classified as limited access. I know some around here complain that they are getting further restricted, but in my area many previously-restricted roads are now unrestricted.

I just got an update notification - it's probably the same as yours. I wonder if the days of new features for us AP1 people are gone?

We need to be careful how we phrase things. I personally wouldn't expect much if any new AP1 functionality with respect to the driving-assist systems (TACC, autosteer, AEB, etc.). Bug fixes and fine-tuning would be nice, but I'd mostly like for Tesla to not break anything (in other words cause regressions), because AP1 as it exists now works pretty well for me. (YMMV of course, I know some people have different levels of satisfaction.)

There are some other software systems (cough cough nav cough cough media player) that could definitely stand some improvement, but are not particularly tied to the autopilot hardware (or lack thereof). Any improvements in those areas should be fairly universal and I would expect to see those across the different hardware platforms (er, cars / configurations).

Just my opinion, worth what ya paid for it...

Bruce.

So, I received 17.32.6 over a WiFi yesterday, and I've noticed a new AP behavior since then.

Since AP's early days, it was possible to enable "overtake acceleration" when passing a slower-than-AP-speed-limit vehicle on the left lane, meaning if AP was set to a certain speed (say 65mph) but following a car at a slower speed (say 55mph) in a middle lane, fully engaging or holding the turn signal down toward the left lane caused AP to accelerate while changing lanes to pass said slower vehicle.

This wasn't the case when passing the slower vehicle to the right - until now. I thought it was a fluke at first, but was able to reproduce it several times during my commute over the last 24 hours (yes, that's easy to do up here in NorCal with slow drivers sticking to the left lanes all the time..)

Has anyone else noticed this?

So, I received 17.32.6 over a WiFi yesterday, and I've noticed a new AP behavior since then.

Since AP's early days, it was possible to enable "overtake acceleration" when passing a slower-than-AP-speed-limit vehicle on the left lane, meaning if AP was set to a certain speed (say 65mph) but following a car at a slower speed (say 55mph) in a middle lane, fully engaging or holding the turn signal down toward the left lane caused AP to accelerate while changing lanes to pass said slower vehicle.

This wasn't the case when passing the slower vehicle to the right - until now. I thought it was a fluke at first, but was able to reproduce it several times during my commute over the last 24 hours (yes, that's easy to do up here in NorCal with slow drivers sticking to the left lanes all the time..)

Has anyone else noticed this?

I'm on 17.14.23 and just tried this, and on full AP1 I can initiate a passing maneuver to the left or the right. Did it three times. I can load my dashcam video later.

I'm on 17.14.23 and just tried this, and on full AP1 I can initiate a passing maneuver to the left or the right. Did it three times. I can load my dashcam video later.

But does the car accelerate while passing on the right, or just the left?
It used to be just left, for me at least. I'm pretty sure there used to be a setting that explicitly called that out, but l can't find it anymore.