Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.1 - Autopilot HW2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is highway AS still restricted to 55mph in certain highways? I have 17.11.3, only been able to use in BQE and LIE, and AS is only available up to 55mph. All other features are working. 55mph is fine for these specific roads, but I am wondering if I am still calibrating in some form...

I don't think anyone has remarked on this yet, but I noticed lanes to either side of mine are now faintly outlined...

Saw that today. It's very hit and miss though. In 100 miles of driving, maybe 5 miles showed more than one lane.

I did notice one interesting difference between AP1 and AP2 on this ride and firmware: The AP2 allows you to gently correct its mistakes without disengaging. For example, several times when I switch lanes, the car would over steer and start to wobble to get in lane. I would very gently force the car into the lane and it would just (as if it was a student learning) let me do what needs to be done and then take over without disengaging.

+1

Noticed this today. Seems more natural to be able to override AP within a lane without disengaging it, as BMW do with their latest version of AP. Just wish it allowed a bit more freedom - anything more than a gentle nudge switches AP off.

Last edited:
Did you experience any problems with 17.11.10 update?

I installed few hours ago and now I have big issues:

- No summon
- No Autopilot
- No speed limit signals
- No TACC !!!!!!
- No Navigator

OMG! :-( 17.11.3 works nicely in my X but this is a mess.

I had the same problem my Model X after the 17.11.3 update and the 17.11.10 update did not help. Also my headlights never shut off on auto mode and my lights don't stay on for a minute after parking even though they are set to.... I was told by my SC that it is a known firmware issue with some vehicles and they are "working on a solution"... Hope they resolve this quickly....

I was switching my kid's carseat over from the latch system to the seatbelt, as per manufacturer recommendation.

I know it's a bit OT, but sounds important so please provide some details about this. I'm using LATCH for my infant granddaughter's seat in my S 90D because I thought it was always better than the belt option. The seat is from Uppababy. Who issued this recommendation, and how broadly does it apply?

Thanks.

I
I had to put a WiFi range extender near my garage to get my car to stay connected. Signal should have been strong enough without, so maybe there was something about my WiFi router that Tesla didn't like. Worth a try perhaps?
Have received all my updates over the cellular network some early, middle and late. Most have arrived within an hour after returning from approximately a 2hr trip.

17.11.3 had much more reliable lines in the behind-steering-wheel display. But after starting a camping trip, the lines disappeared and no assistance sensors data was showing on the display any more except the parking sensors. A first reboot of the touchscreen fixed it but the next day it happened again and a touchscreen reboot didn't fix it.

How does one reboot the behind steering wheel display? No guesses, please.

I wonder if the high mileage of the camping trip caused it. Maybe logs filled the disk, and/or logs couldn't get to the Mothership due to cell coverage issues in the mountains, and they queued up and filled the disk. But, it has had some connection opportunities, since we ended up in a hotel instead, and had wifi.

17.11.3 had much more reliable lines in the behind-steering-wheel display. But after starting a camping trip, the lines disappeared and no assistance sensors data was showing on the display any more except the parking sensors. A first reboot of the touchscreen fixed it but the next day it happened again and a touchscreen reboot didn't fix it.

How does one reboot the behind steering wheel display? No guesses, please.

I wonder if the high mileage of the camping trip caused it. Maybe logs filled the disk, and/or logs couldn't get to the Mothership due to cell coverage issues in the mountains, and they queued up and filled the disk. But, it has had some connection opportunities, since we ended up in a hotel instead, and had wifi.

Exactly the same has now happened to mine. Parked at work this morning with everything working (other than high speed autosteer asking for manual calibration) and when I left at the end of the day there was nothing showing in the middle of my IC. No cars, lane markings, no cruise at all.

Exactly the same has now happened to mine. Parked at work this morning with everything working (other than high speed autosteer asking for manual calibration) and when I left at the end of the day there was nothing showing in the middle of my IC. No cars, lane markings, no cruise at all.

And it resolved after a two scroll wheel reset with my foot on the brake. No idea if that computer is even responsible for those functions. Maybe the mothership reset something. Don't know if my manual calibration error is gone.

• Helpful
Reactions: Ulmo
Hold down the button above each of the scroll wheels.
I tried this, and it worked. It took 15 or 20 seconds to go black. I may have also had the brake pedal pressed; I don't know if that was part of the process. The car was in park, charger plugged in, seat heater on, and HVAC heater on.

While out there, I first reset the touchscreen (both scroll wheels). Tomorrow, I will get to see if all of this resetting of both displays had any effect on the assistance features showing up (lane markings, forward radar, speed limits, etc.).

Another point: The problems showed up about the same time I had recently turned on Lane Assist. Maybe this is a bug that manifests when Lane Assist is on.

Since it first showed up during a trip in which I was in an area with lots of sightseers driving half the speed limit for hours on end (typically Toyota), I found many chances to pass. Perhaps the lack of me staying put in my lane triggered some man-specified error pathway in the Artificial Intelligence which causes it to shut down, kind of like a sick person goes home to bed then to the hospital when they know they're sick. If this is the case, then this hypochondriac behavior seems counterproductive at this point. However, double checking sensible output is something I agree with, so it just needs to be a more sophisticated heuristic, if that's what's happening.

I know it's a bit OT, but sounds important so please provide some details about this. I'm using LATCH for my infant granddaughter's seat in my S 90D because I thought it was always better than the belt option. The seat is from Uppababy. Who issued this recommendation, and how broadly does it apply?

The recommendation with LATCH is regarding the weight limit. If the child + the seat exceeds the weight limit of the anchors, it is best to use the seatbelt. Here is a quick article I found on it.

LATCH: What's the Deal with Weight Limits? - Car Seats For The Littles

As my kids got older (and heavier) I used LATCH to hold the seat/booster in place, but still used the seatbelt. Not sure if this was a good idea or not, but that's what I did.

Not much posting the last couple days about the performance of the new software release. Not sure whether this is a case of "no news is good news" or not. Anyone care to comment on the current state of the AP release versus prior releases?

RT

Is highway AS still restricted to 55mph in certain highways? I have 17.11.3, only been able to use in BQE and LIE, and AS is only available up to 55mph. All other features are working. 55mph is fine for these specific roads, but I am wondering if I am still calibrating in some form...

I've been using auto-steer at over 70mph on both LIE and Northern Parkway with no problem. Your car probably just need more calibration.