Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.1 - Autopilot HW2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Drove on AS about 20 miles at 70 mph. Pretty good experience, though the tacc likes to approach stalled traffic at high speed and brake at the last minute, which is both scary and inefficient. What's obvious to me, that the jam isn't going to ease in the next few seconds, seems unknown to the car. I thought it was supposed to look several cars ahead by bouncing radar off the asphalt under the car in front. Was that just hype?

At times the AS let me go hands-free for over a minute. Other times only about ten seconds. How does the car decide it needs me?

• Helpful
Reactions: Sawyer8888
Noticed posts about key fob not working with Summons. I experienced the same issue but was able to fix it by disabling continuous press in the customize setting for Summons. When requires "continuous press" is enabled, it does not work. Disable it, and voila! it works. Hope this helps.

BTW I'm also experiencing quite the improvement with Autosteer. So good that it was too easy in some situations. Found myself no longer cheering the car on. Come on...come on...you can do it!!....turned it into, ah man you got this.;-) Certainly still needs work but nice improvement. Already looking forward to next release.

Last edited:
Tested high speed autosteer. Worked great. Lane changes went smoothly. I had AP on the entire time on the highway which was fun and a relief. Its finally working like how it should've been in December.

Summon was fun. It is raining in Chicago today and I was able to summon my car when I forgot a bag and then summon it away. I stayed dry (I wish I had an X with autopresenting doors and whatnot but at least the power liftgate works when you forget something in the trunk).

• Informative
Reactions: Turing
I tried automatically exit the freeway and it didn't work the first time I tried it but it actually took the second exit at 75 miles an hour without slowing down at all. Definitely a work in progress.
You might want to wait until they actually release freeway exit functionality before you try it. People tried that in previous releases as well and it hasn't been released yet. Until you see it in the release notes, don't assume it can handle freeway exits automatically.

The Auto Lane Change feature that was released in 8.1 is for changing to an adjacent driving lane, not for changing to an exit lane.

This morning I had high speed AS, so the camera calibrated or whatever. Worked really well on the highway. Lane changing worked well too. Again, hard to tell, but seemed like it let traffic merge more gracefully too. I'm going on maybe 2-3 weeks without a TACC freakout.

There are a few curves I've been using to gage progress through the releases. One is a big interchange ramp and that worked well (I wrote that above). This morning I tried my surface street test at 27 MPH and performance was virtually unchanged. Overall, it seems like surface street performance is about the same ... maybe.

• Informative
Reactions: NateB and NerdUno
Here is [summon] from a smaller garage. :)

Just a word of caution to keep your hands on your remote so you can push a button to stop the car if it does something stupid. Mine started backing up without opening the garage door even though that option had been checked. Detecting an object didn't seem to work either since it was within 6 inches of the garage door. :eek:

Reactions: Swift
Did you check the settings to make sure it was still enabled?
Yes, I had to turn on all the new stuff, I also tried turning auto steer off and on again. Also Tried powering down the car fully for 5min. Still no Auto Steer or cruse. I don't see any lines on my display or other cars than mine. Drove around for about hour last night and an hours this morning on local and freeways. No dice.