Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.1 - Autopilot HW2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I notice there are lots of Sunbelt folks commenting here. The climate here in the Northeast tends to leave our highways (we don't have Freeways; EZ Pass sees to that) with faded lane markings at the best of times, and snow-covered ones in the wake of storms. Are there any other hardy New Englanders or midwesterners on this forum. If so, how are the AS features working for you?

I tried it in VT while going to Killington and also in Maine going to Sugarloaf, AS worked well as long as "I" can easily recognize where the road is at. If not, I wouldn't even want to try. :)

Updated last night, first experience this morning was good. Completed 30 miles of freeway driving at 80mph, multiple lane changes, without any real issues and no need to interrupt or take over. One lane change was a little jerky, the rest were very smooth. Very pleased with the progress.
Can't seem to find this anywhere but I'm assuming local driving is still 35 mph limit?

Hello!

I was doing autosteer this morning at 25 mph around a slow curve and it was bouncing between the curve and the center line. I just figured the darkness impeded the boundary identification.

I didn't test local autosteer on some curves I took before to see if it takes them any better yet. I also don't have a driveway that'd work well with Summon so I haven't tried that.

So I videoed my drive to work this morning after getting 8.1 last night. The wavy lines are completely gone. The car drives very smoothly and keeps centered except on certain turns. It still misses sharp turns even though the lines are drawn correctly and the center screen shows the car going over the lines before bringing it back into it's lane.

The other thing I notices on the highway driving is that the car doesn't draw the picture of trucks and it doesn't draw pictures of vehicles in adjacent lanes like AP1 does.
drive.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
Does it still brake when approaching overhead signs and bridges on the highway?

Yes. It did it for me today as I passed under my "favorite" overpass that does not seem that low! Went from 65mph down to 41mph and then back up. I am sure people behind me were wondering "what the heck?" (Today was my first day of testing "17.11....." or 8.1 or whatever it is officially!)

• Informative
Reactions: Swift and Kant.Ing
Oh and my ventilated seats now have a much higher volume output than before.

I think that may be just the feeling of having smoke blown up our rear ends with all the talk of AP1 parity by end of December 2016.

With regard to the earlier conjecture about the system reading road signs: I engaged AS on a road with a 30 mph sign while the GPS was reporting speed limit as 25 mph. The system used the gps setting. So that rumor isn't correct.

I drove about 20 miles on local streets today. I had to continually take over control as AS kept up its drunk driver imitation exactly as in 8.0 .

I never said it went as planned. Obviously it was planned to be released months ago, yes. But things happen. Like, say, your Director of Autopilot leaves the company (possibly stealing data) to go start his own self-driving company. That could have an impact. Plus, Elon tends to be a bit optimistic.

Regardless, I'm not sure how that's relevant to your statement that because 2 cameras are now turned on, 2 cameras are needed to keep the car in its lane to match AP1.

"They activated the second camera out of necessity just to get the system to parity" is absolute conjecture supported by zero evidence.

Machine learning is a process that requires lots of data. When AP1 came out it was pretty shaky at times and dove for the exits. It took 2 years of refinement to get where it is now. Doesn't mean the MobilEye camera was insufficient, as evidenced by how stable AP1 is now (as it has matured).

I'm confused what you're saying. I am stating the fact that the second camera was updated, and now the system is closer to parity. Could they have gotten the system working with one camera? I have no idea, and I'm not sure why you think you do either since clearly that isn't the reality we're currently living in. Tesla activated a second camera and now the system is more stable, but still not parity. Period.

Drove on AS about 20 miles at 70 mph. Pretty good experience, though the tacc likes to approach stalled traffic at high speed and brake at the last minute, which is both scary and inefficient. What's obvious to me, that the jam isn't going to ease in the next few seconds, seems unknown to the car. I thought it was supposed to look several cars ahead by bouncing radar off the asphalt under the car in front. Was that just hype?

At times the AS let me go hands-free for over a minute. Other times only about ten seconds. How does the car decide it needs me?

Mine did well on the freeway on a long commute w 8.1 ... im relatively new to tesla but auto lane change worked well. Caveats: one part of the road underpass had no lines for a 20 ft section of road and car seemed a little confused so i took over. Overall its working well on fwy. On tiny surface streets at 25mph it still crosses the center yellow line like its drunk lolll!!

• Informative
Reactions: Kant.Ing
On tiny surface streets at 25mph it still crosses the center yellow line like its drunk lolll!!

I see the same thing. Might as well go down the middle.

Also find it interesting that on state highways that have two lanes in each direction with painted center median lane the car isn't showing adjacent lanes like people are reporting on highways. Different code for different roads?

Reactions: cybergates
I got the update and lost auto steer, TACC, etc. My guess is that I'll need to get her out on the interstate and calibrate again before the functionality returns?

Hmm that sounds odd to me. Mine had to calibrate, but that just meant I couldn't go over 55mph last night(was finished calibrating today). The release notes made it sound like that's what's supposed to happen. Might be time to call your SC.

Also find it interesting that on state highways that have two lanes in each direction with painted center median lane the car isn't showing adjacent lanes like people are reporting on highways. Different code for different roads?

At least for me, it only shows adjacent lanes when AS is activated and it's on a freeway(with the corresponding 80mph limit for AS)

So, I had a great experience with auto steer this morning. For the first 20 miles of the way home, both TACC and the AS would not work at all on highways. I stopped, rebooted the display and stopped for dinner. It worked again when continuing home except I will say that around curbs it hugged the right side a bit too close for my comfort.

I suspect the second camera is only being used on interstate highways where 80mph speeds are allowed.
When the max speed is 35mph, I would bet that only one camera is being used which is why it still drives like a drunk, the lines are still wavy, and the adjacent lanes aren't seen.
Just a guess though.

• Informative
Reactions: cybergates