Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.1 - Autopilot HW2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't own or moderate the forums. I'm just a user. I can only create threads.

When I suggested to the mods to create separate Firmware threads for AP1, AP2, Classics and General, they said "just do it and own it", so I did that to take some of the load off the mods.

All these threads were created under the "Tesla Motors" forum, and not under any particular Model forum, since they are generic to models (mostly). There's no need to spread FW 8.1 discussions around to separate Model forums.

I never read anything other than the Model S section, so if the discussions aren't there a lot of people won't see them. It is hard enough just to keep on top of the six sections under Model S. Expanding beyond that is completely unmanageable.

I never read anything other than the Model S section, so if the discussions aren't there a lot of people won't see them. It is hard enough just to keep on top of the six sections under Model S. Expanding beyond that is completely unmanageable.

just "watch" the threads. I don't even notice which threads are in which forum -- it doesn't matter.

I just got my update, v8.1 (17.11.3) for my new AP2 Model S. Summon works, the headrest thing worked. No auto headlights yet. Autopilot won't drive faster than 35 mph on local roads but did drive 75 on the freeway. The blue lines are solid on freeway driving, no wavey lines at all and it does show the other lanes and cars driving in the other lanes. Auto Lane change worked fine on the freeways, as well as my AP1 car does, very smooth. I tried automatically exit the freeway and it didn't work the first time I tried it but it actually took the second exit at 75 miles an hour without slowing down at all. Definitely a work in progress.

just "watch" the threads. I don't even notice which threads are in which forum -- it doesn't matter.

Yes. There are many ways to solve this problem. I personally watch the "recent threads" and "recent posts" to basically see "what's new" -- regardless of which forum it's in. The only time I go to a specific forum page is to make a new thread in the right place. The rest of the time, it's just watching "watched threads" and "what's new" to keep tabs on what's happening.

Updated this afternoon - took about 30 minutes. Drove about 15 miles after the update - mostly highway but some local roads getting to/from the highway.

Was only able to use highway autosteer a few times with the previous (lower speed limit) versions but it seems much smoother now. The lane lines are a lot less wavy on well marked lanes. I only saw some waviness when the markings were really bad or missing (for example merging lanes). I was on a 3 lane highway and all lanes were marked on the screen when I was in the middle lane but cars were only indicated in my lane, not to either side. A couple times it seemed to drift in the lane closer to cars on the left/right but not like the truck lust everyone talks about and this was with a minivan and a regular sedan. Could have just been my imagination or it could have been them drifting closer to me. Not sure.

Auto lane change worked well. Maybe merged a bit quicker than I would but mostly smooth. Didn't try it with any cars nearby.

Local road autosteer is mostly the same with the same speed limits but with less jumpiness in the lines on the little bit I was able to use it. Didn't really feel like it changed other than that. The low speed limit makes it difficult to use where I'm driving.

Used summon to pull the car out of the garage and it worked well. Won't be using it to go INTO the garage until I'm more confident in how it performs lol

Overall, pretty satisfying. Took delivery in December and this is about what I expected it to be (and we were led to believe it WOULD be) in early January. It now feels useful for what I need - before this it was too limited to be of much use other than TACC.

Its amazing how quickly this car improves from update to update.
I got the update this evening; after I installed it I went for a test drive on local and Interstate. The local road is still 35 mph but wow was the steering smooth. Next the expressway going 65 -75 mph. I thought it was going to be nerve wracking but it was very smooth; even the lane changes. For most of the Express Way drive the car and I were in agreement on lane position, speed and spacing. I took the same local road back but in reverse; this time the car had issues finding the lane and was jerky. Not prefect but none the less a good improvement. I was hoping for a little more local speed as I live in the country but I can see the progress. This AI car system learns quickly and the pace should start to pick up from what I have read about AI.

I just spent the last 45 minutes playing with my Tesla after the new update. Autopilot was great during the mild rain during my I-70 test at 70 MPH. Also changed lanes quite well. Summon was exceptional and pulled the car into my very tight garage spot. The lane departure vibration in the steering wheel is pretty weak and I could barely feel it but it worked well overall. I am impressed so far and can't wait to see what comes in the next few months.

So as the anxious person I am to get the new toys - and having received no update last night - after I went to lunch today I parked my car close to my office to connect to wifi while at work. About an hour later my Tesla IOS app told me I had an update. I went to my car, it said I had the update (my first since I got the car 11 days ago) and that it would take 1 hr 40 minutes to install. I clicked to start. About 30 minutes later my phone app notified me the installation failed. The car said something like it had to re-download the update and start again (I don't recall the exact language).

Also, the iPhone app now has the Summon feature so it believes I have the new software.

Do I need to do anything for the update to start over again?

As a follow-up, and perhaps others have had the above situation happen, the car reported that the update failed after less than 30-40 minutes from when I started the update. Yet, the phone and car both indicate I have the update installed, and I have tried everything but Summon (which seems enabled on the settings), and they all work.

So, did it take 30-40 minutes to install the update, and do I have any reason to worry about my stability?

FYI, the autosteer was a bit shaky at first but after 30 miles it seemed to work well at 75 mph, even the lane change worked smoothly 3 out of four try (one time nothing happened). I really did not see cars in the adjacent lanes on the center display.

• Informative
Reactions: NateB
After arriving home I tried out the Summon feature. After getting my distance settings set I gave it a try. Everything worked fine while using the phone app but could not get it work using the fob. Will need to keep working on that one.
Me too. I thought I was holding it wrong, but no. Phone works awesome - even Homelink. But no dice w fob. Hazards don't even flash.

Just installed and went for the first drive.

AP feels much more solid now. Massive improvement from a few days ago. Lane lines also have a new rendering algorithm, as I noticed about ~80% improvement in line "dancing" when compared to the last version.

• Informative
Reactions: NateB
Similar experience to most that AP is much improved. I have an interchange I try it out on and this was the first version to handily make it. Also, if you are stopped behind a car and lane lines are visible, you can engage AP. Much less lane dancing. My highway speed is limited to 55 still, but I'll give that some time before I freak out. Summon w fob is broken for me I believe. Phone app works - significant eye roll from wife when I had it drive out of the garage and I opened the door for her.