Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.1 - Autopilot HW2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Needing lane markings, or to follow the car in front, are a fairly primitive form of autonomous driving. The more advanced form is using may identifiable objects to place the car with precision on a 3D map.

Ah, no. Very much no. Where do you get this? Plenty of demos have already demonstrated what you describe. It's a good looking demo. But it is a dead end developmentally for level 5 automation. It can be a shortcut for level 4 on well described routes that don't change... i.e. Disney amusement park ride. Doing a demo for VC money. But in terms of ADAS development, any project that pursued this hits a brick wall and has to do all the real hard work of vision and path in a different way.

Needing lane markings, or to follow the car in front, are a fairly primitive form of autonomous driving. The more advanced form is using may identifiable objects to place the car with precision on a 3D map.

There is not a lot of evidence yet that AP2 has a good map or knows exactly where it is on that map. Is Tesla currently developing advanced functionality, or just putting out fires trying to get back to AP1 functionality? I have a very good sense of what Waymo is doing, Tesla seems messy.

Considering Musk's comments in December, I expected a bigger jump in functionality with 8.1. Tesla may need do the high resolution mapping with specialized vehicles that other companies are doing. Sometimes a shortcut is a dead end.

Precision 3D maps are a great thing, and certainly helpful to self driving. The problem with them is they are static - they don't include the car veering between lanes, the wide load truck in the next lane and half of your lane, the road debris and potholes.

To be a safe self driving car you need to react correctly to a changing environment - which means you'll always need to be able to read the lane lines and follow the car in front.

That certainly doesn't mean the precision map is worthless - it's part of the fusion approach needed for good self driving. In the longer term I expect Tesla will be using three sets of data to guide the car, noting and updating things as needed in real time.

The first will be the same way a human drives the car - reading lane lines and traffic and objects around the car.

The second will be high precision GPS integrated with a precision map.

The third I expect to be a radar object map, an extension of the whitelist Tesla has been building for several months now. By comparing what the radar sees with known/expected objects on that map, the car can confirm its location against the GPS location (if necessary/useful the cameras could be taught to recognize stationary objects and used in aid of this as well.)

Since all the cars are always connected, the first car that sees a deviation from what the map expects can report it, and the map can be updated (could be programmed to wait for confirmation by a second/third car if necessary for security or miscalibration issues.)

• Helpful
Reactions: MikeBur and MP3Mike
But you don't even need high definition mapping to know the radius of an upcoming curve. I would think that the underlying maps being used "should" include curve radius information. That can be calculated off line and built into the maps. If the car knows this, then it could also be used to actively plan the path through the curve. For example, not allowing the car to track too close to the center line on a right hand turn as others have observed.

I think you're dreaming if you think AP2 vehicles are using maps at this juncture. I could cite numerous examples of roads with 90 degree turns where my car AT FULL SPEED would have driven straight into a wall or the water (your choice) if I hadn't deactivated autosteer. Many of these roads have been around for 50 years or more and are clearly shown on any and all maps.

Where did I get this? Waymo. Actual autonomous cars.

You are confounding ADAS with autonomous driving. I'll pick the Sergey Brin thoughtful, long term approach over a Musk last minute shortcut every time.

I suggest reading some research papers.

Plenty of demo projects showed 3D mapping and path within the 3D map, more than a decade ago. It can bring about a certain kind of level 4 autonomy, but cannot handle the general use cases and is essentially a dead end by itself. It is a good demo for getting VC money though.

Reactions: MP3Mike
I have the newest update in the car (17.11.3) and it autosteer pretty well at 70 miles an hour on the freeway. However, at least two of the new features from this update don't seem to be in my car, a late December 2016 S90D.

One – no matter how many times I tried tapping three times on the Tesla icon at the top of the screen I cannot get the sketchpad to come up. While it seems it would be hard for me to get that wrong, any ideas?

Two – as far as I know I have the NexGen seats, yet when I try using the lumbar support buttons I never get the promised pop up on the screen letting me choose either lumbar or headrest. I do notice one discrepancy – my lumbar support switch is a fourth position switch, (up, down, front and back), while the picture in the release notes simply shows a two direction switch . Again, any ideas?

Thanks.

I have the newest update in the car (17.11.3) and it autosteer pretty well at 70 miles an hour on the freeway. However, at least two of the new features from this update don't seem to be in my car, a late December 2016 S90D.

One – no matter how many times I tried tapping three times on the Tesla icon at the top of the screen I cannot get the sketchpad to come up. While it seems it would be hard for me to get that wrong, any ideas?

Two – as far as I know I have the NexGen seats, yet when I try using the lumbar support buttons I never get the promised pop up on the screen letting me choose either lumbar or headrest. I do notice one discrepancy – my lumbar support switch is a fourth position switch, (up, down, front and back), while the picture in the release notes simply shows a two direction switch . Again, any ideas?

Thanks.

You have to tap quickly three times - faster than double mouse click.

The upgraded seats with movable headrest were not offered until shortly after you and I ordered apparently.

That's a bummer that the NexGen seats do not have movable headrests (although I'm actually quite fine with what is there). But I was really looking forward to telling my friends how a software update allowed the apparently Immobile headrest to move! It would have sparked some interesting discussions :)

And the "10–tap" work just fine.

Thanks all.

I suggest reading some research papers.

Plenty of demo projects showed 3D mapping and path within the 3D map, more than a decade ago. It can bring about a certain kind of level 4 autonomy, but cannot handle the general use cases and is essentially a dead end by itself. It is a good demo for getting VC money though.

Maybe my terminology off. Waymo has shown what they are doing. They record elevation, so I assume that is termed "3D map". But they are certainly making high resolution images and recording object location in three dimensions. Same with Nissan.

Tag discernible fixed objects. Measure bearing, distance, and elevation relative car location. Determine car location on previously made map. Mobileye's claimed innovation is a low bandwidth way off accumulating this information from production cars. Googles way is to drive around in specialized vehicles and carefully build a map their Waymo cars use.

Perhaps today's new from Elektrek may shed some light on the AP2 problems.
Tesla’s VP of Autopilot Vision leaves to join Nvidia

With Jinnah Hosein dividing his time as acting head of AP and as Space-X VP of software, it makes sense that much of the work might fall on his subordinates. VP of Autopilot division, David Nister, according to the article, was displaced from AP duties in January when Tesla brought in Chris Lattner from Apple to take over the AP software team. One might surmise that Tesla management were not happy with how AP development was progressing under Nister and brought in Lattner to right the ship. Nister, seeing no advancement at Tesla, has now jumped to Nvidia.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: bhzmark and NerdUno
Other than a possible #aprilfools easter egg, I can't see any difference in the release notes between 17.11.3 and 17.11.10. Anyone?

This afternoon the Service center gave me 17.11.3 for my AP1 car. If I'm understanding right that 17.11.10 is being rolled out to AP2 cars today, I'm thinking that indicates .10 is a bug fix for AP2 - otherwise this afternoon I would have gotten 17.11.10.