Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.1 by the end of January '17

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to say that having OTA is rather important. If the Bolt has to go in for service when they find a bug, which they will, how unpleasant that will be. Having OTA is the ONLY way in the modern era of technology. Look at cell phones. OTA has been there for seemingly forever. Not having OTA for the Bolt is, well just dumb (cheap?) I think.
Not dumb or cheap. It's required to keep their dealers happy.

• Helpful
Reactions: Fiddler

Yep, it's part of the contract GM signs with each of its dealers in order for the dealer to maintain as much control over the product lifecycle as possible... Each software update requires a service visit which is an opportunity for the dealer to steal, I mean generate, additional revenue for ancillary things like tire rotation, accessories, etc... That's why not every Chevy dealership will be able to service the Bolt and currently don't service the Volt... The cost to train the techs and buy the service diagnostic equipment is usually more than they'll ever make back (especially on the Bolt as with the Volt you can still sell oil changes) in service revenue to cover...

Jeff

• Informative
Reactions: Fiddler

That is very true. I should dig out my BMW lemon law paperwork…. At one point they charged 24 hours of labor (which is around $3000) for applying a software update to my car, and of course that gets billed to BMW corporate.

The tech explained to me that there were something like 100 CAN modules that needed to be updated, and it required a reboot of the workstation between every update, so someone literally had to babysit the car through 100 updates.

Applying software updates at the dealership allows dealerships to bill labor for doing so. It seems like the dealerships love it.

There's nothing to promise. I'd rather have Tesla reaching for the stars and crashing back to earth rather than selling me something that is outdated the moment I drive it off the lot. I got that with my LEAF and while I love my LEAF, its a solid downhill race from the moment I picked it up.

I think Tesla needs to do a lot better but your recriminations are misplaced and based on a couple misinterpreted statements and one item Tesla promised and hasn't yet delivered on. AP1 improvements, per Elon, will still happen. It might be that AP1 will read stop signs and lights or that it does it right now but there was no promise it would act on it.

Buy an 85 and a 90 comes out. Buy a P and Ludicrous comes out. Then face lift comes out. Buy facelift and AP2 comes out. Buy AP2 and 100 comes out. Every quarter there's a significant change making everyone's car outdated within a month or two.

When 8.1 comes out there will be as many issues as there are new features. Ornit we out in sleep mode for a month meantime your auto wipers will stop working.

Not so. About two years ago I got a call from the local Tesla service center saying they were reviewing my logs and my 12V battery needed to be replaced. They scheduled a time to send a tech to my office to do it-- I didn't even need to come to the service center. Can you imagine a dealer ever doing that?

Its different. They do it like a big brother is watching, whereas, the BMW experience notified me as the driver that it had sent service information to my dealer of choice and proactively attempted to make the appointment.

Ultimately, I think there is a step in between that would be seem more valuable to me as an owner where it might tell me what to expect before a call gets lobbed in. Its minor in terms of process but to me completes the circle of communication that I personally feel like Tesla could be doing but doesn't. Just my perspective. Everything else is pure excellence,...and frankly in many respects they do things better than most.

That is very true. I should dig out my BMW lemon law paperwork…. At one point they charged 24 hours of labor (which is around $3000) for applying a software update to my car, and of course that gets billed to BMW corporate.

The tech explained to me that there were something like 100 CAN modules that needed to be updated, and it required a reboot of the workstation between every update, so someone literally had to babysit the car through 100 updates.

Applying software updates at the dealership allows dealerships to bill labor for doing so. It seems like the dealerships love it.

This sounds like an exception that other than being without your car, didn't burden you from a cost perspective. I have never been charged for an update required by the mfg. Under warranty its not even a question, and if it was a recall or bulletin, same thing - no charge.

Citing 24hrs of internal labor charges doesn't really give a fair perspective on a customer incurred charge...All car companies including Tesla, do this internal cross charge and some of the structures are at top dollar for revenue reporting. I can't even imagine the internal costs associated with some of the repair work I have had done to my Model S...pulling out the dash for a rattle and removing and rebuilding part of the roof for wind noise...those were several day jobs that would take the wind out of anyone for as an out of pocket expense.

In any event, GM has said it can get OTA updates to fix issues, but I don't believe they've said they'll actually add new features like Tesla does
As a former owner of 2 Volts (early adopter), I can tell you that GM will never send new features to old cars. They may fix bugs, but that is it. As a new Tesla owner, I'm amazed that the company is willing to give new features and improvements to older vehicles. I understand the impatience of you guys waiting on stuff you have paid for, but after all, as experienced Tesla owners it seems most of you knew what you were getting into.

Couldn't have said it better. Sadly, I'm doubting that we're going to get the promised "major" UI improvements, or any other significant feature that people have been asking for. It seems that they're much more interested in working on the Model 3 (which they're also using us to finance) than making any meaningful improvements to the existing vehicles. Also seeing a disappointing trend towards making the S and X more of a consumer vehicle (to go along with the 3) than something truly special (end of unlimited supercharging, limiting options available in design studio, etc.). I've got about half of my lease left, so very interested to see what happens over the next year or so.
It seems to me, if the features paid for are not working as advertised soon, then customers should be offered a prorated credit for the upgrade cost they paid for those options.... especially those that signed a short term lease. In reality space, not tesla space, people are generally not happy paying for something that is not usable.

Reactions: Reeler and oktane
It seems to me, if the features paid for are not working as advertised soon, then customers should be offered a prorated credit for the upgrade cost they paid for those options.... especially those that signed a short term lease. In reality space, not tesla space, people are generally not happy paying for something that is not usable.

so whats not working, or missing from a commitment in writing made prior to a sale? Im all for innovation and pushing Tesla towards greatness, but everything "works". What is not working "as advertised"?

so whats not working, or missing from a commitment in writing made prior to a sale? Im all for innovation and pushing Tesla towards greatness, but everything "works". What is not working "as advertised"?

(1) No AEB. That was promised to be available end of December. And it didn't say "expected" for AEB. See spec sheet.
(2) Autopilot only works at 45mph below and only allowed on highways whose minimum speed limit is 45mph! That is not the function I test drove.
(3) TACC makes emergency stops for no apparent reason. It is not safe to use. It will cause an accident soon - I guarantee it.
(4) No automatic lane changes
(5) No blind spot assist
(6) No rain sensing windshield wipers
(7) No self adjusting head lights

Also, my order form said AEP was "expected" end of December. It didn't say anything about hundreds of millions of miles of testing needed. And it wasn't a realistic expectation at the time that I ordered. They couldn't possibly have expected to be done by December when it's clear it's no where near finished now and won't be for several months at best. Tesla can't hide behind the word "expected" unless they have a reasonable basis for advertising as such.

(1) No AEB. That was promised to be available end of December. And it didn't say "expected" for AEB. See spec sheet.
(2) Autopilot only works at 45mph below and only allowed on highways whose minimum speed limit is 45mph! That is not the function I test drove.
(3) TACC makes emergency stops for no apparent reason. It is not safe to use. It will cause an accident soon - I guarantee it.
(5) No blind spot assist

Also, my order form said AEP was "expected" end of December. It didn't say anything about hundreds of millions of miles of testing needed. And it wasn't a realistic expectation at the time that I ordered. They couldn't possibly have expected to be done by December when it's clear it's no where near finished now and won't be for several months at best. Tesla can't hide behind the word "expected" unless they have a reasonable basis for advertising as such.

EXACTLY!

that damn koolaid must be good stuff.... :p

I am not one to raise a big stink and demand money back, (well not yet anyways), because I feel the functions will work soon. Short term lease buyers in my opinion will have valid arguments to seek recourse if not corrected soon, which would most certainly result in negative press.

(5) No blind spot assist

this is an interesting list. I must be missing something....maybe its AP2 cars?

1 - Im not sure what you are referring to with the AEP acronym.
2 - I have my AP work at speeds lower than 45 - maybe thats AP2?
3 - TACC doing that sounds random - its never done that in my car.
4 - auto lane changes weren't advertised. Using AP and performing a lane change works
5 - there is blind spot assist
6 - there are rain sensing wipers
7 - self adjusting lighting - again not advertised.

This list doesn't make much sense to me....I have a 2014 AP1 car.

There's the disconnect. I was referring to AP2 car. I was referring Ohm's post which I assume was also about AP2.
We (AP2 buyers) have paid in full for many features that were promised "expected December 2016" and they haven't been delivered. It is at this point painfully obvious that "Excepted December" was false and misleading advertisement, in my opinion.
I would be surprised if someone didn't file a class action suit at some point.

fyi :
AEB = Automatic Emergency Braking.

Reactions: disagree
If feature aren't working soon I can assure you I will not be happy with a partial prorated amount returned for EAP and FSD. I bought the car mainly for the convenience of AP and claimed features. I would have been happy with a Bolt if all I wanted was a dumb EV.

I have to say that having OTA is rather important. If the Bolt has to go in for service when they find a bug, which they will, how unpleasant that will be. Having OTA is the ONLY way in the modern era of technology. Look at cell phones. OTA has been there for seemingly forever. Not having OTA for the Bolt is, well just dumb (cheap?) I think.

The Bolt has OTA, which I think they negotiated from LG in response to the Tesla. LG makes all the tech stuff in the car and no one knows the full extent of what can be done OTA. Everything works as advertized and we'll see about bugs. One thing I can say for sure is that I have never had any car needing to be serviced more than my Teslas. In fact, we have had more Tesla service visits than my prior 30 years of car ownership combined.

For my 2016 AP1.0, blind spot detection will never work as the sensors were never good enough. I don't think auto park will ever get reliable enough to recognize spaces to be usable. The auto windshield wipers and high beams work so rarely it is a surprise when they do. The door handles don't pop out consistently along with the auto-unlock.

Take away Tesla's reality distortion zone, and after the Koolaide hangover ends, you will see Tesla is selling snake oil. I still need the AWD in the winter, but the Bolt is my daily ride just like the Woz.

Reactions: oktane
Buy an 85 and a 90 comes out. Buy a P and Ludicrous comes out. Then face lift comes out. Buy facelift and AP2 comes out. Buy AP2 and 100 comes out. Every quarter there's a significant change making everyone's car outdated within a month or two.

When 8.1 comes out there will be as many issues as there are new features. Ornit we out in sleep mode for a month meantime your auto wipers will stop working.

And I'm totally fine with that! I appreciate Tesla always adding new features and improving the features it currently has. Yes, at times it can be frustrating when AP is capped at 45mph but once we all get the full package then I'm a happy camper.