Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.1 by the end of January '17

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
8.1 is a very big release, with an underlying Linux kernel upgrade to boot. I am not the least bit surprised that it is now twice late.

I think that their attention shifted to fighting fires with the AP2 system, trying to get it (literally) up to speed under 8.0. That has probably held back 8.1 for a few weeks.

Reactions: dss33
Been around here since 2011. The communication issues at Tesla are getting very old now. This is no longer a startup. It is also not a dictatorship. It is an answerable public company. There are major plans to go wide spread general appeal with the model E er, 3. Elon's wild predictions are therefore now progressively more unacceptable. Time to mature up, forget the pursuit of.1sec improvements in acceleration, which no one can reasonably use, forget the Easter eggs, and use those resources to produce stable, on time, meaningful software improvements, some of we have been clamouring for for years, such as a decent navigation system, decent media player, and the full promised features of the AP1 system. Time for what features that are there to come out of beta. Don't promise what you can't deliver and don't provide dates you cannot stick to. "Tesla time" is also a very old and terminally sick joke. Enough already.
+1 — As an owner since 2014 (Model S 85 at the time, just bought a new S90D HW2 FSDC on 31 Dec), I could care less about the easter eggs and the .1 improvements—these items are bragging rights for Tesla that bring no real improvement to the owner-base at large (though I'm sure someone would say "but that .1 is amazing!"). Aside from demonstrating outside of Tesla HQ—which might not be a horrible idea—I'm not sure how we get Tesla to refocus as Elon appears to always be chasing whats new versus delivering what is promised.

You drank the cool-aid, bought the car of the future, and now you're unhappy because you are not getting the OTA update you were recently promised on time.
Really! - go for a ride in your model S - and enjoy it.
I drive my car almost every day more or less just for fun. It's been more than a year now and every time I enter the car I feel it's special and I fully enjoy it. The atmosphere, the silence and the competent driving characteristics i.e. low center-of-gravity.
We will get an 8.1 update at some point of time. Exactly when is not that important. Meanwhile we are driving our engineering marvels and should all be happy.
Any news on the 8.1 release ?

You drank the cool-aid, bought the car of the future, and now you're unhappy because you are not getting the OTA update you were recently promised on time.
Really! - go for a ride in your model S - and enjoy it.
Without speaking for others, your response does not indicate understanding of the point. No one is saying the car is not "the car of the future", no one is saying that the car is not fun to drive/ride in, and no one is saying that the kool-aid isnt amazing—all of these things are true. What is being said is that as the company matures, we also need a maturation in communication and stability in meaningful features/functions rather than .1 speed improvements or easter eggs. Do not read anything else into it

Why should 8.1 be any different than any of the other releases?

It will come - when it comes.

Some people will like the new features - and some won't, and hopefully everyone will feel there is a net improvement in the release (if if some areas are worse).

There will be some areas where they missed the mark, and will have to fix - along with some obvious bugs that were missed by the beta testers.

And the release is likely to trickle out to a seemingly random group of cars, suspending and resuming the release process several times to fix problems before all cars receive the update.

I've had my S P85 for 4 years - and that's what we've seen with every major release.

Could Tesla do better - yes!

But even with the flaws, the software does continue to get better - something other cars don't get.

And despite occasional frustrations with the software, that wasn't enough to prevent us from ordering a new S 100D or from reserving a Model 3...

Even the Bolt, as new as it is, won't ever get better with OTA updates.

The Bolt has certain things that can be updated OTA, probably not to the extent of Tesla. It doesn't need the updates because all advertised features actually work from day 1.

Tesla has a reality distortion zone where we buy a car with the promise of advertised features working at some undefined time in the future. And when they cannot get it to work or stop trying, they remove any evidence of the original promise. Blind spot detection, rear seat HVAC control with app, stop sign/light detection, screen mirroring, etc.

Buy a Tesla on what it can do on day 1 and then be pleasantly surprised when they add a feature you didn't expect with your lowered expectations.

Considering Tesla's stock is up 2 Billion over the last week, hopefully Elon can do whatever it takes to get 8.1 out within the next 2 weeks. Whether that's hiring more help, paying substantial overtime or attractive bonus to all the AP guys/gals at Tesla. Hopefully they have a whatever it takes mentality to get 8.1 out! I guess only time will tell.

The Bolt has certain things that can be updated OTA, probably not to the extent of Tesla. It doesn't need the updates because all advertised features actually work from day 1.

Tesla has a reality distortion zone where we buy a car with the promise of advertised features working at some undefined time in the future. And when they cannot get it to work or stop trying, they remove any evidence of the original promise. Blind spot detection, rear seat HVAC control with app, stop sign/light detection, screen mirroring, etc.

Buy a Tesla on what it can do on day 1 and then be pleasantly surprised when they add a feature you didn't expect with your lowered expectations.

I haven't driven a Bolt (don't live in the one or two states it's sold in) so I can't speak to the "all advertised features actually work from day 1" but have you? From the reviews I've read, it sounds like a solid car provided you don't regularly go on road trips (charging isn't nearly as fast or convenient as it is with Superchargers). In any event, GM has said it can get OTA updates to fix issues, but I don't believe they've said they'll actually add new features like Tesla does. I'm not trying to diss the Bolt. A rising EV tide floats all electric boats. Just trying to provide perspective to folks who are impatiently waiting for 8.1.

Reactions: Jashev
I feel AP1/HW1 will get 2-3 new updates this year and then be overtaken by AP2/HW2. Perhaps stop signs reading is one, ramp off/on and better lane moving, probably some slightly better reactions and little increases in capability, but it will improve but perhaps not in too dramatic a way.

Or the last update it gets is a real doozy to sign off AP1/HW1 in style leaving it a very capable system for 1-2 years afterwards.

Hunches of course.

I haven't driven a Bolt (don't live in the one or two states it's sold in) so I can't speak to the "all advertised features actually work from day 1" but have you? From the reviews I've read, it sounds like a solid car provided you don't regularly go on road trips (charging isn't nearly as fast or convenient as it is with Superchargers). In any event, GM has said it can get OTA updates to fix issues, but I don't believe they've said they'll actually add new features like Tesla does. I'm not trying to diss the Bolt. A rising EV tide floats all electric boats. Just trying to provide perspective to folks who are impatiently waiting for 8.1.

Yes, as my signature notes I have a Bolt and another on order, both of which are for import to Colorado. Like all other car manufacturers (except Tesla), Chevy clearly states their features and debugs them prior to sale. Production Bolts were shown to the press 6 months before the first customer delivery so that the features could be ready Day 1.

The Tesla model reeks of silicon snake oil. Promise features to sell cars, then leave some of those features in permanent beta or change your mind on others and don't deliver them at all. No one knows when they buy a Tesla what the feature set will settle out to be. Might be better in some respects and worse in others. If you don't like what you end up with, but a new Tesla. I feel sorry for those AP2 buyers in October who will get a car that will not work as advertised for a year, which would suck on a two year lease.

From first hand experience, all the Bolt features work nicely from Day 1. Perhaps not such an ambitious use of their sensor suite, but at least you have some predictability in what you are getting. I will note that the fully loaded Bolt Premiere has a very similar sensor suite as the Tesla, but they don't overpromise on the software features that it enables.

Last edited:

Based on what I have read only Android Auto and Carplay can be updated OTA, so just entertainment.

I will note that the fully loaded Bolt Premiere has a very similar sensor suite as the Tesla, but they don't overpromise on the software features that it enables.

There's nothing to promise. I'd rather have Tesla reaching for the stars and crashing back to earth rather than selling me something that is outdated the moment I drive it off the lot. I got that with my LEAF and while I love my LEAF, its a solid downhill race from the moment I picked it up.

I think Tesla needs to do a lot better but your recriminations are misplaced and based on a couple misinterpreted statements and one item Tesla promised and hasn't yet delivered on. AP1 improvements, per Elon, will still happen. It might be that AP1 will read stop signs and lights or that it does it right now but there was no promise it would act on it.

Based on what I have read only Android Auto and Carplay can be updated OTA, so just entertainment.

Don't forget, updates represent a revenue stream to the DEALERS. There is significant DIS-incentive for GM to provide OTA updates using traditional dealers to deliver vehicles. If there is no service work, why would any dealer even WANT to sell a Bolt?

Last edited:
Don't forget, updates represent a revenue stream to the DEALERS. There is significant DIS-incentive for GM to provide OTA updates using traditional dealers to deliver vehicles. If there is no service work, why would any dealer even WANT to sell a Bolt?

it certainly appears as a value add for us as Tesla owners; however the OTA 'cost' is incorporated into our car costs - its not free. My guess is that the big three eventually operate under that model with pressures like Telsa but also a value advantage as they opt in their premium brands to compete as a car company easy to do business with. I think it might even further promote service intervals etc.

Other brands already call home when service becomes necessary - my BMW would call the dealership if any of the specs showed a fault....Tesla doesn't do that which seems like a value add missed opportunity in addition to OTA.

I have to say that having OTA is rather important. If the Bolt has to go in for service when they find a bug, which they will, how unpleasant that will be. Having OTA is the ONLY way in the modern era of technology. Look at cell phones. OTA has been there for seemingly forever. Not having OTA for the Bolt is, well just dumb (cheap?) I think.

it certainly appears as a value add for us as Tesla owners; however the OTA 'cost' is incorporated into our car costs - its not free. My guess is that the big three eventually operate under that model with pressures like Telsa but also a value advantage as they opt in their premium brands to compete as a car company easy to do business with. I think it might even further promote service intervals etc.

Other brands already call home when service becomes necessary - my BMW would call the dealership if any of the specs showed a fault....Tesla doesn't do that which seems like a value add missed opportunity in addition to OTA.

AFAIK Teslas do phone home and that does occasionally lead to proactive calls to bring their cars in. I know a lot of coworkers who got a call out of the blue from Tesla to replace their 12V batteries.

On the other hand, I've had to bring in both my Audi and BMW to lengthy service appointments to do software recalls on the transmission, emissions controls, and most recently the exterior lighting. Delivering these kinds of updates OTA saves a lot of time, both for the dealership and for the customer.

Not so. About two years ago I got a call from the local Tesla service center saying they were reviewing my logs and my 12V battery needed to be replaced. They scheduled a time to send a tech to my office to do it-- I didn't even need to come to the service center. Can you imagine a dealer ever doing that?