Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.1 by the end of January '17

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Considering Tesla's stock is up 2 Billion over the last week, hopefully Elon can do whatever it takes to get 8.1 out within the next 2 weeks. Whether that's hiring more help, paying substantial overtime or attractive bonus to all the AP guys/gals at Tesla. Hopefully they have a whatever it takes mentality to get 8.1 out! I guess only time will tell.
The time a software project takes to complete is inversely proportionate to the number of programmers :)

You guys probably saw this already, but at the end of Musk's Tweetstorm this weekend, he said new mobile app is coming in about two weeks while the new kernel and other updates for HW1 is coming in about a month. There's a clear focus on HW2 software, hence the delay.

Elon Musk on Twitter
He's also said new app end of December along with 8.1, for what it's worth. The only time he's accurate is when he says "today" or "tonight", or maybe "this weekend".

FSDC features in 3 months and max 6 - Most likely just going to be some EAP features for that such as passing vehicle automatically while AP is engaged and that's being optimistic. Hopefully not just auto lane change.

Reactions: Mattzilla
I think hive communication between cars will be needed before FSD, or dedicated roads or lanes for AP cars. Maybe EM's tunnels will only allow AP cars.
Yep, as I have stated elsewhere, dedicated lanes/roads will be needed IMO. Amazon recently filed a patent related to that, suggesting they too think the attempts to do a generalized FSD will either fail or are a long way off.

Driving in LA traffic will quickly get you to imagine such a utopia.
Or around and in London, 15 or so years of that before coming to the US - and it looks worse every time I visit!

Reactions: Reeler
You guys probably saw this already, but at the end of Musk's Tweetstorm this weekend, he said new mobile app is coming in about two weeks while the new kernel and other updates for HW1 is coming in about a month. There's a clear focus on HW2 software, hence the delay.

Elon Musk on Twitter
Thanks for sharing. It doesn't say it's 8.1 either. Just the kernal update that fixes the browser. The 8.1 update is supposed to have a bunch of promised features.

Genuinely curious - what is your car missing (that this update will improve) makes the delay so disappointing?

UI improvements, like the lacking usability of spotify.
No waypoints in navigation.
Bugs in navigation.
AP truck lust.
Useless browser.
Overall lack of snappiness of the UI.

the whole car feels like an iPad 1.0 from 2013... It basically is kinda...

Imagine if you received your AP2.0 Tesla in October with a 2 year lease and paid for the L5 autonomy. You only have 3/4 of your lease left without the features you were promised. That kinda sucks.
A two year lease still means you only paid for ~40% of the option cost, while adding it on after the fact is actually at full retail cost with no renegotiation of the residual (I asked)....

So yes. It is a gamble and pre buying the package in either case is the conservative insurance play.

Imagine if you received your AP2.0 Tesla in October with a 2 year lease and paid for the L5 autonomy. You only have 3/4 of your lease left without the features you were promised. That kinda sucks.
People that leased AP1 cars in October 2014 didn't get their paid features (except TACC) until a year later and still it is not complete. There should be some sort of financial reconciliation.

UI improvements, like the lacking usability of spotify.
No waypoints in navigation.
Bugs in navigation.
AP truck lust.
Useless browser.
Overall lack of snappiness of the UI.

the whole car feels like an iPad 1.0 from 2013... It basically is kinda...

Like an iPad from 2013? I think you're being a bit dramatic. I'm not sure how the experience differs between the US and Europe, but what I do know is that it's the most advanced (and most frequently updated) car OS on the planet. Is it perfect? No way. But it's highly usable and at least for me, meets or exceeds expectations in almost every scenario.

Last edited:
Like an iPad from 2013? I think you're being a bit dramatic. I'm not sure how the experience differs between the US and Europe, but what I do know is that it's the most advanced (and most frequently updated) car OS on the planet. Is it perfect? No way. But it's highly usable and at least for me, meets or exceeds expectations in almost every scenario.

Most new cars are supporting screen mirroring with up-to-date apps from your iOS/Android phone. The Tesla nav was best in class when released, but is dated compared to these phone mirroring head units today.

Most new cars are supporting screen mirroring with up-to-date apps from your iOS/Android phone. The Tesla nav was best in class when released, but is dated compared to these phone mirroring head units today.

I hear you, but I think they're too limited for this to hold water. They can't control the car which I think is where Tesla's OS really shines. While nav isn't perfect, I'd say it's excellent 90 - 95% of the time. And expanding on your point, their homebaked nav is far better than any other non-CarPlay/Android Auto nav I've seen. So I think in some ways, that's an apples to oranges comparison. All that said, I do agree that the software and OS are a great place for even more improvement and as cars are able to fully drive themselves, they're going to have to seriously amp up information and entertainment services.

I hear you, but I think they're too limited for this to hold water. They can't control the car which I think is where Tesla's OS really shines. While nav isn't perfect, I'd say it's excellent 90 - 95% of the time. And expanding on your point, their homebaked nav is far better than any other non-CarPlay/Android Auto nav I've seen. So I think in some ways, that's an apples to oranges comparison. All that said, I do agree that the software and OS are a great place for even more improvement and as cars are able to fully drive themselves, they're going to have to seriously amp up information and entertainment services.
I guess it depends on where you live. For me, not only is Nav antiquated in terms of basic features but it gets lost about 70-80% of the time. I was told by a Tesla friend, it's the most complained about issue followed by Media Player.