Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Befuddled with Homelink 17.11.3

I'm (fortunately for me), one of the MS owners that set both of my garage doors with Homelink one time when it first became available in Fall 2015, and have not touched the settings or had a problem since ...until 17.11.3. It's one of the new features since taking delivery that I've enjoyed most for "just working" as it should -- at least for me. ;)

Now, perhaps half the time, when I back out of my garage, the door will not automatically trigger to close. The other times, it works fine as it always has. I see no correlation to one or the other. I can open the door via my wall switch before getting into my MS, or inside via the CID either before or after putting the MS into reverse, just as I always have. ...but then when Homelink is going to fail, there is no indication in the dropdown for the garage door that it's going to close or it's been bypassed. I can just close the garage door manually inside my MS out in the street where it normally would do it by itself. When I return home, the door opens 100% of the time from exactly the same position in the street as it always has. It's just weird, as absolutely nothing has changed in more than a year, except 17.11.3 is now in place.

My MS shows it's location on the Nav display properly, including pointing in the right direction all the time, so that isn't a possible correlation to the occasional failure. The only other thing that has happened is my $%(* new next door neighbor has parked a very old ugly metal trailer (domed on the front and top, with peeling paint -- sighhhh), next to my picket fence which is no more than 10' from my garage door at it's closest point -- but the trailer appeared before 17.11.3, and I was not having any odd Homelink issues before the update. Unless someone has a great idea, I'll likely do nothing until the next "real" big code drop of 8.1, then if I'm still having problems, I'll delete the garage doors from Homelink and add them back as some others have had success with. If that fails, it goes onto my next SvC problem report. :(

Odd, huh?

• Helpful
Reactions: skialpine
Now, perhaps half the time, when I back out of my garage, the door will not automatically trigger to close.

Just an idea, but one of the things I've seen changing in recent updates is the timing of the handoff from WiFi to 3G as the car leaves WiFi range. One way to test whether this could be causing your problem would be to make sure your car does not have a WiFi connection, so there's no transition to negotiate.

Neither Homelink nor GPS depend on Wifi or 3G, so I doubt that would be related.

Homelink frequencies (288 or 433 MHz) aren't anywhere near Wifi or 3G/LTE, so I doubt there would be any interference either.

I agree. The only thing I've seen that reliably causes interference is 1st gen LED light bulbs. Sounds crazy, but it's true -- heard about it from a friend, and then my parents started having garage door opener issues. I asked if they recently replaced the light bulb with LED ones, and sure enough they did. Switched to a higher-end LED bulb, problem went away.

• Informative
Reactions: Chaz and Cyclone
I agree. The only thing I've seen that reliably causes interference is 1st gen LED light bulbs. Sounds crazy, but it's true -- heard about it from a friend, and then my parents started having garage door opener issues. I asked if they recently replaced the light bulb with LED ones, and sure enough they did. Switched to a higher-end LED bulb, problem went away.
Wouldn't the LED light need to be on to cause interference?

Are you certain that what the car does for Homelink involves no communication with the mothership?

Yeah, why would it need that?

It's just a regular homelink garage door opener (transmitter) embedded into the car. Imagine if you live in a non- or weak-cellular area -- you wouldn't be able to open the garage at your own house. It would be ridiculously idiotic for Tesla to need to call the mothership just to open your own garage door.

*edit: That doesn't mean Tesla can't/doesn't log the activity and send that to the mothership, but that would purely be after-the-fact, not a requirement.

Yeah, why would it need that?

It's just a regular homelink garage door opener (transmitter) embedded into the car. Imagine if you live in a non- or weak-cellular area -- you wouldn't be able to open the garage at your own house. It would be ridiculously idiotic for Tesla to need to call the mothership just to open your own garage door.
True however there is a GPS location component to Homelink and Tesla does keep track of the cars location so indirectly there is communication between them.

True however there is a GPS location component to Homelink and Tesla does keep track of the cars location so indirectly there is communication between them.

Right, but not even GPS needs wifi or 3G to communicate with the mothership. Like I said, the car can do GPS and homelink without the need to be connected. IOW, yes, homelink needs the GPS location to automatically open the garage, and the car knows what GPS location is stored for the garage, but none of that needs an internet connection to work.

Appreciate the discussion. Thx.

My MS does switch from WiFi to Cell somewhere towards the end of my driveway, but I too don't see that as a real consideration with Homelink sometimes failing. Nothing I'm my WiFi network changed around the same time as I received 8.1.

If Tesla is logging or has changed something under the covers that is impacting Homelink and/or related GPS it is dependent on with 8.1, I consider that a bug, since it's not something I have control over and it made Homelink less reliable from 8.0 to 8.1.

I also don't have any aftermarket LEDs that would be on when I'm moving, so that idea is out ...but GREAT thought!

More ideas? :)

Right, but not even GPS needs wifi or 3G to communicate with the mothership. Like I said, the car can do GPS and homelink without the need to be connected. IOW, yes, homelink needs the GPS location to automatically open the garage, and the car knows what GPS location is stored for the garage, but none of that needs an internet connection to work.

My car spend the latter end of March like this with Firmware 8.0. Homelink worked just fine, opening/closing as I approached/left home even without any wifi or cellular connectivity.
IMG_5569.JPG

Reactions: HankLloydRight
The only other thing that has happened is my $%(* new next door neighbor has parked a very old ugly metal trailer (domed on the front and top, with peeling paint -- sighhhh), next to my picket fence which is no more than 10' from my garage door at it's closest point -- but the trailer appeared before 17.11.3, and I was not having any odd Homelink issues before the update.

Don't discount this. When a specific vehicle is in a specific location near my garage, I sometimes get "misfires" where even when I see Homelink trigger and have the "waves", my garage door doesn't respond. Part of it seems tied to my speed -- ironically, if I go too slow it will get the misfire.

• Helpful
Reactions: BertL
Appreciate the discussion. Thx.

More ideas? :)

Have you tried your regular garage door opener to make sure there's no problem with the receiver unit?

I thought I had a problem with homelink, but then found even the regular remote control would only work sometimes, and sometimes only with several pushes or not at all.

Now I'm using another garage bay with a different opener, and it's working perfectly.

Has anyone with an AP1 version vehicle noticed any intentional changes with the 8.1 update? The new "My Favorites" streaming audio station doesn't appear anywhere (based on my release notes), and voice navigation for my "favorited" locations doesn't seem to work either. Just curious.