Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why do they push updates to only a few cars at a time? Wait and see if there is a massive takeover by AI? Only one DSL line at Tesla HQ?

They're afraid of bugs. It's better to push to smaller groups of technically similar cars and watch to see if anything major breaks. Once they're reasonably assured that they've not created a big mess, they move onto the next set.

Reactions: Ulmo
It's too bad AEB isn't enabled yet. This is a great safety feature especially on the Los Angeles freeways; also active side collision avoidance would prove a big improvement. I drive from central CA to LA weekly and almost every trip a semi truck tries to occupy my space.

I guess it's coming and I need more patience :mad:.

.... also active side collision avoidance would prove a big improvement. I drive from central CA to LA weekly and almost every trip a semi truck tries to occupy my space....
I truly honestly hate to say this, but actually you are better off without it, compared to my experience with it on a HW1 car. Hopefully they improve it and make it more consistent on HW1 cars.. I'm assuming it will be phenomenal once released on the HW2 cars. I've had multiple occasions where it did absolutely nothing for me when a car or semi tried to side-swipe me on the freeway with AP engaged. A couple times I was so confident in this feature, that I didn't react at first, and then had to panic react. Now I don't take any chances. The thing is that each of those times, there was a minimal speed differential between me and the parallel vehicle; meaning it had ample time to detect and react. :oops:

It's too bad AEB isn't enabled yet. This is a great safety feature especially on the Los Angeles freeways; also active side collision avoidance would prove a big improvement. I drive from central CA to LA weekly and almost every trip a semi truck tries to occupy my space.

I guess it's coming and I need more patience :mad:.

I didn't know they hadn't implemented that....that's a big deal to me as well. If you leave TACC on though it helps diminish risk. Tesla needs to get hopping on AEB for the people that don't have EAP.

I truly honestly hate to say this, but actually you are better off without it, compared to my experience with it on a HW1 car. Hopefully they improve it and make it more consistent on HW1 cars.. I'm assuming it will be phenomenal once released on the HW2 cars. I've had multiple occasions where it did absolutely nothing for me when a car or semi tried to side-swipe me on the freeway with AP engaged. A couple times I was so confident in this feature, that I didn't react at first, and then had to panic react. Now I don't take any chances. The thing is that each of those times, there was a minimal speed differential between me and the parallel vehicle; meaning it had ample time to detect and react. :oops:

Tesla should start working on using the other cameras to avoid this exact shortcoming in HW1. Clearly they are working hard at improving HW2 but I also think there is a lot of low hanging fruit. Summon is a big feather though (if it works) and so is highway AS (and it sounds like general improvements to AS). We're still looking like 4 weeks until true feature parity with AP1. Hopefully they start delivering new EAP and maybe some FSD features at the end of Q2.

Reactions: JohnnyG
Another Easter egg... tap the "T" three times.

unnamed-1.jpg

Nice find @andrewket

It looks like the 8.1 that we were anticipating (from late 2016) has been repurposed to be a release that focuses on AP2 Parity.

I'd say getting Autosteer up to 80mph, auto lane change, and summon are great (as I have 2 X90Ds w/HW2 which should be done with their wrap by next week).

However it is disappointing that the new 8.1 features we were supposed to see late 2016 have been MIA and no idea when these will arrive.

I have a feeling, (contrary to popular belief) that AP2 EAP will be completed by August, and FSD features will start rolling out (even if its just showing stop signs or something very menial). This would be in line with Elon's timeline of FSD benefits starting in "3-6 months".

Also, hopefully we'll get incremental updates to bring AP2 EAP to parity (like the Auto Highbeams etc), slowly. Though I personally think the 80MPH Autosteer and Summon were most important to me (as I have a tight garage with 2 X90Ds)

Nice find @andrewket

It looks like the 8.1 that we were anticipating (from late 2016) has been repurposed to be a release that focuses on AP2 Parity.

I'd say getting Autosteer up to 80mph, auto lane change, and summon are great (as I have 2 X90Ds w/HW2 which should be done with their wrap by next week).

However it is disappointing that the new 8.1 features we were supposed to see late 2016 have been MIA and no idea when these will arrive.

I have a feeling, (contrary to popular belief) that AP2 EAP will be completed by August, and FSD features will start rolling out (even if its just showing stop signs or something very menial). This would be in line with Elon's timeline of FSD benefits starting in "3-6 months".

Also, hopefully we'll get incremental updates to bring AP2 EAP to parity (like the Auto Highbeams etc), slowly. Though I personally think the 80MPH Autosteer and Summon were most important to me (as I have a tight garage with 2 X90Ds)

Unfortunately, thus far summon on hw2 is not working as well for me as hw1. On hw1, my cars will open the garage and back out onto the driveway. Driving into the garage has never worked consistently, as I have a small lip between the driveway and the garage floor that requires just a bit more torque to climb over than the software will allow. On hw2, the car begins to back out, the garage opens, and the car just sits there. I've tried with the fob and the app, and continuous key press on and off without success.

• Informative
Reactions: croman
Unfortunately, thus far summon on hw2 is not working as well for me as hw1. On hw1, my cars will open the garage and back out onto the driveway. Driving into the garage has never worked consistently, as I have a small lip between the driveway and the garage floor that requires just a bit more torque to climb over than the software will allow. On hw2, the car begins to back out, the garage opens, and the car just sits there. I've tried with the fob and the app, and continuous key press on and off without success.

hmm, interesting.

Hope to test this once wrap is complete.

Maybe it's still "calibrating"? :)