Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 9 in August will start rolling out full self-driving features!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whilst sign reading has always been a part of AP1, was there ever actually any documented promise of feature parity with AP1 on AP2+ ? Is sign reading documented anywhere, as I do not recall seeing it written anywhere in the manual or the website advertising?

The manual of my AP2.0 car states (translated from french, sorry if not perfect):

"When the Speed Limit Helper can't figure what the speed limit is (road signs or GPS data unavailable at current position, for example), or when it can't be sure about the detected speed limit (in case there are no road signs for a while, for example), the dashboard may not display any speed limit information, and warnings are therefore not active."

Are these maps just used for offline nav and rendering of tiles without networking connectivity? I presume ADAS tiles and such are still in the cloud?

Yes, it's just the Valhalla navigation maps. The rest of the still is still in the cloud and cached as badly as ever. As for @MelaniainLA question, it's probably just road tweaks and such. It's not a diff of the last maps, it's an entire re-download for whatever reason, and probably very little value trying to figure out what they tweaked, people will find out soon enough I guess when they say oooh, this street was never listed before but here it is now!! LOL!.

• Informative
Reactions: MelaniainLA
Whilst sign reading has always been a part of AP1, was there ever actually any documented promise of feature parity with AP1 on AP2+ ? Is sign reading documented anywhere, as I do not recall seeing it written anywhere in the manual or the website advertising?

I have no idea how they deliver FSD without sign reading, it's just not possible.

Sign reading will come, traffic light reading also, slowly coming into place before V10 alpha which will have to be there for the cross-country ride.

On another note. Any significant advantage to have the tesla on wifi instead of premium LTE connectivity?

Musk says that the coast to coast FSD demo could "probably" happen in V10.

So according to Musk's latest estimate, it looks like Tesla is aiming to roll out true FSD in V10.

So here is how I see Tesla's roadmap for EAP so far:
V8: basic safety and getting AP2 up to parity with AP1
V9: rolling out EAP features like on-off exit ramp and preparing the ground work for FSD.
V10: rolling out FSD

So according to Musk's latest estimate, it looks like Tesla is aiming to roll out true FSD in V10.

adding some dates to your info

available now - V8: basic safety and getting AP2 up to parity with AP1
available ~nov'2018 - V9: rolling out EAP features like on-off exit ramp and preparing the ground work for FSD.
available dec'2019-mar'2020 - alpha V10: rolling out FSD to select few
available 2020 - V10: rolling out FSD to all

Reactions: diplomat33

V8: basic safety and getting AP2 up to parity with AP1
V9: rolling out EAP features like on-off exit ramp and preparing the ground work for FSD.
V10: rolling out FSD

With all of the lost in the details of Elon's "definitely" statements, I will sure take "PROBABLY" with a truckload of salt.

With all of the lost in the details of Elon's "definitely" statements, I will sure take "PROBABLY" with a truckload of salt.

If anything, Musk is making progress in his predictions. "probably" is progress. It's better to say "probably" than to promise a coast to coast FSD demo "definitely" by V10 and then maybe miss that deadline again.

• Funny
Reactions: boonedocks

I'm not even sure all the Salt flats in the world have enough salt to take this one with.

Let's take this by facts, so highway driving is suppose to be the "easy" one, that's 2 years late and counting and to many dollars short to count. Now, to think we're going to do the far far more complex and all it's edge cases in less then 2 years is crazy talk.

Remember v8 -v9 is 2 years+ now, and we're all going to need new hardware by 2020, but wait, by 2020 there's going to more then likely be some form of model S/X refresh or hardware upgrade probably adding additional sensors, who wants to take the over under bet that Tesla calls out it can't be done on a 2.0 car and it wouldn't meet regulatory requirements and you need to now by a 3.5x car?

I'm not even sure all the Salt flats in the world have enough salt to take this one with.

Let's take this by facts, so highway driving is suppose to be the "easy" one, that's 2 years late and counting and to many dollars short to count. Now, to think we're going to do the far far more complex and all it's edge cases in less then 2 years is crazy talk.

Remember v8 -v9 is 2 years+ now, and we're all going to need new hardware by 2020, but wait, by 2020 there's going to more then likely be some form of model S/X refresh or hardware upgrade probably adding additional sensors, who wants to take the over under bet that Tesla calls out it can't be done on a 2.0 car and it wouldn't meet regulatory requirements and you need to now by a 3.5x car?

There wasn't a "rate this" option that met how I felt about this post. The reality is factually I agree 100%, emotionally it makes me MadAsHell that it is probably 100% true. Thumbs up and frowning devils head that my S100D will have had pre-paid FSD and probably 300,000+ miles and STILL won't have had FSD enabled.

Reactions: rnortman

If that prediction comes true and they say “upgrade to an AP3.5 (or AP4) car to get FSD,” Tesla will be in a poop-storm of hell, not only from existing owners who purchase FSD with AP2/2.5, but also from those who purchased their cars to begin with because of the PROMISE that they could eventually upgrade to FSD without buying an entirely new car. I’m never a fan of class actions as the lawyers are typically the only ones who win, but in this case, such a suit would be a slam dunk because they made fraudulent comments.

That said, I doubt it will happen this way. What I predict is that AP2/2.5 cars will ultimately have “FSD-light” where a driver is still needed in the driver’s seat, ready to take over in 1-5% of situations, such as roundabouts, in construction zones, places where there’s a road closure or a nonfunctional street light (and you have to interpret hand signals from a cop in the middle of the intersection), school drop offs, etc etc. They can still call it FSD and technically fulfill their legal obligations. Then AP3, 3.5, 4, or 4.5 or whatever, with more sensors and faster processors will be able to handle true FSD.

What I wonder now is what will happen to owners who leased their cars with AP2 in 2016, purchased FSD, and had to return the leased car BEFORE any FSD features had become available. Due for a refund, I would gather?

Reactions: diplomat33
If that prediction comes true and they say “upgrade to an AP3.5 (or AP4) car to get FSD,” Tesla will be in a poop-storm of hell, not only from existing owners who purchase FSD with AP2/2.5, but also from those who purchased their cars to begin with because of the PROMISE that they could eventually upgrade to FSD without buying an entirely new car. I’m never a fan of class actions as the lawyers are typically the only ones who win, but in this case, such a suit would be a slam dunk because they made fraudulent comments.

That said, I doubt it will happen this way. What I predict is that AP2/2.5 cars will ultimately have “FSD-light” where a driver is still needed in the driver’s seat, ready to take over in 1-5% of situations, such as roundabouts, in construction zones, places where there’s a road closure or a nonfunctional street light (and you have to interpret hand signals from a cop in the middle of the intersection), school drop offs, etc etc. They can still call it FSD and technically fulfill their legal obligations. Then AP3, 3.5, 4, or 4.5 or whatever, with more sensors and faster processors will be able to handle true FSD.

What I wonder now is what will happen to owners who leased their cars with AP2 in 2016, purchased FSD, and had to return the leased car BEFORE any FSD features had become available. Due for a refund, I would gather?

That will certainly not happen. Full self driving is full self driving, not half self driving. :)
Elon already promised HW 3.0 upgrade for FSD customers.

WloSpxL.png