Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 9 in August will start rolling out full self-driving features!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View attachment 335822 I have a late 2017 X with both EAP and FSD purchased and am on 2018.34.1.

I have an OBDII WiFi hotspot for this car because I live in an apartment without WiFi access in the garage. Over the last 24 hours, my hotspot (not connected to anything else!) has downloaded nearly 6GB of data! Already on the newest maps and navigation. Not a member of the early access firmware program as far as I know. And the car is NOT set to upload short videos etc to save data.

Any thoughts what this can be? Could it be Firmware 9? I can’t imagine it being anything else for a 6GB download!

that seems like the cost can get out of hand quickly! lets all hope its some early version or prep for v9.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
that seems like the cost can get out of hand quickly! lets all hope its some early version or prep for v9.

The beauty of the AT&T 1GB data plan for cars (OBD II hotspot) is that you get 1GB of LTE-speed data, followed by unlimited data at 2G speed, all for $10 a month, no cell service required in addition. However, AT&T is really slow to notice when you have used up the 1GB, so I frequently get 8-10GB before they throttle to 2G speeds. Regardless, at 2G speeds, 1GB download takes a little less than a day (20 hours) so it's not bad. I'm not streaming video, after all!

Mine is downloading this amount of content right now. My guess would be update to the new maps.
But I have the new maps and nav already, so I can't imagine what else it would be --- perhaps yet another high-resolution maps update to enable to first set of self-driving features? Or a pre-download of Firmware 9 that is not set to install until a specified trigger is pulled by Tesla?

But I have the new maps and nav already, so I can't imagine what else it would be --- perhaps yet another high-resolution maps update to enable to first set of self-driving features? Or a pre-download of Firmware 9 that is not set to install until a specified trigger is pulled by Tesla?
They could be updating offline maps more frequently now that they’re not dependent on Garmin.

My car did the same 5-6GB download today.

• Informative
Reactions: MelaniainLA
The beauty of the AT&T 1GB data plan for cars (OBD II hotspot) is that you get 1GB of LTE-speed data, followed by unlimited data at 2G speed, all for $10 a month, no cell service required in addition. However, AT&T is really slow to notice when you have used up the 1GB, so I frequently get 8-10GB before they throttle to 2G speeds. Regardless, at 2G speeds, 1GB download takes a little less than a day (20 hours) so it's not bad. I'm not streaming video, after all!

Can’t wait for starlink!

Reactions: MelaniainLA
I have an MS 2017 100D, May build, currently on 2018.34.1 with updated NAV and Maps. In the last 4 hours my S has downloaded nearly 5GB also.

Capture.PNG

I got a notification that a new update is available for my 2014 model S, is it version 9 or a small update?
My car will be in the shop another two weeks so I can’t install it to find out!!!

Thanks guys

I doubt that a 2014 car will be getting V9 since it is mostly for AP2. Although, it is possible that your car will get a slimmed down version of V9 that just gives you the UI changes.