Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 9 in August will start rolling out full self-driving features!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View attachment 335822 I have a late 2017 X with both EAP and FSD purchased and am on 2018.34.1.

I have an OBDII WiFi hotspot for this car because I live in an apartment without WiFi access in the garage. Over the last 24 hours, my hotspot (not connected to anything else!) has downloaded nearly 6GB of data! Already on the newest maps and navigation. Not a member of the early access firmware program as far as I know. And the car is NOT set to upload short videos etc to save data.

Any thoughts what this can be? Could it be Firmware 9? I can’t imagine it being anything else for a 6GB download!

It's new maps, they are 5.1 GB

Any thoughts what this can be? Could it be Firmware 9? I can’t imagine it being anything else for a 6GB download!
Fear not, there is no way version 9.0 would roll out to any random person as the first release of the new version. There will be a MASSIVE fanfare and tweet storm first, and the roll out will be to closed beta testers only. Even they don't have it yet so none of us will be waking up to find we're the first with the magic duke nukem forever release.

F60C1D40-EA72-490D-8AA5-2A1B190EC055.jpeg
When you are in navigation mode, you should see 'Tesla Beta Navigation' on the bottom right of the MCU. It should look like the link below.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/attachments/97c2029e-7d50-4559-8315-2ec70fff559e-jpeg.294119/

Looks like I don’t have them. Interesting. I’m connected to Wi-Fi at home and have .36 firmware.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
No actually it really did just happen:

Elon Musk on Twitter

No doubt the tweet happened. But there is no such feature, and there is no V9, delivered. Not saying it won't happen. I guess just saying don't hold your breath. And not sure what value such predictive yet unknown outcome posts bring? Especially with the track record for that. Maybe someone can explain. One year ago Elon Musk on Twitter

FYI, Elon just confirmed via tweet that V9 WILL include dash cam feature -- in testing now. Unknown whether that'll be in 9.0 or 9.1 or later releases...

Confirmed initial v9. Also, “Going through final testing now.” Now, whether that means really final testing or what they meant by their claim of just pending validation way back in 2016...

• Funny
Reactions: MelaniainLA
My understanding is no, it isn't possible in AP1 cars. The main video stream does not leave the MobileEye unit so it cannot be captured. Apparently there is some way to shift out individual pictures at a slow rate, but I don't think that would suffice for a dash cam.

Didn’t @wk057 find that AP1 already saves some video as a kind of dash cam?

• Informative
Reactions: MelaniainLA
Ok guys. Navigation must be active (route planned) to see "Tesla navigation". Afaik there's no version ID for it anywhere.
There's also no "neutral net database", the network is trained using a massive database and massive computing power, resulting in algorithms which are fairly small. Only the algorithms are being used by the car. So you don't need a 5GB update to get a newly trained neural net, and a "normal" firmware update is around 500-550 MB.
5GB is extremely likely offline navigation data, maybe including embedded speed data, but not ADAS.
OR maybe it's so big because they are playing with partitions on the MCU to free up space, but that wouldn't necessarily require a big file.

V9, as can easily be established by checking Elons tweets, will come to the early access program by mid- to end of September (probably early October). As the bush drums are still silent, it's safe to assume it's still not with the early access program, so it's safe to say it will still take more than two weeks (to go wide).

Personally I think it will be mid-October before we see anything. And that calculation was possible at the earnings call at the beginning of August, just adding 2 weeks to any date he gave for early access and 4 weeks for wide.
So relax, don't hold your breath and remember "it'll be ready when it's ready!"

Reactions: Kant.Ing