Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 9 in August will start rolling out full self-driving features!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately, that doesn’t show an exact version.

I do know if some navigation issues I’ve reported and discussed with the Mac beta team. I’ll have to check if those problem areas still exist.

As of this morning, the navigation problems I reported to Tesla (bad directions) are fixed. Pretty much proves yesterdays download was map update.

• Love
Reactions: MelaniainLA
Did you get any confirmation that it finished downloading & installed something? Mine has been giving me weird directions as well (which I reported) -- hope fixed too!

No, just saw lots of traffic on my network (5.2gb) headed to the car yesterday afternoon. Last night, after someone here commented it was the maps, I tried navigating to a destination that passes the problem intersection. It had the problem.

This morning, I tried nav again to the same point and the problem is gone.

It was a confusing intersection that was telling me to turn right (around a center median apparently, but there is a road to the right as well), but needed to stay left.

BTW - I reported using the "report" voice command AND sent an email to "navfeedback at tesla.com" with the time of the report and more details. They replied with clarifying questions and in one case called me for more details.

Last edited:
I have no idea how they deliver FSD without sign reading, it's just not possible.

Well, if you have HD maps that have the sign information in them already, plus some kind of accurate localization in that map, you don't need sign reading so long as you only enable FSD when on-map. But sign reading is easy compared to most of the problems you have to solve for autonomy. Sign reading was solved years ago. And they can't even get sign reading right, so...

What I predict is that AP2/2.5 cars will ultimately have “FSD-light” where a driver is still needed in the driver’s seat, ready to take over in 1-5% of situations, such as roundabouts, in construction zones, places where there’s a road closure or a nonfunctional street light (and you have to interpret hand signals from a cop in the middle of the intersection), school drop offs, etc etc. They can still call it FSD and technically fulfill their legal obligations. Then AP3, 3.5, 4, or 4.5 or whatever, with more sensors and faster processors will be able to handle true FSD.

This is absolutely what is going to happen. They will do just enough to not get sued, but they will never deliver what people who bought FSD expected to get. They more or less get to define what the "Full Self Driving" option means, nevermind the plain English meaning of the words. If the car drives itself, it is self driving. It can still require the human to supervise it and take over when it gets in a bad situation. It's still self-driving during the 90% of the time that it's driving itself. They didn't say "self driving 100% of the time in all conditions".

Now, there are in fact a few problematic pieces of their option description, like the park seek mode and some of the smart summon language. Those certainly suggest unsupervised operation. But they'll weasel around it somehow.

As of this morning, the navigation problems I reported to Tesla (bad directions) are fixed. Pretty much proves yesterdays download was map update.
Got the update yesterday as well, unfortunately the issues I’ve reported to them have not been fixed, my way home still tells me to take I-45 North instead of I-45 South, even though the route goes the correct direction even if it doesn’t tell you to exit correctly. If you were following the signs though you’d be screwed and cursing lol. I’ve sent them pictures and everything, as soon as I got the original update months ago. A little disappointing actually, considering the old nav was correct. Won’t be using any on ramp to off ramp on my way home from work I suspect until they get that fixed.=(

I have no idea how they deliver FSD without sign reading, it's just not possible.

If I’m the company taking eventual responsibility for traffic violations, I’d want the system to be based on sign reading AND maps database.

Ideally with some checks and balances to identify changes and ensure correct results.

A car driving through a small speed trap town could easily miss a sign if driving next to a truck on a Texas 2 lane each direction “highway”.

That said, I doubt it will happen this way. What I predict is that AP2/2.5 cars will ultimately have “FSD-light” where a driver is still needed in the driver’s seat, ready to take over in 1-5% of situations, such as roundabouts, in construction zones, places where there’s a road closure or a nonfunctional street light (and you have to interpret hand signals from a cop in the middle of the intersection), school drop offs, etc etc. They can still call it FSD and technically fulfill their legal obligations. Then AP3, 3.5, 4, or 4.5 or whatever, with more sensors and faster processors will be able to handle true FSD.

Luckily you are wrong :)

Elon Musk Reveals Tesla Autopilot 3.0 Will Be Free With $5,000 ‘Full Self-Driving’ Pack

Elon Musk on Twitter

• Funny
I'm not even sure all the Salt flats in the world have enough salt to take this one with.

Let's take this by facts, so highway driving is suppose to be the "easy" one, that's 2 years late and counting and to many dollars short to count. Now, to think we're going to do the far far more complex and all it's edge cases in less then 2 years is crazy talk.

Remember v8 -v9 is 2 years+ now, and we're all going to need new hardware by 2020, but wait, by 2020 there's going to more then likely be some form of model S/X refresh or hardware upgrade probably adding additional sensors, who wants to take the over under bet that Tesla calls out it can't be done on a 2.0 car and it wouldn't meet regulatory requirements and you need to now by a 3.5x car?

In fairness, the AP program has changed hands a couple times since then. We had an AP director who guided the whole program down a useless rewrite that had to be completely re-written again to fix it. That whole thing took, what? A year? Under Karpathy things have completely stabilized, especially starting in 10.4. Unless he leaves anytime soon, I wouldn’t expect the pace to slow down again like it had last year.

To be honest I am a bit confused. First FSD features would be off / on ramp. But he says that the features exclusive to FSD will come at the same timeframe as the 3.0 hardware (which FSD purchasers will get). Does this mean that on / off ramp is an EAP feature afterall then?

MEVq6ND.png

In fairness, the AP program has changed hands a couple times since then. We had an AP director who guided the whole program down a useless rewrite that had to be completely re-written again to fix it. That whole thing took, what? A year? Under Karpathy things have completely stabilized, especially starting in 10.4. Unless he leaves anytime soon, I wouldn’t expect the pace to slow down again like it had last year.

I totally agree. Starting from Karpathy's rewrite in 2018.10.4, we've seen steady progress. The basics work great now. Compared to even 2018.10.4 (which itself was night and day improved over the pre-rewrite mess), now, long-distance stopping, cross-traffic (lateral turn across path) detection, and overall distance regulation smoothness is a lot better.

Recently, I think detection of cars cutting in is sooner, and detection of cars leaving your lane is more accurate too.

But most importantly: With the exception of some minor gripes here and there, the overall trend has been that AP performs slightly better with each update. That's a huge difference compared to that 17.28 to 2018.2 era last year where they might fix one behavior at a huge expense to another behavior.

But yeah, the latest trajectory for Autopilot has left me a lot more optimistic about the future. Let's hope Karpathy stays with Tesla and continues doing the great work he's doing.

Last edited:
  • Informative

Except HW3 will still only enable a "toy" FSD, i.e., the car drives itself but the human must still supervise it and the human is responsible. HW3 cars will not drive themselves from LA to NYC without a human in the driver seat. HW3 is an upgrade to the computing power of the vehicle only; they still have fundamental limitations in their sensor suite that will make true autonomy impossible. Unless HW3 also includes a new sensor suite, they are screwed for getting to anything beyond toy FSD. I suspect they will need HW3's compute power even to make good on all the EAP promises (unassisted highway lane change in particular). Frankly they clearly have trouble just doing basic blind spot detection with the current hardware -- and I'll point out that cars costing a third of what a Tesla costs have had pretty decent blind spot detection for years now.

Except HW3 will still only enable a "toy" FSD, i.e., the car drives itself but the human must still supervise it and the human is responsible. HW3 cars will not drive themselves from LA to NYC without a human in the driver seat. HW3 is an upgrade to the computing power of the vehicle only; they still have fundamental limitations in their sensor suite that will make true autonomy impossible. Unless HW3 also includes a new sensor suite, they are screwed for getting to anything beyond toy FSD. I suspect they will need HW3's compute power even to make good on all the EAP promises (unassisted highway lane change in particular). Frankly they clearly have trouble just doing basic blind spot detection with the current hardware -- and I'll point out that cars costing a third of what a Tesla costs have had pretty decent blind spot detection for years now.

Maybe but consider this: as humans we have FSD. But we have just 2 eyes (looking forward, same direction), 2 ears and that’s it. No eyes around us or in the back of our heads. No supercomputer or neural net. No ultrasonic sensors or high range radar. If WE can drive with such a limited sensor suite (but admittedly better processing power!), why can’t a Tesla with its vastly superior sensor suite over any human?

Reactions: emmz0r and EinSV