TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Firmware 9 in August will start rolling out full self-driving features!!!

Discussion in 'Model S' started by diplomat33, Jun 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Bladerskb

Bladerskb Like how many times do i have to be right?

You have to look at this and the view what features Tesla currently have out. This is similar to people saying that Regulators were holding up EAP features while EAP where still struggling to match AP1 in performance and features. It didn’t make sense because of the later.

Same in this situation. If smart summon or Park seek (also park retrieve) mode were being held up by regulators. Then where is the park seek mode with human in the driver seat? Or the “park when near a parking spot?”

Auto Park hasn’t advanced one bit since what it was year ago. You would think there would be advancements before there’s some sort of parking without driver supervision. Also Tesla is not the type of company to hold out features as they have proven they will find ways to release it.

Forget summon to the front of a store, where is the “park when near a parking spot” mode? Auto park still only works when you have in-between cars. You can’t autopark in an empty parking lot (or around empty parking spots).

So if you can’t park using parking lines alone and you can’t navigate a parking lot with a driver in the car. Which are both easier things. Why would you think that regulators is the hold up for being able to be picked up at the front of the store

• Like x 4
  2. lunitiks

lunitiks (ง ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)ง

^^^ This

• Love x 1
  3. Interferon

Interferon Member

This sounds like the likeliest scenario I've heard in a while.

Imagine how much less stress and liability and pissed-off customers there would be if Elon had just kept his mouth shut about FSD from the get-go and not had it as an option to buy until it was proven to work. I'm sure they would still have sold more cars than they could make.

4. electronblue

electronblue Member

@rnortman a likely scenario.

Here is how I put my view in another thread:

5. dgatwood

dgatwood Member

I doubt it. For sure, I wouldn't own one. My last car was a RAV4. I don't buy expensive cars. But I bought a Model X because I knew that it had semi-self-driving features and would eventually have full self driving. Were it not for that, I would not have even considered a Tesla at that price point. And I would not have considered a version with a smaller battery, because even the 100D is just barely adequate during the winter without charging past 90%. And the Model 3 is way too small for me, so basically I'd have been waiting for the Model Y before I even considered buying a Tesla vehicle at all.

I figure the only reason the Model 3 is happening at all is because they built up enough money selling those high-priced models to (barely) cover the ramp-up costs. Without the promise of full self-driving, the first consumer EV likely would have come from GM, and Tesla would have eventually tried to catch up, but it would have been too little, too late, and they'd be out of business.

So although pre-selling the feature was a big risk, I think it was a necessary one.

• Like x 3
    • Disagree x 1
  6. OPRCE

OPRCE Member

I second that, also would not have bought without promised inclusion of all future hardware upgrades to achieve FSD.

7. emmz0r

emmz0r Member

If you ordered FSD you will get that, that was promised.

• Funny x 1
  8. electronblue

electronblue Member

We do not know that.

In reality there is a long list of promises and specs Tesla has not delivered and many that very likely they never will. Many AP1 features (AP1 navigation based exit taking announced as software update for December 2016 as one example of many), P85D and P90D performance specifications (including missing promised 0-60), promised retrofitted for free lighted vanity mirrors for all Model S etc.

That said I am pretty sure some kind of feature called FSD will be delivered and some hardware retrofits made for HW2/HW2.5 cars (HW3 APE the likeliest) but ”Level 5 capable” or Tesla Network riding (another promise, details of which to be released in 2017 was also promised) seem unlikely.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  9. emmz0r

emmz0r Member

HW3 is a reality and Elon has repeatedly stated that the retrofit will be free. If not there's solid grounds for a refund or re-delivery.
    Full self driving. is FULL self driving. Not half self driving. :)

If I have my HW3 delivered and retrofitted, and it works in intersections and roundabouts without confirmation, I would be a happy camper.

• Like x 1
  10. Tic-tac-toe

Tic-tac-toe Member

#1690 Tic-tac-toe, Jan 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    Third this. Bought the 2018 MSP100D this Sept for the FSD... eventual. Not holding my breathe for FSD or care at this point. It’s very obvious that EAP is nowhere near FSD. We were misled. Love the S P100D so it doesn’t matter at this point.

The S P100D is an awesome car. Performance wise it rivals cars like the Porsche 911Turbo S, Audi R8, etc. performance wise, the car is a bargain even at 150k... and it is an EV and can seat your in-laws in back in comfort while you smash supercars. So don’t care about the FSD, the P100D is a blast to drive.

When we bought the S in September, Tesla was running a commercial on their website showing a blind man “driving” to his mother’s house. Very touching. That ad is no longer there. LOL!

• Funny x 1
  11. electronblue

electronblue Member

I am pretty sure we’ll get HW3 APE or similar computer retrofits that is not an issue really. How quickly those are fitted is an open question but still.

What is a different story is will that FSD meet the lofty goals Tesla outlined in October 2016 for it. Including Level 5 capable hardware, Tesla Network for renting out your car in autonomous mode and Summon from coast to coast to pick you up.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  12. emmz0r

emmz0r Member

Yeah. Europe has not gotten NoA yet. No idea what the hold-up is. But if it's the same with HW3 I am gonna get pissed.

• Like x 1
  13. conman

conman Member

It will be the same, and we are gonna get pissed.

• Like x 1
  14. SpudLime

SpudLime Active Member

That was not a Tesla ad. It was made by fans of the car.

It wasn’t in their website but they probably retweeted it.

• Like x 2
  15. thenaimis

thenaimis Former Tesla Cheerleader

Elon has said a lot of things. I'll believe it when I see it, and then I'll expect support to be removed in a later software update.

16. emmz0r

emmz0r Member

Better believe it or it's gonna be lawyer food. Just like the reported horse power in the P series and the AP 2.0 delay.

17. electronblue

electronblue Member

Unfortunately the legal repercussions in those instances were so tiny in comparison that they really did not force addressing the issues themselves. AP 2.0 is still delayed, P series still have only the HP they do. Well the P90D performance throttling (after frequent launches) at least got rolled back a little after a court order, another episode not even mentioned often these days.

If those cases are anything to go by, Tesla would get away with FSD non-delivery by paying off some lawyers, changing some texts on websites and spreading some hundreds of dollars to each buyer... and relying on people forgetting and upgrading cars anyway to new ones.

It is not hard to imagine that a company might even rely a bit on such obfuscating circumstances and the passage of time to get away with things. I mean many of those who actually bought HW2 (not 2.5) and FSD with the original set of promises are soon buying new cars anyway.

That said I do believe Tesla will retrofit HW3 computer or similar but I am not so sure about the actual capabilities of ”FSD” reaching the lofty promises of late 2016 on HW2...

• Like x 1
  18. emmz0r

emmz0r Member

Yeah I am thinking about the retrofit only. The actual software will be grossly delayed. I think we'll reach some kind of a super-NoA with support for intersections and roundabouts etc, but not "summon the car across the country" or the Tesla network.

If you get dirt on the cameras it has to pull over and stop. With a human in the car it can alert you and you can take over to fix the problem safely, but without a driver - I don't think so. Will be great times for the towing car business though :)

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  19. emmz0r

emmz0r Member

Russian hackers did it!

20. Electroman

Electroman Active Member

Premapped route. A big step but not a biggie. Tesla’s demo 2 years ago was also rigged with a premapped route.

• Like x 1