Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 9 in August will start rolling out full self-driving features!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The picture suggests it sees the truck before it gets into front camera zones? Does that mean side cameras in play? Ultrasonics would not do it.

Either they're using side cameras or they are "tracking" objects that used to be visible by the front cameras as you pass them, and continuing to display them for some time at their inferred position. More likely this is the side cameras. I really am looking forward to seeing how well this works... in rain and snow... and with vehicles approaching fast from behind.

There’s no lens cleaning but there’s also no real way for rain to gather there either, outside a zero-g environment(or, I suppose, if the car is upside-down).

Not sure why you say that... How do you explain how much water accumulates on the backup camera, which also faces backward and is shielded from direct rain? It doesn't even need to be actively raining; if the roads are wet spray will get kicked up and go everywhere.

With a motorcycle dude! Now that we’ve passed autowipers, showing cars in adjacent lanes and now showing the little motorcycle icons, I wonder what will be the next missing inane feature(or MIF) everyone complains about...

Now can we finally say that AP2 has reached parity with AP1. :D

Not sure why you say that... How do you explain how much water accumulates on the backup camera, which also faces backward and is shielded from direct rain? It doesn't even need to be actively raining; if the roads are wet spray will get kicked up and go everywhere.

Backup camera is only shielded from rain while moving forward(and, indeed, if you’re moving forward when it starts raining, rain won’t gather there). The side cameras are shielded always by the repeater housing. In order for rain to hit it, the rain has to move upwards and towards the front of the car. I suppose that might be possible if parked outside in a hurricane or something crazy like that, but normal (or even hard) rain won’t do it.

Reactions: croman
Drive on nav and the new blind spot notification sound great! I am loving what I am hearing about V9. This is a big update indeed! Autopilot is truly and finally becoming the driver assist system that we've all wanted it to be. Exciting times!

It is probably AP2.5 only because recall (verified with component teardowns) that AP2.5 cameras have an extra color channel so they're more honestly "full color" vs. AP2 cameras.

For those that paid for FSD, when the AP3 MCU is installed, I hope that they change the cameras to the color cameras that are in AP2.5 cars. Other than size and shape of stop signs, etc., having color cameras would help in identifying signs better.

For those that paid for FSD, when the AP3 MCU is installed, I hope that they change the cameras to the color cameras that are in AP2.5 cars. Other than size and shape of stop signs, etc., having color cameras would help in identifying signs better.

Its been shown in the autonomous vehicles forum by damien and others that the color channels available in AP2 are more than enough to pull out sign colors very effectively. Obviously only Tesla knows if FSD needs the upgraded cameras, but it may be unnecessary.

Reactions: S100D
If this is reliable this will be the killer feature in this release. We'll see how reliable it is... in the rain for example. (The side repeater cameras have no lens cleaning...)

They don't get wet at all. Trust me. I documented this a year ago. I'd rather not search my post history for the photographs proving it but you can feel free.

I think you are confusing AP 2.5 and the MCU2 upgrade. The MCU2 upgrade happened in March of 2018, while the AP 2.5 upgrade happened in late 2017. (And included a different AP computer than AP2.)

The MCU doesn't have access to any video feed other than the rear camera, so the work has to be done mainly by the AP computer.
Yeah my bad I misunderstood the question

Drive on nav and the new blind spot notification sound great! I am loving what I am hearing about V9. This is a big update indeed! Autopilot is truly and finally becoming the driver assist system that we've all wanted it to be. Exciting times!

And when will it become the self-driving, autonomous-ride-sharing, come-pick-me-up-on-the-other-side-of-the-continent system that was promised? :p

They don't get wet at all. Trust me. I documented this a year ago. I'd rather not search my post history for the photographs proving it but you can feel free.

I am glad to hear it!

No it doesn't. No spray.

Are you talking about the backup camera or side cameras? I have seen the backup camera get quite dirty when the roads are wet and dirty, even without active rain. I find it hard to believe that the same thing wouldn't happen to the side cameras, but I guess we'll see.

Are you talking about the backup camera or side cameras? I have seen the backup camera get quite dirty when the roads are wet and dirty, even without active rain. I find it hard to believe that the same thing wouldn't happen to the side cameras, but I guess we'll see.

The negative pressure at the rear of the car at speed plays a big role in this. I don’t think the side cams will suffer from the same issue.