Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware Update 2018.12

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was wondering what people were talking about and it happened to me today ... MCU reboot while driving. Looking forward to getting the next firmware update! Hopefully it fixes backup camera and sound system degrade. AP2 working like a charm though.

Edit : Santa, I would also like the new maps... I've been good... No coal please

It's been three weeks since I received the 2018.12 update but I still don't have the new maps, even after driving over 2000 miles and always parking where wifi is available.

One of our other cars is stuck at 2018.10.4. The third car got 2018.14.2 last week and received the new maps a day or two later via our home wifi.
Our other two cars got the 2018.14.2 update last night. For the car on 2018.10.4, it was a 419 MB download. For the car on 2018.12, it was a much smaller 164 MB download. Now we're just waiting on the maps for those two cars. :)

I’ve had 2018.12 for 3 weeks now, after a ranger visit. New maps haven’t showed up yet. I did open my car to a dark MCU last Saturday. Did scroll wheel thing and got a message that service was required because it could not load the maps. Went away by itself but no new maps. Was this perhaps a failed download of the new maps?

I’ve had 2018.12 for 3 weeks now, after a ranger visit. New maps haven’t showed up yet. I did open my car to a dark MCU last Saturday. Did scroll wheel thing and got a message that service was required because it could not load the maps. Went away by itself but no new maps. Was this perhaps a failed download of the new maps?
No, that tends to happen occasionally after a reboot until the maps have loaded. Has nothing to do with a download.

Does anyone know if there are conditions other then wifi requirement for tesla updates (firmware or maps). Is there a charge condition (i.e. must be plugged in and have at least x% charged). I charge to 70% daily as a habit and only charge higher if I need it for travel the next day.
I am asking because I seem to notice it downloading when its charging but stops when charging is complete.

Does anyone know if there are conditions other then wifi requirement for tesla updates (firmware or maps). Is there a charge condition (i.e. must be plugged in and have at least x% charged). I charge to 70% daily as a habit and only charge higher if I need it for travel the next day.
I am asking because I seem to notice it downloading when its charging but stops when charging is complete.
Mine started downloading today and I only ever charge to 70% as well. I was plugged in however.

These are not requirements. There is a mention of maps downloading through WiFi in the manual, but that has always been there, not just since .12.
I think it's proven beyond a point with people parking in garage WiFi for weeks the trickle out of the new maps is somehow intentional or otherwise deployment speed restricted.
There is no proven way to accelerate downloading of firmwares through WiFi, geofencing, particular states of charge or rain dancing (hm, maybe I should try that actually).
It's likely there's a bottom limit for SoC for the installation and for staying connected, but it's very likely that is way below 70% and checking the state of "always connected" being set on or of.

Last edited:
Two of our cars got 2018.14.2 on Monday night. On Tuesday, my car wasn't plugged in or driven at all and it started receiving the map update in the evening. The other car had been plugged in/charged/driven on Tuesday and it received the map update a couple hours later on Tuesday night. Both cars showed the new navigation information in the release notes this morning.

• Helpful
Reactions: croman
Two of our cars got 2018.14.2 on Monday night. On Tuesday, my car wasn't plugged in or driven at all and it started receiving the map update in the evening. The other car had been plugged in/charged/driven on Tuesday and it received the map update a couple hours later on Tuesday night. Both cars showed the new navigation information in the release notes this morning.
Thanks for the reply. I got the update last night myself. It was plugged in and charging. But From your statement there doesn’t seem to be anything else. Wifi and Tesla has to enabled your car to get the maps. Maps looks about 5 gig of data. I am still in 2018.12. Now waiting on the smoother 2018.14 update. Since I am a new owner of an X (got it in mid March 2018). Everyone should be getting it assuming they enable sequential to date manufactured. But if you are stuck on an old map due to your WiFi situation maybe you aren’t getting it until that can be fixed or you visit a service center.

I’m thinking besides wifi this is more random than we want to think. I’ve had 12 for three weeks, been on wifi and plugged in for 99% of it and no maps. :D

I wonder if perhaps they've stopped sending new maps to cars below 14.2. I also had 12 for 3 weeks with no maps then yesterday I got 14.2 and this morning, surprise, I had new maps. Perhaps maps with 12 or 14 were just too buggy.

I wonder if perhaps they've stopped sending new maps to cars below 14.2. I also had 12 for 3 weeks with no maps then yesterday I got 14.2 and this morning, surprise, I had new maps. Perhaps maps with 12 or 14 were just too buggy.
I am currently on 2018.12 and have been for awhile. I had a strange error message some time ago... Something about a map loading error. I wonder if you are right? Maybe there is an issue with 2018.12, the new maps and some car configurations.

I don’t have time to sort through this entire thread to see if this is already been mentioned, but as of 2018.12, auto pilot makes me touch the steering wheel every 47 seconds exactly. I’m pretty sure it used to be a random length of time, anywhere from 1 to 3 minutes.

I don’t have time to sort through this entire thread to see if this is already been mentioned, but as of 2018.12, auto pilot makes me touch the steering wheel every 47 seconds exactly. I’m pretty sure it used to be a random length of time, anywhere from 1 to 3 minutes.

It still is random. There are a variety of factors that are used by the system for nah prompts. Confidence in itself is a major factor. I think nags have generally increased though so maybe the formula has been adjusted.

I timed 6 sessions, back-to-back. All were exactly 47 seconds between nags.
And what are you doing for those 47 seconds? Nothing? Not touching the wheel? Then you need to touch the wheel. :D It makes you touch the wheel more often if you never touch the wheel. If you touch it once in a while, it knows you are awake, and then doesn't need to nag you as often to touch it. It's not as cut and dried as 'every 47 seconds'.

We went on a four hour trip a few weeks ago on 2018.12 and tried this out.