Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware Update 2018.12

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nope...

Attachments

• 66CBD541-900B-4820-AE73-BB6EAF7DEF23.jpeg
    66CBD541-900B-4820-AE73-BB6EAF7DEF23.jpeg
    359.9 KB · Views: 237
  • Informative
Reactions: chispas
Moderator note: Merged two 2018.12 threads together.

Not targeting anyone in particular with this next comment: These firmware threads tend to get a little chatty with messages of the form "I got something, I'll you know what it is when I install it". These don't really add much value to the discussion (partially because at that point in the update cycle there's no way of knowing what version is to be installed!). Once you've actually applied the update in your car, that would be a good time to share anything useful you've found (e.g. release notes).

Thanks,

Bruce.

Moderator note: Merged two 2018.12 threads together.

Not targeting anyone in particular with this next comment: These firmware threads tend to get a little chatty with messages of the form "I got something, I'll you know what it is when I install it". These don't really add much value to the discussion (partially because at that point in the update cycle there's no way of knowing what version is to be installed!). Once you've actually applied the update in your car, that would be a good time to share anything useful you've found (e.g. release notes).

Thanks,

Bruce.

Not to mention the dozens of standard comments as follows: “I don’t have it yet and I’m still on version [insert old version number here] - should I call Tesla?”

Or the 'it took too long and I did this and screwed it up...'. Wait until the app tells you it's done. If it's not been 90 minutes, I don't even go near the car. THEN tell us it crashed and burned.

On topic: TeslaFi has 11 cars with it, and one doesn't like it at all, reporting at least 9 times (rolled off the bottom) with stuff I've never seen before (repeats of the bottom two lines here...):

upload_2018-3-28_13-46-27.png

Reactions: jldf310
Got my MS 11/17 back this afternoon from the SC (leaking water in the interior, sunroof drain problem). They loaded the new version ready to install.

Have 2018.12 installed now.
Notes: opening front and rear trunk with app.

That was already possible with the previous version I believe. At least it showed in the app, had not tried it yet.
Have not noticed changes in maps/MCU speed/AP.
No new settings, no easteregg visible (yet).

Got my MS 11/17 back this afternoon from the SC (leaking water in the interior, sunroof drain problem). They loaded the new version ready to install.

Same story here. I just installed it at home after picking the car up at the SC a couple hours ago [19s and snows off, 21s and new Pilot Super Sports on -- those are very nice!]. Was going to try the remote trunk opening but the iPhone app still reports "mobile access disabled". I think this is standard during the SC visit but should be released after you pick up the car: mine hasn't been.

Edit: Called SC and was told others have reported the same. She suggested logging out of the app and logging back in. I just tried it and it didn't work.

Last edited:
Same story here. I just installed it at home after picking the car up at the SC a couple hours ago [19s and snows off, 21s and new Pilot Super Sports on -- those are very nice!]. Was going to try the remote trunk opening but the iPhone app still reports "mobile access disabled". I think this is standard during the SC visit but should be released after you pick up the car: mine hasn't been.

Just turn it on in the settings, they just turn it off. Nothing special :)

• Informative
Reactions: jtrayer and MP3Mike
Just turn it on in the settings, they just turn it off. Nothing special :)

(slaps palm against forehead) ... yes, that worked. Thank you very much! I didn't realize that setting was there. I surmise that Tesla service has a standard procedure where they 1) load the firmware update, 2) install it, and then 3) turn mobile access back on. Because the install was very long they left it for people to do at home. But since they didn't do (2) they forgot to do (3).

(slaps palm against forehead) ... yes, that worked. Thank you very much! I didn't realize that setting was there. I surmise that Tesla service has a standard procedure where they 1) load the firmware update, 2) install it, and then 3) turn mobile access back on. Because the install was very long they left it for people to do at home. But since they didn't do (2) they forgot to do (3).

Maybe it's a UK thing, but they never enable mobile data again here. They leave a little card in your car explaining that it's been disabled (along with dashcams disconnected) and that you should enable it again.

Anyway, this is off topic... sorry mods.

From what I've seen, they *never* install the update, they download it. Then you can install it when you want. Just because it does take that extra hour, and they want to get the car out of the way.

And, if there were going to be an Easter Easter Egg, this would have to roll out as quickly as 2017.50.2/3 for Ho Ho Ho. Even that missed some people for Christmas, and this one is not really ramping very quickly yet....

• Informative
Reactions: Jcamps
I just checked it and it works. Pressing the button in the app opens the trunk and a second press closes it. Somehow I don't think that innovation (the only new feature in the notes) accounts for the very long install time. My car has AP1. Hopefully it is enhanced as was mentioned earlier in this thread.

I just checked it and it works. Pressing the button in the app opens the trunk and a second press closes it. Somehow I don't think that innovation (the only new feature in the notes) accounts for the very long install time. My car has AP1. Hopefully it is enhanced as was mentioned earlier in this thread.

It doesn't. That functionality came in 2018.10.4 (and possibly 2018.10). There's gotta be something in here - an easter egg, or AP improvements, or new maps that are hidden until it gets unlocked in the future, or just nothing at all.