Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware Update 2018.12

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m all for polishing as I patiently await the golden alarm clock.

With that said, detailed/any release-specific release notes - even the 1-liner we lobbied for back in the day and did get for awhile (Bug fixes and minor enhancements) would be helpful.

Since knowing what something is *not* is often as helpful as the converse.

Reactions: Detay
I used the new AP1 firmware on the freeway today. I was cruising in the right lane and it handled freeway on ramps better than I've seen before. It did do a very small wobble at an off ramp. I felt the car start to go down the off ramp, but before I could take any action, it continued on the freeway. My hand was on the wheel too, it was a shorter wobble than I've ever seen before.

I don't know if it was the mild weather (high 50s low 60s F), but I've driven this route a number of times before and today the car was more efficient than I've ever seen. I was 275 Wh/Mi on a 50 miles round trip. Usually the best I ever do is around 285 Wh/Mi. It seems regen might be a bit more efficient. On one leg that was mostly downhill I was 8 Wh/Mi at the bottom of the hill. Usually it's around 50 Wh/Mi on that stretch.

I have an early refresh S 90D.

For everyone's information. While the update is installing, it has already completely downloaded. It is NOT downloading anything while the install is processing.

So it does not matter whether you are on WiFi, Cellular or no connectivity, you can install an update that the car is showing as available.

This can't be repeated often enough.

For everyone's information. While the update is installing, it has already completely downloaded. It is NOT downloading anything while the install is processing.

So it does not matter whether you are on WiFi, Cellular or no connectivity, you can install an update that the car is showing as available.
... true except when there are new maps (hint from Elon’s tweet) those can require long downloading after the firmware update has installed even on WiFi ...

... true except when there are new maps (hint from Elon’s tweet) those can require long downloading even on WiFi ...

My guess is that you will get the software first, and then it will replace the Navigon maps with the new Tesla maps before the new navigation system is enabled. (The other two options are that it downloads the maps during the update, or that there is enough space to have both sets of maps installed at the same time.)

I got 2018.12 and (perhaps) foolishly installed it. I can't resist new firmware even if it might contain potential regressions. I'm weak. I have a nearly 800 mile road trip to upstate NY tomorrow. Should be a good test for this. I had 2018.10.4 previously and that was pretty good so I hope 2018.12 is even better. FWIW, I believe I got this because I have an open ticket at my service center.

I'll report in with my impressions.

I had it pushed to my car after a service appt today on my MS AP1.

No new maps, (what I was really hoping for)

I just went on a 20 min drive to test. Nothing challenging on the road I took, but seemed to be normal. Lane changes seem to be much faster to respond. Nags seemed less frequent.

I can attribute all of those positive thoughts on some very good night time driving conditions. Clear sky, well marked lanes on a fwy here in socal.

• Love
Reactions: MelaniainLA
I got 2018.12 and (perhaps) foolishly installed it. I can't resist new firmware even if it might contain potential regressions. I'm weak. I have a nearly 800 mile road trip to upstate NY tomorrow. Should be a good test for this. I had 2018.10.4 previously and that was pretty good so I hope 2018.12 is even better. FWIW, I believe I got this because I have an open ticket at my service center.

I'll report in with my impressions.

I am terribly disappointed with you.... Everyone knows as soon as you get an update you take it out for a spin RIGHT AWAY and tell everyone it's doing hill crests better and the nag timer is relaxed! :D

18.12 Release Notes:

Model 3:
Steering wheel button updates
For your convenience, we've updated the functions of the scroll buttons on the steering wheel.
The right scroll button now lets you quickly adjust Traffic-Aware Cruise Control settings. To increase or decrease the set cruising speed, roll the right button up or down. To adjust the follow distance between you and the vehicle ahead, press the right button to the left or right. You can still adjust these settings from the touchscreen and press down on the button to activate voice commands.

The left scroll button now lets you adjust your Model 3 side mirrors and steering wheel. Start by tapping the Controls icon on the bottom left corner of the touchscreen and then tap Quick Controls > Adjustments

To adjust the mirrors, tap Mirrors and select the LEFT or RIGHT mirror icon. Then, scroll the left button up or down, or press it left or right.

To adjust the steering wheel, tap Steering Wheel and scroll the left button up or down, or press it left or right.

Model S/X: North America Only
Introducing new Navigation (Beta)

Whether you’re on your daily commute or heading out to a new destination, you can rely on Navigation to give you the fastest route and provide more accurate estimated arrival times. It will route you around traffic jams and guide you through complex maneuvers when required.

If traffic conditions change and there’s an alternate route that will save time, Navigation will automatically reroute you. As with the previous system, you can control how aggressively Navigation does this: just indicate how much time an alternate route should save by adjusting the setting in CONTROLS > Settings > Apps > Maps > Navigation > RE-ROUTE IF IT SAVES MORE THAN

Navigation prevents you from missing turns by giving you a clearer view of upcoming maneuvers. More responsive guidance prepares you for complicated intersections or multi-lane interchanges. Each turn and highway exit that you should take is clearly labeled in blue, whereas cross-streets or highway exits that you will pass are labeled in black, to help you monitor your progress along the way. In addition, guidance and labels match real-world road and highway signs wherever possible.

As you get closer to a maneuver, the instrument panel view will zoom in to provide greater clarity and, if necessary, will highlight the lane (or lanes) that you should be using. This makes it easier to see how close you are to the turn, the cross streets that you’ll pass, and which direction to take.

We welcome feedback about the new Navigation Send email to [email protected], or press the voice commands button on the right side of the steering wheel and say "Note," followed by your comments.

Model 3:
Steering wheel button updates
For your convenience, we've updated the functions of the scroll buttons on the steering wheel.
The right scroll button now lets you quickly adjust Traffic-Aware Cruise Control settings. To increase or decrease the set cruising speed, roll the right button up or down. To adjust the follow distance between you and the vehicle ahead, press the right button to the left or right. You can still adjust these settings from the touchscreen and press down on the button to activate voice commands.

The left scroll button now lets you adjust your Model 3 side mirrors and steering wheel. Start by tapping the Controls icon on the bottom left corner of the touchscreen and then tap Quick Controls > Adjustments

To adjust the mirrors, tap Mirrors and select the LEFT or RIGHT mirror icon. Then, scroll the left button up or down, or press it left or right.

To adjust the steering wheel, tap Steering Wheel and scroll the left button up or down, or press it left or right.

Model S/X: North America Only
Introducing new Navigation (Beta)

Whether you’re on your daily commute or heading out to a new destination, you can rely on Navigation to give you the fastest route and provide more accurate estimated arrival times. It will route you around traffic jams and guide you through complex maneuvers when required.

If traffic conditions change and there’s an alternate route that will save time, Navigation will automatically reroute you. As with the previous system, you can control how aggressively Navigation does this: just indicate how much time an alternate route should save by adjusting the setting in CONTROLS > Settings > Apps > Maps > Navigation > RE-ROUTE IF IT SAVES MORE THAN

Navigation prevents you from missing turns by giving you a clearer view of upcoming maneuvers. More responsive guidance prepares you for complicated intersections or multi-lane interchanges. Each turn and highway exit that you should take is clearly labeled in blue, whereas cross-streets or highway exits that you will pass are labeled in black, to help you monitor your progress along the way. In addition, guidance and labels match real-world road and highway signs wherever possible.

As you get closer to a maneuver, the instrument panel view will zoom in to provide greater clarity and, if necessary, will highlight the lane (or lanes) that you should be using. This makes it easier to see how close you are to the turn, the cross streets that you’ll pass, and which direction to take.

We welcome feedback about the new Navigation Send email to [email protected], or press the voice commands button on the right side of the steering wheel and say "Note," followed by your comments.

Where is this text from? Is it from the release notes? How come no one else posted this before?