Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware Update 2018.12

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@TaoJones Since you feel it may be overpass color and sun position, do you find the same abrupt braking when traveling in the opposite direction at the same time of day, right after a u-turn?

I’ve not had abrupt braking in a long time with AP2, FWIW.

Different conditions than the 405 southbound at dusk for sure, but the most notable difference is the overpass colour and contrast, yeah.

Happened to be headed the opposite direction today at *approximately* the same time - no abrupt braking, of course. This is also one of those use cases that's tough to pin down. For example, can't have traffic in front of you (that will trigger a "natural" slowdown lately, which is better than not).

As for the u-turn question, funny you should mention - The I-10 --> 60 transition directions are flat out broken in Nav - so I have ended up twice now executing a u-turn at the next exit. However, that's to execute the correct transition *before* the overpass in question on the way back (else I'd have 2 u-turns to make).

Abrupt unnecessary braking on divided non-freeways is a frequent occurrence (every week if not every day) at my end. But similar to your experience, I haven't had the abrupt overpass freeway braking in CA for weeks - had hoped/assumed it was fixed. So much for that.

Here's one more datapoint: I haven't had abrupt overpass braking *at night* in recent memory - so there's that.

In Karpathy I trust.

Reactions: MelaniainLA
Different conditions than the 405 southbound at dusk for sure, but the most notable difference is the overpass colour and contrast, yeah.

Are other AP2 owners in you area still seeing the problem? Any AP2 loaners you may have driven exhibit it?

I’m guessing here, but I’d say I’ve not seen it in 6 or 7 months, 8 to 9 releases ago. I had several overpasses it always happened with, then just stopped failing.

Last road trip early Oct ‘17 and not one problem in 700 plus miles.

I was on i5 freeway heading north out of san Clemente (south Orange County). I received the update approximately 5 days ago but the new icu maps had not been working yet until today.

I turned the nav on just to see if it was working on the icu, it was so I turned the nav off. We were listening to music in the car, the sound went down(similar to how it does when you open your door) and a ladies voice said “warning, vehicle on shoulder ahead”. I couldn’t really understand what she said the first time so I’m not 100% sure if there was a vehicle On the shoulder the first time but I think there was someone broke down.

I don’t have voice on for nav and my son and I were talking so I thought oh... car has a bug or something. Luckily it happened again about 3 minutes later with another car, it was a chp vehicle with someone pulled over, I honestly thought it was a mistake but then it happened again and it was accurate.

Zero warnings popped up on either display, it happened exactly 3 times. On my way home from our trip to the mall no warnings but there wasn’t any chp or people broke down. I can only think they partnered with google/waze on traffic based warnings. Kinda makes sense when you go to app page on screen and it says something like internet based updates or something to that effect.

Anyway its a cool feature and I hope they keep pushing stuff like this out.
This is phenomonial

Reactions: Tjhappel
I had a case of abrupt braking today. It was where the freeway had a sweeping left turn and I was in the HOV lane and cars in the other lanes were moving more slowly. I think it saw those slow moving cars when I was heading toward them before the lane swept left and thought I would hit them because they were moving much slower than I was so it applied the brakes suddenly, then realized it was going to be turning left and let off the brakes and proceeded to turn and speed back up. Still shocked my wife riding as passenger.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
From reading some of these posts, sounds like phantom braking is still an issue for AP2 owners on this latest build. Too bad. When I've had to drive AP2 loaners while my AP1 car was being serviced, its downright scary when phantom braking occurs on the highway.

One of these days... "Tesla driver gets rear-ended by a semi while using Autopilot..." uugh

No zero as in absolutely zero chance. After the first time it happened I turned the music off seeing if it would repeat itself. It did then I started timing it thinking it was a total flaw, first 2 happened about 3 minutes apart, 3rd one was 15 minutes later.

Trust me I would Be thinking the same thing as you guys that I somehow did something like have waze on or nav voice on in the background etc... I didn’t 100%.

No zero as in absolutely zero chance. After the first time it happened I turned the music off seeing if it would repeat itself. It did then I started timing it thinking it was a total flaw, first 2 happened about 3 minutes apart, 3rd one was 15 minutes later.

Trust me I would Be thinking the same thing as you guys that I somehow did something like have waze on or nav voice on in the background etc... I didn’t 100%.

Interesting case.

We’ve gone from phantom braking to the Phantom Voice of San Clemente. Perhaps we shall call her “Clementine” :).

If only Tesla provided best-practice complete release notes, eh?

If police activity wasn’t so high (and crafty) during this current trip, I’d mute Waze or just quit the app for a day to see if I can get this to happen.

Reactions: Barensn
Sorry everyone, time to change my forum name!!

Time for an eternal roasting from all of my forum friends(I’m officially blaming my 3 year old daughter:).....

I just went to the store and i got a police ahead warning, obviously at this point I had to scroll through my apps and buried way deep right next to YouTube kids was waze, my kids must have accidentally turned on waze on while playing on my phone this Morning.

I’ve never heard my cars (clementine’s) voice before so I legitimately thought it was the new update and I had something special! I feel extremely ridiculous so I’m very very sorry to get anyone excited that I had some amazing new awesome update when I didn’t. I’ve put almost 200k miles on my 3 cars and I don’t think I’ve heard her voice so I definitely get to look like a fool for this one!

Tao and everyone else.... I know your gonna roast me so let’s get it over with quickly!!! I deserve it for not looking back to make sure it somehow wasn’t on.

We’ve been getting phantom braking multiple times per day ever since upgrading to 2018.12. Happens under overpasses but also away from them quite frequently.
I strongly suspect Tesla is doing a renewed push towards activating radar braking for real.

It seems like they dialed back radar braking in the past after too many complaints about unwanted braking, but the recent publicized collisions might be changing their minds.

Hopefully they can get it figured out.

Reactions: croman