Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware Update 2018.12

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The speed of the maps roll out is really, really weird. The last time they rolled it out, it was about as fast as they roll out firmware updates. Based on what people are saying here, it would not surprise me if map updates are only coming at a rate of maybe a few hundred vehicles per day. Something is wrong - either there are show stopping bugs in the navigation software itself (unlikely) or there are bugs in the firmware "rejecting" the ability to consistently receive the map update. The only other thing I can think of is that given the size of the fleet and the size of the update, the roll out is so expensive that Tesla is intentionally slow rolling it to save money to help hit financial targets in the the current quarter. Otherwise, I cannot think of a good reason why the slow roll on a map update.

• Disagree
Reactions: selfbp and MP3Mike
The speed of the maps roll out is really, really weird. The last time they rolled it out, it was about as fast as they roll out firmware updates. Based on what people are saying here, it would not surprise me if map updates are only coming at a rate of maybe a few hundred vehicles per day. Something is wrong - either there are show stopping bugs in the navigation software itself (unlikely) or there are bugs in the firmware "rejecting" the ability to consistently receive the map update. The only other thing I can think of is that given the size of the fleet and the size of the update, the roll out is so expensive that Tesla is intentionally slow rolling it to save money to help hit financial targets in the the current quarter. Otherwise, I cannot think of a good reason why the slow roll on a map update.

When is the last time they rolled out a complete redesign of the navigation system? This isn't just a normal yearly update of the maps like has happened in the past. I'm sure Tesla is being cautious and rolling this out slowly while monitoring the performance and feedback/complaints.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: mblakele
I got .12 this morning and then saw the maps start to download as soon as I got on my home Wifi. Seems like they are using scp or something to download the maps from an EC2 instance. Surprised they didn't put it on S3 or some CDN, wonder what their AWS bills look like!

Would be nice when arriving home if the mirrors auto-retracted when Tess auto-opens the garage door. Likewise, when leaving home and Tess auto-closes the garage door, it would be nice if the mirrors auto-restored.

I'd just be happy if the mirrors stayed folded consistently in the garage. They unfold on their own in the garage intermittently. I almost took out the right mirror on the car a week ago when I didn't notice the mirrors were deployed when I was backing out.

Yes, good idea, but Elon might not want to revisit the speed threshold thinking. The mirrors used to unfold at about 10 mph, but that feature was removed roughly mid-2017. As I vaguely recall, someone had folded their mirrors and proceeded to drive down an alley. At 10 mph or so the mirrors unfolded and hit something. Tesla was blamed and we all lost a nice feature. I'd say, if you're that close on the sides, creep along at way less than 10 mph.

Perhaps Elon can put the speed feature back and include a warning about auto-unfold any time the driver folds the mirrors ... oh dear, it's getting complicated. Lord, keep me (us?) from being dumb and then blaming Elon.
I don't understand why they had to remove that option completely. As long as it's an option, same as driving your car above the speed limit and getting a speeding ticket, it's not the car's fault.

I got .12 this morning and then saw the maps start to download as soon as I got on my home Wifi. Seems like they are using scp or something to download the maps from an EC2 instance. Surprised they didn't put it on S3 or some CDN, wonder what their AWS bills look like!

That is some heavy acronym speak! I wish I knew what it meant!

Drove 600km today, first longer trip o on .12 and man, it's much worse than 10.4. Frequent breakings at overpasses and sign bridges, unable to properly allot trucks to their lane thus breaking when lane changing next to them, micro-swerves while lane changing....
Also seems to have reduced perception range, had it only start decelerating to the end of a jam from about 100m distance and then go to the brakes quite strongly.
Had it for about 10 days in Europe, lots of time on WiFi, no new maps.
So if I could, I'd stay on .10.4 rather than .12, alas it's too late...

My model X was subjected to this debacle early this morning. I get into the vehicle and I'm presented w/something to the effect of "Update failed contact Tesla Service" on the screen behind the wheel. The big screen was black, phones in the USB ports weren't charging...ok. I've had updates where the 'reboot' didn't go well and only required the roller buttons on the steering wheel reset maneuver.

After doing that, I get a popup on the big screen telling me maps data failed to update, a warning status that indicates the update failed, and that I should wait for another update to be pushed out. The fw/pending status indicated another update pending. I set that for 0300 tomorrow. But on my way to work, everything vanished leaving another popup indicating the update failed. No other data.

_However_, I am left in a state where nav does not work (no map data) and most negatively impactful to me is no more audio through/from the infotainment system. My phone can connect and it claims media is but no audio through that means. None of no seatbelt beeping when you get in, hit the brake, while strapping in, no nag noise when it thinks my hand isn't on the wheel during freeway ap cruise commute.

Oh, and as others have mentioned the AP update does not seem like an improvement. The previous issue of inclines causing it to suddenly want to 'lock up the wheels' is worse now. Previously there was only really one spot I'd have that. This morning's commute, I got it in that same spot but also general passing of vehicles in side lanes. Mostly unusable. More likely to get rear-ended than anything else at this point.

WTFO!? This is _NOT_ the thing for which I dropped $125K USD.

My model X was subjected to this debacle early this morning.

_However_, I am left in a state where nav does not work (no map data) and most negatively impactful to me is no more audio through/from the infotainment system. My phone can connect and it claims media is but no audio through that means. None of no seatbelt beeping when you get in, hit the brake, while strapping in, no nag noise when it thinks my hand isn't on the wheel during freeway ap cruise commute.

Have you called customer support or contacted your service center? The forums are not going to be able to help you with this one.

Tesla pushed the 2018.12 release to my AP1 car because I kept getting main screen lock ups/reboots. When I used the navigation today I swear it looked and acted differently. How can I check if it's the new nav vs my imagination
Definitely spooling down 12 and spooling up 14, looks like many of us are in the place in the queue for 14. IF I'm in the same place in the two week queue as the last four times this year, I will get it tonight (if I've not jinxed myself sufficiently...): :eek:

If you got the new maps OR the new nav (Waze-ish), you will have 'added' release notes for them. From what we've seen elsewhere, the really new nav is only after 14. So now there are two addons: Maps somewhere after 12, and Waze crowdsourced nav/traffic after 14.

upload_2018-4-12_10-13-57.png

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
Drove 600km today, first longer trip o on .12 and man, it's much worse than 10.4. Frequent breakings at overpasses and sign bridges, unable to properly allot trucks to their lane thus breaking when lane changing next to them, micro-swerves while lane changing....

I too went from 10.4 to 12. Can’t say my verdict would be as bad as yours but I have noticed regression as far as AP is concerned in the form of more phantom breaking and, oddly, swerving within the lane in slow moving traffic. Nothing dramatic, just slightly more than the previous version. I am however experiencing frequent crashing and rebooting of the main screen while driving. That is totally new. I’ve never had that before. Called tech support. They are investigating/looking at the logs.