Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Firmware Update 2018.12

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Wifi only idea sprung from the manual. That had been there before 2018 so it might have nothing to do with the download to switch our old vs. new maps.
Considering Tesla offers free audio streaming in its vehicles I really don't think cost is a factor involved but rather download speed and signal continuity/data integrity.

If you want to know if it's the new vector maps check the place name orientation remaining horizontal independent of map rotation on the MCU screen.

Really bummed by this patchwork style release with claiming "it's coming this weekend" while completely ignoring the tweet is read the world over, not just between LA and Fremont.
After all no one knows when the new maps might finally make it to Europe. Given the current pace it looks like it may well be a year.

Cost is definitely the factor for prioritizing Wifi over LTE. They offer updates faster to those with Wifi for a reason. Even though they offer free audio streaming, even Spotify is capped at low-quality 128kbit audio.

Download speed and data integrity can be equally bad over short range Wifi, as in long range LTE. In both cases, the physical layer as well as the transport layer (TCP) will handle it and rerequest that bad info. Tesla software and servers probably won't even notice the difference.

In very rare cases a download might be corrupt, but the final MD5 check will uncover that and redownload the bad chunks.

OK maybe the rep thought anything west of the Mississippi was California. I don't recall a single post of anyone east of the Mississippi getting the new maps/nav.
But Nick said he was "reading from an internal document"!

If Tesla were a person, I'd be wondering if he was merely a compulsive liar or actually a sociopath.

Last edited:
I got the update from 2018.10 to .12 about 2 weeks ago. Still, no new nav in my AP2 Model S. Took our first road trip since the latest update and noticed automatic lane changes were not as smooth as 2018.10. Also, ping-ponging a little around long curves. 2018.10 was smooth as silk on turns. Finally, a little more swerving at interstate exits and on ramps where the lane widens and the car searches for the center.

Overall, 2018.12 doesn't feel quite as solid and assured in the lane as .10 did. Hope it continues to improve. Still waiting on new maps.

I got the update from 2018.10 to .12 about 2 weeks ago. Still, no new nav in my AP2 Model S. Took our first road trip since the latest update and noticed automatic lane changes were not as smooth as 2018.10. Also, ping-ponging a little around long curves. 2018.10 was smooth as silk on turns. Finally, a little more swerving at interstate exits and on ramps where the lane widens and the car searches for the center.

Overall, 2018.12 doesn't feel quite as solid and assured in the lane as .10 did. Hope it continues to improve. Still waiting on new maps.

Got my 2018.12 5eadc71 version installed over the weekend - no new navigation system nor "faster" web browser.
does anyone know which version contains the new maps?

• Funny
Reactions: MelaniainLA
Got my 2018.12 5eadc71 version installed over the weekend - no new navigation system nor "faster" web browser.
does anyone know which version contains the new maps?

Dude please read the hundreds of posts above that make it clear that MAPS ARE A SEPARATE DOWNLOAD, unrelated to a particular firmware. You DO NOT get maps at the same time. You may get them a day after the update, you may get them a week later, and if you have no WiFi access you may NEVER get them!

Drove 600km today, first longer trip o on .12 and man, it's much worse than 10.4. Frequent breakings at overpasses and sign bridges, unable to properly allot trucks to their lane thus breaking when lane changing next to them, micro-swerves while lane changing....
Also seems to have reduced perception range, had it only start decelerating to the end of a jam from about 100m distance and then go to the brakes quite strongly.
Had it for about 10 days in Europe, lots of time on WiFi, no new maps.
So if I could, I'd stay on .10.4 rather than .12, alas it's too late...

I got the 2018.12 update two weeks ago but still don't have the updated maps and navigation. I drove 750 miles (1200 km) over the past few days and didn't have any problems. There were a couple auto-lane changes that worked when going left but not back to the right but it was in the afternoon and I was driving southwest so the sun was probably interfering. I didn't have any phantom braking issues.

I did have an one instance where streaming and TuneIn stopped working. I rebooted and things started working again.

• Helpful
Reactions: Saghost
Well, my car just downloaded over 5GB of data. Got 2018.12 on Friday.
Looks like the new maps are coming to Canada!
r2d1C0i.png

• Informative
Reactions: MelaniainLA
On .12 for a week, got map update this afternoon. MX 90D Nov 2016. Pushed, no install required.
I have 2018.12 for a few weeks now but still no new maps. I have WiFi in garage and it’s under good signal. I can see that I upload a lot to Tesla but still not getting the maps. There is still an enable process at Tesla i presume. Have had the car for about one month and have downloaded about 1.2 gigs and uploaded about a gig to Tesla. I have plume WiFi so I can see data for the past 30 days.

Definitely another botched Musk promise.
"New maps this weekend", three weeks ago, turns into "if you live in the US, maybe just certain states there, NOT EUROPE OR CHINA, and if you're LUCKY!".
At this pace, TomTom still has a business case for a few years to come /rant
I believe it was "starting to roll out this weekend." And that's what happened.

It's been three weeks since I received the 2018.12 update but I still don't have the new maps, even after driving over 2000 miles and always parking where wifi is available.

One of our other cars is stuck at 2018.10.4. The third car got 2018.14.2 last week and received the new maps a day or two later via our home wifi.