Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First 60kWH delivery notice or email - who will it be?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the sticker says the same weight as the 85 kWh cars.
You are correct. Here is the sticker from my P85. By the way Hans, your car is beautiful. Congrats! Steve.
photo.JPG

What's the point of keeping the VIN private? Does that protect you in some way?
Also, are you guys serious about trying to mod your battery like that?
That's a big sealed unit, and dangerous to say the least, not to mention that you would SO void the warranty...

Just a tip: if you want to keep your VIN private, you should blank out the last four digits. Everything else can be deduced from your configuration.

- - - Updated - - -

One theory that I heard from de704 was that the testing methodology used on the 85kWh battery was actually changed by the time they did the testing on the 60kWh battery, and that the two batteries actually have the same relative efficiency... That sounds more plausible now, and if so that would mean the 85kWh battery could eventually get retested under the new guidelines and come out with a higher range...

You are correct. Here is the sticker from my P85. By the way Hans, your car is beautiful. Congrats! Steve.
Actually both stickers refer to GVWR, which is GROSS vehicle weight rating at 5710 lbs. That number is max amount of load the car can handle (including all passengers/cargo). This is not the same as curb weight, which is the what the car weighs with nothing in it. So curb weight may not necessarily be the same.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gross_vehicle_weight_rating

It makes sense for the both the 60kWh and 85kWh versions to have the same gross weight if they use the same chassis and same suspension.

Mystery will continue for now...

This is no mystery. The label clearly indicates GVWR and GAWR. Gross Vehicle/Axle Weight Rating. That means fully loaded with cargo and passengers. Nothing to do with the empty weight. Because the body, suspension, and tires are the same, it's no surprise they can carry the same weight. Someone go to a weigh scale and get the net weight of the two vehicles.

Actually both stickers refer to GVWR, which is GROSS vehicle weight rating at 5710 lbs. That number is max amount of load the car can handle (including all passengers/cargo). This is not the same as curb weight, which is the what the car weighs with nothing in it. So curb weight may not necessarily be the same.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gross_vehicle_weight_rating

It makes sense for the both the 60kWh and 85kWh versions to have the same gross weight if they use the same chassis and same suspension.
But wait, if GVWR is vehicle plus cargo, and since the cars have the same chassis and suspension the cargo should be the same, and the GVWR is the same, that means the vehicle (curb weight) is the same, no?

I read GVWR as being the maximum that the car can handle. If the 60kWh and the 85kWh have the same GVWR it just means that the 60's can hold more cargo. It makes sense that the 2 cars have the same suspension.

+1 to this. Actual weight of the cars might be different but the total possible load would be the same. It's just that the 60 kWh can carry more load than the 85 kWh because the pack isn't as heavy.

I wish someone could put a 60kWh and 85kWh on a scale one after the other so we can dispel this once and for all! I'm sure it will happen eventually...

- - - Updated - - -

I wish more people would post full VINs. My insurance agent is having a really hard time giving me an accurate quote without a full VIN. The few full VINs that I've run across have been very helpful in that matter...

Just a tip: if you want to keep your VIN private, you should blank out the last four digits. Everything else can be deduced from your configuration.

I don't think it really matters much. But there was some discussion on this earlier in the thread. I just noticed that ClearwaterBchSteve had covered up everything but the last 5 digits.

Someone get thee to a scale. I'd think a waste/recycling center would have one, I've used such before.
Great idea! Although to be perfectly scientific about it, you should probably recruit a friend with an 85 kWh car with the same roof option (i.e. both pano or neither pano) and weigh both cars sequentially on the same scale with no passengers and nothing in the back or frunk. The scale at our local waste transfer station is in really rough shape and I wouldn't be surprised if it was off by a few hundred pounds. You should probably also offer the guy at the gate $5 or something since you probably won't actually be using their waster/recycling service that day.

But wait, if GVWR is vehicle plus cargo, and since the cars have the same chassis and suspension the cargo should be the same, and the GVWR is the same, that means the vehicle (curb weight) is the same, no?
No. A car with exactly the same body, suspension, and tires (I forgot to mention tires) will have the same gross max load rating. The body/suspension/tires do not care what makes up that load. Think of the body/suspension/tires like a cart. The cart doesn't care if you put motors/batteries/people/cargo etc. into it to make up the load as long as you are under the max load rating.

So in this case, the lesser weight of the 60kWh battery pack gets traded off for more cargo.

I've seen them at a scrap metal place and a stone supply place, but they weigh the vehicle before and after to get the change in weight; not sure if they care if the scale starts at zero or not.

I'd think any scale used in a business transaction probably has to be calibrated and certified. You could ask them. I used a city waste facility for my car and the results were in line with my calculations. I just drove on the scale, asked them what I weighed, and subtracted my body weight, and my dog's weight.