Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Electric Bill with my M3: I am saving $$$$

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received my first 30 day electric bill after taking delivery of my AWD NPM3. I used 835 kWh of additional power over the same month last year since I am charging at home. Average Temperatures were almost identical so I don't think I used any more AC than last period. My monthly cost rose $78.90 since I have been using the M3. I have used the supercharger once for a cost of $7.00. So total power cost is $85.90 to drive my M3 for the past 30 days.

I have driven 2065 miles in the past 30 days. I am figuring gasoline at a cost of $3.00 per gallon (I live in Indiana!) while averaging 20 mpg with my former Cadillac CTS AWD. I would have had to purchase 103.25 gallons of gas at a cost of $309.75 to drive the equivalent number of miles.

So I figure I am saving roughly $223.85 per month by charging my M3 at home rather than having to purchase gasoline for my former ICE Cadillac. This is an estimated yearly savings of $2686.20!

What are your results???

I haven't done full analysis, but I compared what the tesla model 3 would cost me per 100 miles vs my 2006 Acura TSX. assuming $2.79/gallon for 87 octane (price at the time i did this) and a roughly $0.166/kwh price for electricity, it comes down to $4.50/100 miles for the Tesla compared to $10.33/100 miles for the acura.

but...the tesla actually replaced my Subaru Legacy GT, which required premium gas and wasn't quite as good as the TSX was MPG. So i think my savings are similar to yours - where I'm paying roughly 1/3 of what I would be paying in an ICE vehicle.

Reactions: dhrivnak
I am averaging 1700mi and 415 kWh/month since I got the car in May. At my current electricity rate of 13c/kWh (including fees and tax), that's $52/mo in electricity.

If I compare to the 30mpg I was getting in my CX-5 @ $2.70/gal average price, it's $153. So a savings of $100/mo!

More realistically, if I compare it to what my alternative purchase option (likely an Audi A4) at 27mpg and $3/gal (which is probably low) for premium, I'd be at $190/mo and $140/mo in savings.

I have driven 972 miles on my Tesla since receiving it mid August. My 2006 Acura RSX gets about an average 27 MPG, current Costco's premium gasoline of $2.85/gal. I saved about $102.60 so far by using my Tesla instead of my Acura. And if the math seems funny, it's because I Supercharge for free. :D For giggles, electricity rate here in northern VA is about 13 cents/kWh, so it would've costed me about $38.16 if I paid for the electricity to charge the Tesla.

I received my first 30 day electric bill after taking delivery of my AWD NPM3. I used 835 kWh of additional power over the same month last year since I am charging at home.

I have driven 2065 miles in the past 30 days.

I think something is not right with either the miles driven or the power usage. If you use 835 kWh to charge the Model 3, you should have well over 3000 miles. If you only have 2065 miles, that will put you at 404 Wh/mi. Even if you add in AC usage, charging lost, and other stuff, it still seem pretty high?

I think something is not right with either the miles driven or the power usage. If you use 835 kWh to charge the Model 3, you should have well over 3000 miles. If you only have 2065 miles, that will put you at 404 Wh/mi. Even if you add in AC usage, charging lost, and other stuff, it still seem pretty high?

I think it's the total monthly usage difference between the same month in two different years. It's not a scientific measurement, just a rough calculation.

I haven't done full analysis, but I compared what the tesla model 3 would cost me per 100 miles vs my 2006 Acura TSX. assuming $2.79/gallon for 87 octane (price at the time i did this) and a roughly $0.166/kwh price for electricity, it comes down to $4.50/100 miles for the Tesla compared to $10.33/100 miles for the acura.

but...the tesla actually replaced my Subaru Legacy GT, which required premium gas and wasn't quite as good as the TSX was MPG. So i think my savings are similar to yours - where I'm paying roughly 1/3 of what I would be paying in an ICE vehicle.

I'm surprised you pumped 87 octane for your TSX when Acura recommended 91 octane or higher (owner's manual, pg 228) when you use premium gas for your Subaru.

I’ve been charging mine at home with solar panels and at work using a Nema 14-50 plug. So far I’ve only spent $.26 or 1 KWH at a supercharging station just to find out how it works. 2100 miles total since delivery. I used to spend $200 a month on gas

In a similar vein, I need to take my 2012 LEAF 100k miles for net fuel savings and avoided maintenance to have paid for the car.
Model 3 will need to go about 250k miles before it's been free to me vs ICE+maint.
I'm game for the challenge.

With our first Tesla, the Model S, we replaced about $300/month in gasoline with $60/month in additional electricity. Now that we have two Teslas, no ICE vehicle, free charging at work, and 10k of solar on the house, our net electricity cost is essentially zero. And our solar will have paid for itself right around the time that we're planning on retiring.

My previous car was a leased 2017 Accord that had an avg. 29.2 mpg in the 16 months I had it. I put almost exactly 15k miles on it in the first year. Estimating average gas price at about $3.25/gallon gives me an energy cost of $0.11/mile for the Accord.

I almost exclusively charge my M3 at the L2 chargers in the parking garage at work which are free :D and no road trips to speak of yet. I did have a couple weeks where I was working offsite and had to use an SC though. I’ve put 3164 miles on my M3 and charged $34 of SC time (and < $1 of charging at home just to test it out). My energy costs round out to $0.01/mile.

The equivalent cost of fuel for the mileage to date in my M3 would be $353.49 compared to my $34 in charging costs. The transition is working out quite well for me!

• Informative
Reactions: ai4px
I mainly drive a 2012 Ford Raptor for work and get maybe 11-12 MPG. I fill up once or twice a week at $70-$80 each time. During the fall and winter months ill be mainly driving the Model 3. With electrical rate of .145 it won't cost much. We have a Model S as well and with our solar panel set up we'll be saving a lot with the two teslas. I believe with the Model S and our solar panels during the hot months of July and august we only paid $90-$100 each month with AC running most days and charging the Tesla at least every other day