Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Electric Bill with my M3: I am saving $$$$

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm waiting for someone in SDG&E territory w/o solar and not on EV-TOU-5 to do the same analysis and realize that they've just nicely padded Sempra Energy's bottom line. :p
You rang? haha

Anything will have to save me money vs the 3500 Truck I'm borrowing right now (which is getting 19.5 mpg average on my commute). Which is actually better economy than the Nissan Titan I was driving before I sold it!

vs a commuter car like a ford focus or corolla I think the tesla will be very similar in total electic costs / increased electric rates for everything else due to TOU-EV5 plan. Of course right now I try to not use any power except the refrigerators and freezers and maybe some TV between 4-9. I really don't plan to be saving any money with SDG&E as my provider.

upload_2018-9-26_16-23-13.png

This month is my first on EV-TOU-5. But I have no EV (Sold it then delivery cancled). So it will be interesting to see how much power I used this month vs this month in 2017 to see just how much more the EV-TOU-5 increases non EV charging costs.

Last month I was charging my volt (which gets me about 1/2 the distance of my commute before switching to gas) .
You can see this cost me about $300 more than last year on the tiered plan + gas for the car. The tesla will require at least 2x as much charging (likely more) so it would be about $600 a month if I stayed on the tiered plan. This is approximately about the same as I am paying in Gas this month to commute in my truck. I was spending about $250-$300 a month when I had a ford focus. So during high usage AC months (it's over 110 for many days so yes im using the AC), the tesla would actually cost me about 2x as much as a gas car. Of course I switched to the EV plan, so now I just need to figure the standard cost increase for everything then add in whatever the tesla will cost.

But it's not looking like I will save over a gas commuter car.

Last edited:
Not always. In our case, our yearly insurance premium dropped $1,000 when we swapped a 1-ton dually Diesel pickup in on a Model X. Apparently Progressive doesn't like Diesels and does like Teslas. :D

Haha or the other side of that coin as in my case replacing a 2005 neon with a 2013 S85 and going from $50/mo ins to $167/mo but still cheaper TCO as I have solar and will get $50/mo back I wont be spending on gas for that car. (wife does not drive nearly as much as I do)

Haha or the other side of that coin as in my case replacing a 2005 neon with a 2013 S85 and going from $50/mo ins to $167/mo but still cheaper TCO as I have solar and will get $50/mo back I wont be spending on gas for that car. (wife does not drive nearly as much as I do)

I feel your TCO calc doesn't include the car price unless you had the Neon at red line 24/7. Or plan to be buried in the S85 (and therefore add in the casket savings in your math). :)

You rang? haha

Anything will have to save me money vs the 3500 Truck I'm borrowing right now (which is getting 19.5 mpg average on my commute). Which is actually better economy than the Nissan Titan I was driving before I sold it!

vs a commuter car like a ford focus or corolla I think the tesla will be very similar in total electic costs / increased electric rates for everything else due to TOU-EV5 plan. Of course right now I try to not use any power except the refrigerators and freezers and maybe some TV between 4-9. I really don't plan to be saving any money with SDG&E as my provider.

View attachment 338369

This month is my first on EV-TOU-5. But I have no EV (Sold it then delivery cancled). So it will be interesting to see how much power I used this month vs this month in 2017 to see just how much more the EV-TOU-5 increases non EV charging costs.

Last month I was charging my volt (which gets me about 1/2 the distance of my commute before switching to gas) .
You can see this cost me about $300 more than last year on the tiered plan + gas for the car. The tesla will require at least 2x as much charging (likely more) so it would be about $600 a month if I stayed on the tiered plan. This is approximately about the same as I am paying in Gas this month to commute in my truck. I was spending about $250-$300 a month when I had a ford focus. So during high usage AC months (it's over 110 for many days so yes im using the AC), the tesla would actually cost me about 2x as much as a gas car. Of course I switched to the EV plan, so now I just need to figure the standard cost increase for everything then add in whatever the tesla will cost.

But it's not looking like I will save over a gas commuter car.

OMG at your power bill. I just had a heart attack looking at that... I'm in IL and I pay .09/kWh and last month I consumed about 1600 kWh, which equated to $160ish. I don't even have my electric car yet, but OMG at your power bill. I'm speechless.

I had my friend in the car a while back and he was asking how much the car cost to run monthly, at the time I was about 3k kms and 450 kWh used in 3 months. I said that cost about $60, he was almost crying, his Toyota FJ Cruiser takes $80 a tank to fill a few times a month!

For most people they just don't know what's out there yet and change is hard for many but I'll do my part to open their eyes! :)

Reactions: Big Earl
do you guys keep your Teslas plugged in to the charger every night?

I got my first full month electricity bill and its about $80 more than I expected.

I keep my Tesla and have a Honda Claroity that's plugged into a SIemens Level 2 charger overnight. I wonder if my electricity is higher because I leave these 2 plugged in (I have heard though that best practice was to keep the cars plugged in so that's what I did)

OMG at your power bill. I just had a heart attack looking at that... I'm in IL and I pay .09/kWh and last month I consumed about 1600 kWh, which equated to $160ish. I don't even have my electric car yet, but OMG at your power bill. I'm speechless.

And @Glamisduner appears to have solar, otherwise it'd be even higher. I would never think of consuming 1600kWh in SDG&E territory without solar generation offsetting most or all of it. Let's see what it would come out to on the tiered plan for a house in the "Inland" area in the summertime...

Tier 1: 406kWh x $0.27098 = $110.02
Tier 2: 842kWh x $0.47504 = $399.98
High usage charge: 352kWh x $0.55348 = $194.83
TOTAL: $704.83

And @Glamisduner appears to have solar, otherwise it'd be even higher. I would never think of consuming 1600kWh in SDG&E territory without solar generation offsetting most or all of it. Let's see what it would come out to on the tiered plan for a house in the "Inland" area in the summertime...

That is just pretty wild. So the return on investment for PV is pretty quick for you all... I just got a 9.6kWh PV system quoted out here in IL and after the Fed incentive + State of IL SREC it would be about a 6-7 year ROI, which doesn't seem that bad. The only way it's that quick of a ROI is because of the tax credits, otherwise its like 20+ years.

I received my first 30 day electric bill after taking delivery of my AWD NPM3. I used 835 kWh of additional power over the same month last year since I am charging at home. Average Temperatures were almost identical so I don't think I used any more AC than last period. My monthly cost rose $78.90 since I have been using the M3. I have used the supercharger once for a cost of $7.00. So total power cost is $85.90 to drive my M3 for the past 30 days.

I have driven 2065 miles in the past 30 days. I am figuring gasoline at a cost of $3.00 per gallon (I live in Indiana!) while averaging 20 mpg with my former Cadillac CTS AWD. I would have had to purchase 103.25 gallons of gas at a cost of $309.75 to drive the equivalent number of miles.

So I figure I am saving roughly $223.85 per month by charging my M3 at home rather than having to purchase gasoline for my former ICE Cadillac. This is an estimated yearly savings of $2686.20!

What are your results???

Highly interesting data. Thanks for providing that info.

I have now gotten the info from our utility company what charging BEVs at home will cost me in future.
Compared to around 0.30 Euro we have to pay for electricity for the house, electricity for charging a BEV appears to be subsidized in our town so it is only 0.18 Euro (0.21 USD).

If I had used 835 kWh it would have cost me about 150 Euro (173 USD).

Had I driven 2,065 miles (I drive far less, but for comparison's sake let's assume I did) or 3,323 km I would have used about 216 litres of Diesel (at about 6.5 litres per 100km). At current prices of around 1.35 Euro per litre this would have meant a total cost of 292 Euro (335 USD).

So all other things being equal, the Model 3 would have saved me almost 50% in fuel costs.
Impressive, to say the least. I am really amazed, and actually quite happy, should it turn out to be true once my Model 3 arrives.

In my actual use case (driving about 750 km or 466 miles per month) this would mean 34 Euro for electricity versus 66 Euro for Diesel.
Per month. And the more I drive, the more I appear to save.

Again, very happy about this prospect.

Last edited:
Reactions: Falkirk

If someone is in the 1600kWh range with EV car, they should not stay in Tier plan (unless majority of the 1600 was household usage not EV charging). It would be cheaper to go to TOU because of the super off peak rate. Just have to charge the car at super off peak. The peak rate regular household usage will be more than Tier 1 but average out to be less than Tier 2. But the saving is that the majority of the usage would be at super off peak.

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl
do you guys keep your Teslas plugged in to the charger every night?

I got my first full month electricity bill and its about $80 more than I expected.

I keep my Tesla and have a Honda Claroity that's plugged into a SIemens Level 2 charger overnight. I wonder if my electricity is higher because I leave these 2 plugged in (I have heard though that best practice was to keep the cars plugged in so that's what I did)

I used to leave my M3 plugged in and charging every night, just because I wanted to be sure I had plenty of battery to get where I just might need to go. However, this month, I am not charging every night as I know what my next day driving requirements are. I don't fill up my ICE vehicle every day, so why would I charge every day.

I believe once you are comfortable driving your EV with your daily driving needs, you'll get used to charging only when you need to.

Reactions: AustinPowers

Insane rates like that would make me go off grid. :eek: