Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Glitch - Pass Window Won't Go Up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Passenger window continually lowered to half-open once closed. I could raise it in small increments a bit at a time, but if I tried to raise it all the way, it would kick back down. I did a reboot on system and it solved the issue.

I had exactly that happen with our driver's side window. Try using the window button to run it all the way down, hold it there for a few seconds, then try running it back up. On mine, it fixed the problem, and it hasn't happened again since.

Ron

• Informative
Reactions: ModelX
I've had that several times. Recalibration the window (the tip above) has never fixed it. If you had what I've had, then the window won't adjust downward when the door is closing. So if you attempt to close it with the window up, the window will clang at the top. When it's working fine, before door closes the window lowers a tad, closes, then adjusts up to make a seal.

So how to fix it? Once it fixed itself once it fixed by doing a power off. And the last time is right now and I haven't been able to fix it, which is why I'm here right now looking for other solutions. Did you ever find a solution?

@Marcos I had same issue. It fixed itself a couple of times. When I had the third row recall done, I mentioned it to the service team and they adjusted the window and I haven't had an issue since (a week ago)...

But I've just jinxed myself...

So I went to a service center today and had the window fixed. This is what they did:

At first, the guy tried the regular window calibration trick—push and hold to the bottom, wait a few seconds, then raise and hold. But of course, when the window hit the top, it would immediately close to the halfway mark. He tried this 5-6 times. I was like "dude, it's not working", but he said it just took persistence sometimes. So if at first it doesn't succeed, try, try again.

But after that 6th time or so, he changed tacks. He still brought it down, held for two seconds. But then he began raising it in short increments, like tap and raise, tap and raise, a few inches at a time. This actually did the trick. When the window got to the top, it didn't drop back down again. After that, it was working fine.

He said that sometimes you've got to mix it up if the regular calibration process doesn't work, still go down and press-hold, but then try raising it in various increments. So now my window works, and hopefully this will help the next person with that problem.

Had the same window issue about 2 weeks ago, however, mine was clearly a problem with the rubber seal. As the window rises, the seal on the outer/door side (passenger side) would roll up along with the window until it became too bulky and applied enough pressure to force the window back down.
Fixed after a day at the SC.

Hi just got my MX. When driver door closed, glass window protruded upward and stayed up creating a small gap which was very noisy when driving. Anybody knows how to fix it or do I have to visit SC. Thanks

Hi just got my MX. When driver door closed, glass window protruded upward and stayed up creating a small gap which was very noisy when driving. Anybody knows how to fix it or do I have to visit SC. Thanks
Check out the reset thread here: Model X Reset Techniques

Your window probably needs calibration. If that doesn't work, then the Service Center will have to take care of it.

• Informative
Reactions: ptsagcy
Just got back from SC. Here what they did

1)Lower the window completely down
2)Pull the window switch 2 times. This will automatically raise the window up
3)Put the hand on top of the window when it raises half way. This will make the window automatically go down
4)Repeat steps 2 and 3 (this could be 10-20 times) until doing step 2 and the window don't automatically raise again
5)The window memory is now completely cleared
6)Next roll the window completely down then hold the switch for 3 seconds
7)Then roll the window completely up then hold the switch for 3 seconds
8)Window fixed.

SC said whenever you have the window open too long for car washed or tinted, the window will lose the calibration. The above steps need to execute. SC said this is a known issue.

Good luck

Just picked up our Model X 100D on Thursday. Noticed today that the passenger window wasn't going up and down with the opening and closing of the door. Closed the window (pushed too hard and it went all the way down) and now it will not go back up. Tried the window recalibration steps to no avail, also did a reboot of system.

Would love to fix at home since it's -15 degrees outside and the service center is 30 miles ago ^_^ Any ideas?

Just picked up our Model X 100D on Thursday. Noticed today that the passenger window wasn't going up and down with the opening and closing of the door. Closed the window (pushed too hard and it went all the way down) and now it will not go back up. Tried the window recalibration steps to no avail, also did a reboot of system.

Would love to fix at home since it's -15 degrees outside and the service center is 30 miles ago ^_^ Any ideas?

Noticed the window wasn't going up and down with the DOOR opening and closing. Sorry about that - cold fingers!

Left a call in with Tesla support on 1/1/18. Since it was a holiday our service center wasn't open, but we spoke to someone at Roadside Assistance who sent our information over to the Service Center and said we'd receive a call in the AM on 1/2/18. Never received a call, so we called in around 10am on 1/2/18 and spoke to the service manager regarding the issue. He stated that the roadside assistance should have offered to arrange a tow to get it to the service center (admitting, thankfully, that it was undrivable with the window stuck down due to the cold weather!). After some back and forth, he sent his Mobile Service to our house at 2PM the same day. That would save us having to tow from our garage and deal with getting a loaner vehicle.

The mobile tech took apart the door and confirmed our diagnosis - the window was unable to "roll" up as the cable had come off the pulley. He was able to put the cable back on and unplug the motor to leave the window in the up position and disable the button so it didn't accidentally get rolled back down. The regulator is shot, so we're waiting on parts. He stated that this issue had been popping up in the last week or two - his hypothesis was because of the extreme cold. He also said he would look into some other questions we had as well.

Our car has been in heated garage except for a couple of hours of errands - and it was only 3 days old when it happened.

Outside of the lack of a callback right away, we were pleased with the service. Will bring it in when the parts are available.

Left a call in with Tesla support on 1/1/18. Since it was a holiday our service center wasn't open, but we spoke to someone at Roadside Assistance who sent our information over to the Service Center and said we'd receive a call in the AM on 1/2/18. Never received a call, so we called in around 10am on 1/2/18 and spoke to the service manager regarding the issue. He stated that the roadside assistance should have offered to arrange a tow to get it to the service center (admitting, thankfully, that it was undrivable with the window stuck down due to the cold weather!). After some back and forth, he sent his Mobile Service to our house at 2PM the same day. That would save us having to tow from our garage and deal with getting a loaner vehicle.

The mobile tech took apart the door and confirmed our diagnosis - the window was unable to "roll" up as the cable had come off the pulley. He was able to put the cable back on and unplug the motor to leave the window in the up position and disable the button so it didn't accidentally get rolled back down. The regulator is shot, so we're waiting on parts. He stated that this issue had been popping up in the last week or two - his hypothesis was because of the extreme cold. He also said he would look into some other questions we had as well.

Our car has been in heated garage except for a couple of hours of errands - and it was only 3 days old when it happened.

Outside of the lack of a callback right away, we were pleased with the service. Will bring it in when the parts are available.

My neighbor just returned his 2016 Model X for a brand new 2018 due to ongoing repairs, so he had enough with it. But now, he asked me what to do when the window doesn't roll up. Sounds very similar to your issue. Thanks for the update.

I got my Model X 75D on 12/22 and today the passenger side window stop working after only 600+ miles. Im in NJ and its extremely cold these days, at least by NJ standard. I parked outside office for about 5 hours. When i was leaving office, at first driver side door won't open, after i pull it open, it won't close completely. Because the window couldn't roll down. I have to drive with a gap on the window. Only 5 mins drive though. When i get back home and have it sit in garage for a while with heat on, its back to work. However, when i tried passenger side window, it initially wouldn't come down like driver side, after a few tries, it went down but won't go up completely. it went up very slow with quirky sounds. and then it stopped going up at all. I have tried the techniques posted in above posts but no luck. I called tesla support and they said mostly like a hardware issue. Have to call them tomorrow and see if i can get a mobile service. Its not drivable at this cold weather. Weekend is busy time for kids. this really sucks. Hope i can get it fixed same day. I will report back after its fixed

Had the same thing happen to my 75D while travelling to northern Illinois this week. The car was outside in -8 F all night and the next day. My wife went to open the passenger door and we heard the sickening crunch of glass catching on the chrome trim.
With my wife holding the door from the inside, we were able to drive to a relative's house and get the car in a heated garage. After 1 hr, the window worked again.
For the rest of our trip, I parked the car with both front windows lowered 1/2 inch, especially at hotel stays where I didn't want to get stuck with a broken window or a door that wouldn't close.
Note that there was no snow or ice on the car. This wasn't the window freezing to the rubber gasket (I had treated them with silicone before the trip). The window lowering mechanism was freezing up.

I got my Model X 75D on 12/22 and today the passenger side window stop working after only 600+ miles. Im in NJ and its extremely cold these days, at least by NJ standard. I parked outside office for about 5 hours. When i was leaving office, at first driver side door won't open, after i pull it open, it won't close completely. Because the window couldn't roll down. I have to drive with a gap on the window. Only 5 mins drive though. When i get back home and have it sit in garage for a while with heat on, its back to work. However, when i tried passenger side window, it initially wouldn't come down like driver side, after a few tries, it went down but won't go up completely. it went up very slow with quirky sounds. and then it stopped going up at all. I have tried the techniques posted in above posts but no luck. I called tesla support and they said mostly like a hardware issue. Have to call them tomorrow and see if i can get a mobile service. Its not drivable at this cold weather. Weekend is busy time for kids. this really sucks. Hope i can get it fixed same day. I will report back after its fixed

I called Tesla service on Saturday and they said most likely its hardware issue. They asked me to drop the car off to the service center, but i told them no way at this temperature for 60 mins highway with window open and requested mobile service. the rep said mobile service does not work on weekend. They said they will send msg to mobile and have them call me back. I ended up driving with the window open to drop off my kids to swim practice. I have an old BMW3 but it stuck in snow and couldn't be dig out easily. Sunday I have to drive younger one to swim meet again with window open. Luckily only 30mins drive on local road.

Today i didn't get any call in the morning so i call the center again. the rep said she will send msg to mobile team again. at noon, still no calls, and i called again. Another lady said she can't do much but sending msg to mobile team. I asked her even they can schedule today or very soon, at least they can call me back with ETA so i know im taken care of. and now 2 hours after, I still have no call back.

It takes a lot of courage and hard work to persuade my wife to get model X. Now she said we should return it for money back. with over 90k spent and only 2 weeks of ownership, i can surely understand her frustration.
will see how this ends.