Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First P85D adopters stuck in black hole

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally some news!
Got a response from Jerome who said my car was ready and indeed, my DS called me to schedule a delivery appointment for 12/17.
Let's see if it holds this time (it's only the third date ;).

Hope they kept their quality bar high in spite of all the rework needed and the extra manpower required.

-- Greg

Finally some news!
Got a response from Jerome who said my car was ready and indeed, my DS called me to schedule a delivery appointment for 12/17.

Hope they kept their quality bar high in spite of all the rework needed and the extra manpower required.

-- Greg

Aw, your response was way better than mine! *jealous*

Finally some news!

-- Greg

NextGen seats or temporary regular seats?

Same as before: "Your Model S is being prepared for pickup or delivery."

Hmm, OK... hopefully in the next day or so I see a change.

Pretty much if the car isn't on a truck sometime early this week 2014 delivery is impossible. I'm hoping AIMc is right and our cars end up on the same truck headed for Devon for delivery the last week of December.

At least Jerome more clearly states the real problem is with faulty parts in the early P85D's coming off the line and it is taking 10x longer to fix these early P85Ds vs cars that were manufactured later without any faulty parts. Problems seem to go beyond the airbag issue. Point is the early cars were clearly originally not manufactured properly and they are rushing the fixes as fast as they can, even if it takes outsiders without proper Tesla experience. Hmm...

I realize that some of the earlier P85D customers are getting anxious about the longer production time for their cars. The delays are simply longer on the earlier cars: it takes ten times more labor and time to remove and replace parts from that car than to make it on the production line. We have pulled people from every part of Tesla and hired outside contractors overseen by Tesla personnel to do this. If there was something more we could do, we would do it. Any customer that has suggestions for adding more highly skilled labor to the process should please let us know. We were also just hit by the worst storm in a decade and trouble at the port of Oakland, where containers with parts needed to complete the cars are released on an unpredictable schedule.

Thank you for your understanding and your continued support and patience. Best regards,
Jerome Guillen I VP, WW sales and service

This doesn't fill me with warm fuzzy feelings. Mine's been in build for 3 weeks, so I imagine mine is one of the ones getting major rework. This is the first thing that I've heard that inclines me toward cancel & re-order. I don`t care about the delay. I care about receiving a quality machine.

I also received a response from Jerome, which is very similar to wk057's response.

The only real difference is that in his, it is stated that he is undergoing "end of line inspections, whereas for mine:
Your P85D is undergoing the final production steps: it underwent “burn in” throughout the night and it is going through final inspections right now.

I am not sure if there is any difference. I feel for Tesla in their challenges with all of this, but some of their circumstances are clearly of their own making (eg: timing such a major delivery for December rather than January, not testing seats before mass production, lack of communication leading to frustrations, etc). I do think it's pretty clear that not everyone will be getting a delivery before 12/31, however.

I suspect I will be one of the "lucky" ones based on "final inspection" (which implies the replacement seats were installed), and hope that the outside contractors can meet the normal assembly line quality.

Tesla doesn't have model years though. By unknown build history do you mean they're sending you a potentially defective car?

I know about model year. But pretty sure a 2015 VIN has better resale value.

As for unknown build history, this email from Jerome sums it up... "it takes ten times more labor and time to remove and replace parts from that car than to make it on the production line".

Difficult to believe we're only talking about the seats.

Well, anything wrong with the car Tesla will take care of it one way or another, so, that I'm not worried about. Just worried about getting my car sometime in the next 17 days 4 hours 14 minutes...

I've been lurking on this thread (and the others related to P85D delivery) for the last few weeks. I have just learned from my DS that my P85D was loaded at Fremont today and will be at the Seattle DC on Tuesday (and ready for delivery on Wednesday, which I intend to do after work). Interestingly, he pointed out that mine DOES have Next Gen front seats but that (for now) the rears are older generation and will be swapped out (no timeline given). My interior is black, FWIW. He also can't confirm the heated steering wheel until the car gets to the Seattle DC, so I'll just have to wait and see (very much in the nice to have category for me).

So, progress for sure and I'm getting excited for Wednesday evening!

I've been lurking on this thread (and the others related to P85D delivery) for the last few weeks. I have just learned from my DS that my P85D was loaded at Fremont today and will be at the Seattle DC on Tuesday (and ready for delivery on Wednesday, which I intend to do after work). Interestingly, he pointed out that mine DOES have Next Gen front seats but that (for now) the rears are older generation and will be swapped out (no timeline given). My interior is black, FWIW. He also can't confirm the heated steering wheel until the car gets to the Seattle DC, so I'll just have to wait and see (very much in the nice to have category for me).

You might have the first next-gen seats on delivery in this forum if that's the case! Please update in the other "delivery" thread so we can track progress as you clearly are not stuck in the black hole :).

Yes, and by outside contractors.

If he ever gets to reply to me, since he's asking about customer suggestions on how to deal with this, I'd suggest they could give the option to the "black hole folks" to either:
1) get their cars "reworked" and into their hands as soon as the rework can possibly be done (this is what they are doing now)
or
2) rerun their order through the "tuned" production line, accepting the delay incurred by such process

They could always use the reworked cars as demo/loaner/service cars.

I suspect a few (many?) people would pick #2, so this would alleviate the pressure they're currently feeling on #1.

-- Greg

I would have accepted 2 though I'm not clear how this would work. Would they have had to build a brand new car from scratch? Essentially I have done this myself by re-ordering; however, it would be nice not to be put to the back of the line having previously been at the front of the line.

Again, my car does NOT have Next Gen seats and I am also lost in this black P85D hole. Been stuck in production since 11/25 and my delivery date changed from mid-Dec to late December last week with no more details. Still "in Production".

I suspect your car had some other defect that they need to manually re-work. Same process. Maybe you can convince Tesla to deliver you an 05 La Tache to compensate you for all your patience? :biggrin:

I love that everyone thinks seats are what's behind the holdup

Your comment makes it sound like you KNOW otherwise? If you do, how about sharing?

There has been a lot of conjecture and inferences made, most recently inference based on the private email messages that Jerome has been sending to people in the black hole situation, but I don't believe any of us really know anything. So if you do, I'm sure we'd all like to hear about it.

Try out those next gen Performance rear seats before you commit to the swap. The rear seats are what I didn't like about the new performance seats. I thought there was too much bolstering for a rear seat.