Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd sooner have a Leaf whose "only" problem seems to be battery capacity issues in Arizona heat ... rather than this.

Then again, this is not a "Tesla is better than Fisker" pat on the back time as Tesla doesn't have enough "S"'s delivered to make comparison ... but they can compare the Roadster.

This is bad PR for the EV industry as a whole ... naysayers yelling "EV's catch fire".

Jalopnik has a statement from Fisker:

We have confidence in the Fisker Karma. Safety is our primary concern and our Fisker staff have been in contact with the customer and are investigating the cause. We are also employing an independent fire investigation representative to assist in the root cause analysis. A further statement will be issued once the root cause has been determined.

Fisker-fire-Woodside.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Just makes me wonder... were there no fire extinguishers around? I have 3 in my office and workshop and each one of them would have done the job....

We must have a fire extinguisher in every car here, and they have to be checked and certified every year.

It could still have been power electronics or the charger (even the coolant leak recall for risk of fire from shorting the batteries). Given the car was burned completely last time, it's pretty much impossible to tell just from the pictures.

This time it's pretty clear the fire came from the engine compartment (the smoke started there and the fire damage is isolated to that area).

AFAIK, most of the High-Voltage stuff is in the rear. The motor controllers are behind the rear seats. Still, the generator inverter is in the engine compartment.

This has to be very worrisome for the company and the people who own the car. I'm not sure something like this could be fixed easily for the cars that are out there without a major redesign but that's just a guess.

Is this new incident statically relevant? How many fires happen to cars delivered up to the quantity Fisker has delivered?

What if this was a new Scion, or a Cube, or Prius C? Do they burn at 1 per thousand?

There are about 250M cars in the US. There are about 250K car fires in the US each year. That's about a 1/1000 ratio, but less than 6% of those cars are new, and I suspect more fires happen in older cars than newer cars.

A sample of 2 cars in 2K isn't significant, but one can't help but speculate on the similarity of these two instances: Car driven, parked, and then caught fire within a half hour (or less).

There are about 250M cars in the US. There are about 250K car fires in the US each year. That's about a 1/1000 ratio, but less than 6% of those cars are new, and I suspect more fires happen in older cars than newer cars.

A sample of 2 cars in 2K isn't significant, but one can't help but speculate on the similarity of these two instances: Car driven, parked, and then caught fire within a half hour (or less).

This seems like a bad part that under certain circumstances will catch fire. Discovering where the fire originated is absolutely critical. It could even be a part from the ICE and have nothing to do with the EV aspect of the car.