Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fisker ocean - UK forum

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd be interested to know what happens to the poor souls that bought or leased one. Can you give it back if it's unsupported and kind of unwarranted?
I suppose if you bought outright you're out of luck (Consumer law but who would you claim against?), but if you scroll up this thread, there are plenty of provisions on a leasing contract that you could use to wiggle out.

I suppose if you bought outright you're out of luck (Consumer law but who would you claim against?), but if you scroll up this thread, there are plenty of provisions on a leasing contract that you could use to wiggle out.
It won't have been purchased with cash (as in, paper money or even coins) because high value cash transactions over €10k are subject to anti money laundering regulations and dealers don't want to be involved so won't accept it. The chances are that some or all of the transaction has therefore been done on a credit card and so Section 75 protection or Section 75a (but some of the purchase would have needed to be financed) might be relevant for the consumer.

It won't have been purchased with cash (as in, paper money or even coins) because high value cash transactions over €10k are subject to anti money laundering regulations and dealers don't want to be involved so won't accept it. The chances are that some or all of the transaction has therefore been done on a credit card and so Section 75 protection or Section 75a (but some of the purchase would have needed to be financed) might be relevant for the consumer.
But section 75 is only on transactions up to a value of 30k

Credit Card? I've never used one to purchase a car, only bank transfers tbh...

Reactions: ACarneiro
Not true really. I’ve bought several cars in cash many times over the 10£k limit. Just ask for proof of source.

Reactions: Sean.
Credit Card? I've never used one to purchase a car, only bank transfers tbh...
I would personally always put deposit down with credit card so covered if anything goes wrong and then balance by bank transfer, appreciate that’s still no good for anything over £30k, even section 75a wouldn’t work in that scenario. Good luck to anyone who has one in getting out

I assume the mothership servers will be turned off soon. I wonder what will happen with the cars. I’ve heard stories of people’s fobs not working causing lock-outs that needed remote intervention from service staff. With the servers gone, cars really could end up bricked.

Not true really. I’ve bought several cars in cash many times over the 10£k limit. Just ask for proof of source.
I've never tried - and other than for reasons of tax avoidance or some sort of paranoia I'm not sure why it would be a sensible method to purchase a high value item personally, however YMMV. But in conversations I've had with dealers where I've (hypothetically) suggested turning up with a bag of cash they've always said that they won't accept it.

I've never tried - and other than for reasons of tax avoidance or some sort of paranoia I'm not sure why it would be a sensible method to purchase a high value item personally, however YMMV. But in conversations I've had with dealers where I've (hypothetically) suggested turning up with a bag of cash they've always said that they won't accept it.
Not cash. Debit card etc

I thought there also had to be a linked credit agreement to be relevant on purchases over £30k, but it is a mine field
To get Section 75a protection (if the item is over £30k but under £60,260), then part of the transaction needs to be financed - so you could for example buy a £60k car, finance £20k of it and pay the rest as a deposit but using a credit card for some or all of the deposit transaction and it would be covered as a linked credit agreement.

Well that's not cash then... 🤣

A cash purchase is a general widely used term for a purchase that does not use finance.

So buying something with funds from a bank is still deemed a cash purchase even if it does not get paid in £ notes and penny coins.

Say you were a cash purchaser for a house, a solicitor would still want proof that you had the funds and potentially where it came from, but that would involve things like looking at bank statements rather than physically counting the cash. But it’s still a cash purchase.

This is quite different to going to a trade person and offering to pay cash, off the books, maybe to save VAT and paperwork.

Reactions: Sean.
To get Section 75a protection (if the item is over £30k but under £60,260), then part of the transaction needs to be financed - so you could for example buy a £60k car, finance £20k of it and pay the rest as a deposit but using a credit card for some or all of the deposit transaction and it would be covered as a linked credit agreement.
Yes that’s what I had thought as well, you then go after the finance company if can’t resolve with who you purchased from or they’ve gone out of business, what I had meant is if you put a deposit on credit card and then pay balance in cash (by cash I mean a bank transfer) it won’t apply