Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fix for Broken FSD Beta 10.3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those of you who just had FSD Beta 10.3 pushed to you this morning you probably found out that after your first drive your whole autopilot system goes haywire. (FCW when they aren't appropriate, AP disengaging constantly, ect). I played around with a few things, but finally found something that seems to have worked to fix the problem for now. Hopefully this helps some of you at least get your car back to where you can drive it normally without a FCW warning going off in your face every minute!

1. Park the car and plug it in.
2. Remove your hard drive and/or stick from the USB port
3. Turn OFF Sentry Mode and Smart Summon Standby
4. Make sure there are no Tesla apps open on anyone's phone who is linked to the car
5. Go into Safety and Security and click "Power Off."
6. Exit car, close door and do nothing else. Don't open any door, don't open the Tesla App, Do nothing!
7. Wait roughly 30 minutes. I tried waiting 5 minutes but that wasn't long enough so I did it for 30 minutes and everything was back to normal. It might not take 30 minutes, but that is what I waited.

I'd advise keeping Sentry Mode OFF until they get a fix out. I just took a drive and the FSD Beta was working great again and no more FCWs!

I believe it’s 20 mins of no polling the car and no sentry mode (I’ve left my USB drive plugged in and it still went to deep sleep). I live in an apt that doesn’t have charging option and sentry mode is on 24/7. I’ve had to do this hard reboot maybe a couple times in the last 3.5 years for different issues.

Reactions: Crisss1205
I believe it’s 20 mins of no polling the car and no sentry mode (I’ve left my USB drive plugged in and it still went to deep sleep). I live in an apt that doesn’t have charging option and sentry mode is on 24/7. I’ve had to do this hard reboot maybe a couple times in the last 3.5 years for different issues.
Good to know! I just know what worked for me and I wasn't sure what was or wasn't important so I just put everything I did in the directions just in case. So no charging and no drive removal needed. Thanks for the feedback!

Reactions: K5TRX and xasroma
I just test drove 36.25.2. It has got to be the worst software update ever. Started in town, no body within 200 feet going 16 mph. The alarm went off in less than two seconds. No problem I think. I take it on the freeway. If the car goes up over an underpass it goes off. If I am going into a turn, it goes off. If someone passes me on the left or right it goes off. If someone enters my lane 20 cars length away and moving out it goes off. It would not hold for more than 5 seconds no matter what was around me or not. Then I gave up and tried to just use the acc. Good luck wth that. People entering my lane and pulling away 10 car lengths away and I get a warning. Now I can no longer use fsd or acc. Can not wait till they kick me out of the program. So I can use them again

• Funny
Reactions: K5TRX and EVNow
I just test drove 36.25.2. It has got to be the worst software update ever. Started in town, no body within 200 feet going 16 mph. The alarm went off in less than two seconds. No problem I think. I take it on the freeway. If the car goes up over an underpass it goes off. If I am going into a turn, it goes off. If someone passes me on the left or right it goes off. If someone enters my lane 20 cars length away and moving out it goes off. It would not hold for more than 5 seconds no matter what was around me or not. Then I gave up and tried to just use the acc. Good luck wth that. People entering my lane and pulling away 10 car lengths away and I get a warning. Now I can no longer use fsd or acc. Can not wait till they kick me out of the program. So I can use them again
You can just go into the autopilot settings and turn FSD Beta off….you don’t need to wait to get ‘kicked out’ of the program. Also, as others have said, it works great after fixing the initial bug(s). Might be worth just waiting it out.

Just went for my first drive with 36.25.2. Worked great for 20 minutes, then i parked and tried another drive. System wont even let me turn on autopilot on city streets anymore. Got on highway, AP let me engage then threw a FCW on nothing and slammed on the brakes in the middle of the highway really hard. Wtf. Going to try this “fix”, thank you for posting

Reactions: K5TRX
For those of you who just had FSD Beta 10.3 pushed to you this morning you probably found out that after your first drive your whole autopilot system goes haywire. (FCW when they aren't appropriate, AP disengaging constantly, ect). I played around with a few things, but finally found something that seems to have worked to fix the problem for now. Hopefully this helps some of you at least get your car back to where you can drive it normally without a FCW warning going off in your face every minute!

4. Make sure there are no Tesla apps open on anyone's phone who is linked to the car
6. Exit car, close door and do nothing else. Don't open any door, don't open the Tesla App, Do nothing!
7. Wait roughly 30 minutes. I tried waiting 5 minutes but that wasn't long enough so I did it for 30 minutes and everything was back to normal. It might not take 30 minutes, but that is what I waited.

I'd advise keeping Sentry Mode OFF until they get a fix out. I just took a drive and the FSD Beta was working great again and no more FCWs!
Starting process now....

Just finished the process and it does fix the problem, at least on one drive!

• Informative
Reactions: K5TRX and hellocar
C829753C-A6EC-4B9F-B448-FF8CCD3D9FB5.jpeg
Just received a software update of 2021.36.5.1 looks like they’re putting us back to 10.2 until they resolve this issue
Second update received. Assuming this puts us back on 10.2 I have a 1,600 mile road trip planned for a month that I would’ve had to cancel.

This fixed my issue, even took two drives, stopped/parked, locked. Had my USB SSD drive in for music/video...still have sentry disabled, never used auto summed.

Of course, Tesla is pushing 2021.36.5.1 to everybody....must of had this one in the hopper already in case of issues...ROFL. At least I have Beta now!!!

I must say in general, roundabouts are a mixed bag, signalling, stopping then starting, wheel jerking...bad situation.

Otherwise, it has only done a couple of sketchy things on me so far where I had to disengage and report it. They were potential serious issues of course, like turning down a street, when it first thought it should U-turn, which was correct. Then started racing down a road towards a closed gated blueberry farm like it thought it would be a good place to turn around?!?! IDK...

But took several other drives, and besides some map data issues, like a parking lot turn it didn't know existed, which it should...it did multiple drives fairly well, one completely without disengagement that was about 7-8 miles and turning onto a major state road from a light.

Handled several unprotected lefts well with only a few jerky moves and slight creep, otherwise it took it like a champ...impressed I must say considered all the horror stories...which I already kind of expected would happen, it's Beta

Also, loved the adjustability of the aggressiveness of FSD...but since we are going back to 10.2....have to wait for that to appear again.

Last edited:
Had 99 score and downloaded the beta this morning and drove around. It worked great for about 10 minutes and then the car went absolutely batshit. I pulled over, parked and started up again. Had to reenable beta to get to the car shop (picking up spark plugs for jet skis) and found that I could not reenable the beta to head home. Not even cruise control. I pull in the garage, plug in and there is a .1 update all ready for a download. Clearly Elon and the team rushed this update to meet the promises of his tweet. Whoops. Was fun for the 20 minutes I had it working. Ha.