Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Flat Fold second row now available.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I still think it is possible this was also done on the cheap. Making the fiver cheaper to make and keeping starting price lower. It may not say too much about the possible separate development of a folding monopost design...

Last edited:
Reactions: beths11
I still think it is possible this was also done on the cheap. Making the fiver cheaper to make and keeping starting price lower. It may not say too much about the possible separate development of a folding monopost design...
...or a removable monopost design, if safely achievable. I would find that to be an optimal solution, personally.

If you look at the line drawing in the online model X owners manual related to operating the 5 person fold flat seats it shows a fixed grid like pedestal. Though I don't know how careful Tesla is a ensuring owners manual drawings match the production product.

Where are the real-world pics?

I don't think we have any yet, best are these Photoshops from the design studio.

Showing a photoshop of the 5-seater "pedestals" (but poor photoshop otherwise):

model_x_five_seater_lighted_up-jpg.203459

Showing new trunk storage compartment:

W8Sw6FD.jpg

Where are the real-world pics?

They are now posted:

First look at Tesla Model X’s new 5-seat configuration with the best in class cargo space

If you have 2 minutes and 26 seconds:

I think the "N" posts are nice, very elegant:

model-x-5-seat-1.png

Previous pictures are definitely wrong about the second row position. It's flushed with the back of the door frame so you just can't reach to the back and place a laptop behind the seat and on the floor. You have to open up the hidden compartment from above:

model-x-5-seat-3.png

View from above with 2 lids off:

model-x-5-seat-7.png

The floor of the hidden compartment does have 2 D-rings. So if you take off the lid of the hidden compartment, you can tie down your luggage to the floor with these 2 new D-rings and the other pre-existing ones from the back!

model-x-5-seat-5.png

Another view of 2 floor D-rings:

model-x-5-seat-6.png

Definitely, the left and right side A/C vents for what used-to-be third row are now absent.

One unknown: Do those seats just lock in and immovable when they are in UP position just like Model S' bench or are they free so they can be reclined their backs at different angles.

Overall, It's still very good to me!

I am waiting for a non-performance 100D and I'll be all set!

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure the manual said that they do not recline.

I think you are quoting the part that says that a whole bench cannot slide forward nor rearward but they can certainly be folded forward and if you lift them backward their backs would be upright (while their "N" posts stay immobilized.)

"Adjusting Second Row Bench Seats

A Model X equipped with bench seats can accommodate up to three passengers in the second row. Use the mechanical adjustment lever located at each outboard seating position to fold or recline the seatbacks. The bench seat is split 60/40 so the adjustment lever on the left side moves the seatbacks for both the left and center seats (whereas the lever on the right moves the rightmost seatback only).
While pulling and holding the lever, move the seatback to the desired position, then release the lever. When returning a seatback to its upright position, push and pull to ensure it is securely latched into position.

Note: A bench seat on five-seat vehicles can not be adjusted forward or rearward."

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: MP3Mike
Some notes comparing above photos/video (thanks!) to Design Studio:

- Definitely the photos are very different from the two different photoshop designs seen in Design Studio images.

- Seats are more backwards so part of the N posts can not be seen (making them look more like V) and the legroom is ample. This is good. Also it means the thinking that side airbags would prevent this turned out to be incorrect.

- The glossy accents on the side profile and the N posts are gone. This is not so good as it definitely makes for a disconnect between the glossy front seats. Maybe if all were matte instead...

- That lever is huge. They really should have made it less prominent. I guess seat back was out of the question due to the in-seat seatbelts and perhaps reclining, but it could have been placed under the front of the seat hidden from view... or better yet, been automated like so much of the Model X is.

- The N posts seem to follow the 40:60 split making them look quite asymmetrical. It also means there is much less under-seat storage on the right side. I wish they could have gotten away with three posts instead of four. But it seems technically that is not a bench but one double and one single seat side by side. Anyway, the N post placement might explain why Tesla decided to shave off some of the C pillar skirting also in 6/7 seaters: Just picked up my model X with AP 2.0 hardware

- The back of the storage compartment/rear underneath of the seats look very exposed and unfinished. The Design Studio images showed a cover that would cover this area but it is not seen in these photos. Also it showed extending seat backs to cover this when seats are up. As is, stuff can fall out from the storage compartment to under rear seats - though this will also allow placing some thin long objects there even while seats are up, a plus.

- The Design Studio photos in the wider angle showed N posts with a little bit of recessed carpeting behind them. I wonder if Tesla experimented with seat moving backwards/forwards. If so, this history might explain the Design Studio photoshops obviously designed for a much more forward placed second row (that seat back extension). Of course we now know from manual no such movement is possible.

- The storage compartment cover seems to have a slot for the loop (to open it) - seen in Design Studio - but no loop. Prototype or design iterations?

- Overall strorage capacity looks great. More gained from third-row removal than some expected.

So as so often with Tesla interiors, quite the mixed bag and a bit odd/amateurish in some ways. They are still learning I guess.

It is also possible these are prototype/early design photos and incremental changes will affect some finishing touches/details. After all, we did see lots of quirky differences in early Model X demo cars (e.g. different second row seat back designs). We shall see.

Comparison to Design Studio:

W8Sw6FD.jpg

Last edited:
Hi,

Welcome to the forum. I believe the issue with "seat lowering into a foot well" is the batteries are located in the "foot well". There is not a space for a seat to lower into. I agree it could have been done a bit better and I am sure we will see revisions.

thanks for your welcome!

I am perfectly aware of the location of the batteries - what I meant with "footwell" was the space on the floor where rear-seat passengers put their feet. And in that location a flatter-folding rear bench would easily have been possible - even merely by copying a nearly 20 year old design from Mercedes.

According to your signature, today should be your delivery day - good luck and congratulations on this Christmas gift!!

Hi,

thanks for your welcome!

I am perfectly aware of the location of the batteries - what I meant with "footwell" was the space on the floor where rear-seat passengers put their feet. And in that location a flatter-folding rear bench would easily have been possible - even merely by copying a nearly 20 year old design from Mercedes.

According to your signature, today should be your delivery day - good luck and congratulations on this Christmas gift!!
Yes, it is my delivery day..two more hours..How nice for you to notice and comment. I expect to love the 5 seat option and yes I am sure improved seat folding and seating options will soon be available.

If you look carefully on all dark and light pictures, the pre-existing tie-down D-rings are there!

ZyTpwtw.jpg

g5RIfip.jpg

The left D-ring below is flushed, the right D-ring is swung out:

PA14jHY.jpg

What I meant is the S does not have any D-ring for the purpose of cargo restraints and although the X does have 4 D-rings for 6 & 7 seat configuration, they are neither for the purpose of cargo restraints with the new revision of folding bench.

Note that when the third row is folded, they are very tightly locked in that position and will not unfold until you electronically unlock it. Those D-rings on their backs would not unfold those seats when they are tied to moving luggage.
Wow, those headrests form a pretty solid wall. That's one thing I like about the 5-seater, you'll be able to actually see out the rear window.