Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Flat Tire on my brand new Tesla Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla started offering optional added-cost tire warranties when they first started shipping Model S back in 2012, but withdrew the program almost immediately. I'm not sure why but something wasn't working out or there was a regulatory issue, or something.

In any case, if you want a tire warranty I do believe you can purchase a third party plan separately. It's basically another form of insurance.

Most definitely this is not Tesla's fault. I'm sorry you had tire damage but it's just something that happens once in a while. Has nothing to do with whether you just bought a new car or are driving a 15 year old clunker.
I remember in Florida (and perhaps other states), Tesla had a lot of issues selling warranties given they were not licensed to do so. That might have to do with it.

You are correct, the other car companies do not provide this for no charge.

Cadillac does (or did). I used their free roadside and tire repair service at least twice.

- - - Updated - - -

I picked up a screw on about my 3rd day as well, went to Discount Tire who fixed it for free even though it's not theirs.

I've worn through my OEM tires and purchased both my current summers and winters from Kal Tire. They give you free lifetime repairs, re-balancing and rotations. I had a flat a few weeks ago on the way to work. I was able to pump it up and get to my office then, over the lunch hour, pumped it up again and took it to a nearby Kal Tire (not the location I purchased from). They took me in straight away, patched and re-balanced the tire all for no charge. Very happy with their service.

I don't understand, why do you think Tesla should cover your flat tire?

I'm in the same boat, confused as to HOW this could be Tesla's fault. If Tesla were at fault for EVERY single flat tire....... ****'s avoidable 'most' the time, when it isn't... Well, that's life!

- - - Updated - - -

I'm really sorry about the flat tire but seriously whatever happened to the concept of personal responsibility? You do realize that this is your tire that you own and you are responsible for anything that happens to your tire that is not the result of a manufacturing defect right? If you crash your car through a brick wall, it is on you. If you drive over a pothole or nail and have a flat tire, it is on you.

We've owned quite a few premium cars and none of the premium cars we've owned ever covered fixing flat tires. Some car manufacturers offer tire hazard warranties but unless you purchased such a warranty, the tires are your responsibility. Please be reasonable and accept responsibility for things that happen to your car that is not related to a manufacturing defect.
Sums it all up pretty nice. +1

I'm in the same boat, confused as to HOW this could be Tesla's fault. If Tesla were at fault for EVERY single flat tire....... ****'s avoidable 'most' the time, when it isn't... Well, that's life!

It surely isn't Tesla's fault, but having said that, I have had road hazard insurance on a lot of my previous non-Tesla OEM tires and have had dealers over the years repair flats at no cost to me. Maybe it was just a dealer goodwill thing, but it certainly isn't unheard of. My previous Cadillac also included the roadside assistance to come and mount my spare.

Hey everyone

I do not in any way believe it's Tesla's fault that I got a Flat Tire. That would be unreasonable. I agree with Shawn, its life. I do not expect Tesla to pay for my Tire unless they gave me road hazard warranty. I do believe that selling the tire warranty would assist buyers like myself who have to deal with Flat tires few days/months into their ownership. Like I said when my husband got his Benz he got some sort of road hazard warranty (Not a 100% sure the name) and when he did get a nail in one of his tires, Benz repaired without any cost. He did pay for some sort of warranty when he purchased the car. So basically, what I am saying it hurts when you get a flat tire few days into ownership, but If I have already paid for some of warranty it would hurt less!! If you know what I mean. Tesla should try the program people have been mentioned (2012) back potentially with some improvements.

That's all I am saying people! Jeez. lol

actually screw the flat tire.. Tesla already got rear ended on QEW . FML. Talk about heartbreaks, one after the other...

Last edited:
I know the feeling of getting a new car and getting into an accident. I got t-boned 18 years ago in a one month new Acura Integra with $4k in damage. Maybe you should back up the MS into a post and get your 3rd mishap at least on an already damaged area that is going to be fixed anyways.

Replacing your tires at Costco do give you a tire hazard coverage. But whether you can trust Costco to handle your car is another matter....

Well, I took our Tesla to Kal Tire and they were very careful and considerate. Tesla doesn't need to be used for tire service, that's a waste of their energy IMHO. As for Costco, I presume people with luxury cars go there, why would a Tesla be any different... :confused:

Kal Tire has been great for folks out Toronto way...I do think it is important though to ask if the specific Kal Tire store that you will be using has in fact worked on a Tesla.

I was trying to replace a tire with a slow leak (picked up a nail) a few months back...turns out that both the Kal Tire stores I called here in Hamilton / Niagara had never worked on a Tesla...that was enough for me to drive to Tranmere to get the tire replaced...I don't want my car to be the guinea pig for an inexperienced shop to cut their teeth on...

Kal Tire has been great for folks out Toronto way...I do think it is important though to ask if the specific Kal Tire store that you will be using has in fact worked on a Tesla.

I was trying to replace a tire with a slow leak (picked up a nail) a few months back...turns out that both the Kal Tire stores I called here in Hamilton / Niagara had never worked on a Tesla...that was enough for me to drive to Tranmere to get the tire replaced...I don't want my car to be the guinea pig for an inexperienced shop to cut their teeth on...

Jaff, there's nothing particularly unique with how the tires/wheels work on the Model S compared to any other car. Not really any different than a tire shop who's worked on Toyotas working on a Honda for the first time.

The only thing you need to be careful about are the lifting points when hoisting the car up, but they're pretty obvious to anyone who's worked on cars, and lifting points can be critical on many ICE cars too.

What I have done is printed out the Jacking and Lifting page from the Owners Manual (you can get the pdf at the Tesla site) and laminated it. I keep it in the glove box and leave it on the seat whenever I go in to a non-Tesla shop (so far, just Kal Tire for me). When I got my snow tires back in 2013, mine was the first Tesla my local Kal Tire had worked on. With the instructions I gave, they had no problems whatsoever with the car, although I did keep a sharp eye out while I waited!

I also keep a laminated copy of the Towing Instructions in case I ever need a non-Tesla tow (flatbed).

Replacing your tires at Costco do give you a tire hazard coverage. But whether you can trust Costco to handle your car is another matter....
One of my cousins got a flat tire in her minivan. From her blog on the replacement from Costco:
In the end, the tire got changed, no one was decapitated, my mom made a new friend, the helpful neighbor got wine and T-bones as a thank you, and The Kone had yet another adventure. And then there was the next day, when I went to the Costco tire center where I had gotten all new tires a year before. My mom’s neighbor had warned us that unless I had specifically purchased a Road Hazard Warranty, I’d be stuck buying a new tire unless there was a defect.

Young Costco Guy: Okay, the tire wasn’t repairable, there was a gash in the sidewall.
Me, sighing: Of course there was. What would have caused that? I was on the highway! Are you saying a rabid nail went leaping off the road to its death in the side of my tire?
YCG: Umm, maybe? Sometimes these things happen.
Me: Okay, so how much do I owe you for the new tire?
YCG: Eleventwentyfour.

I look at him and tilt my head. Eleventwentyfour? Is this some kind of New Costco Math? It doesn’t compute.

Me: What was that again?
YCG: Eleventwentyfour.
Me: Eleventytwentyforty?
YCG: No, just eleventwentyfour.

I think to myself, hmm, this must be what they’re teaching kids in school these days. They’re so used to texting and shortening words, that now they’re shortening numbers too. Could it be $1124? No, of course a-sense-of-emptiness-in-the-wake-of-obamas-win.jpgnot. $110.24? That makes more sense. I try to coax him out a bit, using my excellent communication skills, to mayhap get him to use non-texting language.

“So,” I say craftily, “if you were me and you were going to write this out on a check which you probably wouldn’t do because you kids do everything online these days but let’s just pretend, and say there were no mobile devices anywhere in existence so that you couldn’t send a text, what would this figure look like?”

I for one think I’m being very astute in picking up on these younger kids’ hep lingo and all that, but for some reason, he looks at me as if I’ve lost my mind.

YCG: Umm……..eleven dollars and twenty-four cents?

Now, I’m not saying I wrote out and slapped that check down and bolted out of there before he could figure out they had made a mistake……but hell yes, that’s exactly what I did. Okay, so I did discover that Costco has some insanely amazing service plan in place whereby all tires come with a 5-year Road Hazard Warranty, which is prorated based on how many miles you’ve driven on the tires. But still! Yet another reason to love this place. Costco, aka Mecca, will you hire me? Please?? Now?

And yes, this is what passes for really good luck around these parts. Car got a flat tire on the highway but close enough to an exit? Sweet! Par-tay time!

Last edited:
Well, the tire guys at the Kelowna Costco were quite excited to see a Tesla up close. Given the cost of the vehicle they were appropriately apprehensive about doing the work and appreciative of my direction for jack placement under the vehicle. The work they did was just fine.

(working on my "appr" words today :smile:)

Jaff, there's nothing particularly unique with how the tires/wheels work on the Model S compared to any other car. Not really any different than a tire shop who's worked on Toyotas working on a Honda for the first time.

The only thing you need to be careful about are the lifting points when hoisting the car up, but they're pretty obvious to anyone who's worked on cars, and lifting points can be critical on many ICE cars too.

There are two other items. Torque is 129 ft.lbs. 175 Nm. The lug nuts are not solid so if they use an impact wrench you'll be purchasing a new set for $100.

Biggest problem I had with Kal Tire was they had no way to enter the car in their computer, so their computer now thinks I drive a jag (the guy at the desk thought it would be close?) I found it funny, because Kal Tire's online stuff has Tesla listed, but their in store stuff couldn't handle it. Luckily I could give them all the appropriate tire specs as to what I needed, so they could handle it even if the computer thinks it's a jag.

Let's see... potential pack damage from improper lifting, damaged lug nuts (I've actually seen this), improper torquing (more the rule than the exception), not to mention improper inflation and potential TPMS damage... I'm not going to hand my car over to just anyone. And I'm going to keep an eye on them throughout. Don't assume they will take due care because it's the low guy on the totem pole who does wheels and tires.