Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For discussing the issue of locals charging at California Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(Moderator note: the first 8 posts in this thread moved from the Fountain Valley Supercharger thread because the discussion immediately became more generalized and not site specific, additional posts were moved from other Supercharger threads)

Worst super charger in America! Stalls are always full with another 3-6 cars waiting on the side. Tons of locals using it as their regular charger because Starbucks and Costco are in the same lot. People always leaving their cars after full charge. At first I thought it was kinda unique to be in a group of people who own Teslas, and everyone would get out of their cars and talk to each other. Now more and more I see it just like any other car brand. Doesn't matter if it's expensive , you still have your idiots, knuckleheads , rude people, inconsiderate people and just plain assholes that you see at the super charger stations nowadays.

Attachments

• 20180322_094711.jpg
    20180322_094711.jpg
    550.1 KB · Views: 362
Last edited by a moderator:
I personally have shopped at this Costco while charging. Then again, that was one time only when this station was only a week old and getting a spot was easy. That opportunity lasted only a few more days! I actually see nothing wrong with that, as long as I am truly in need of a charge. It is hard for me to imagine that people would wait 30 minutes in line just for a free charge while shopping at Costco. If I was local to this charging station, I would charge at a time when few people were around, not just for other's convenience, but my own.

The issue of locals comes up every few posts for this thread. Without getting into the same old debate again, I am curious: how do you personally know that there are locals charging at this particular location, and that they don't return when their cars are done charging? Don't get me wrong: I am not saying you are lying. I just want to know your observations at this location.

I personally have shopped at this Costco while charging. Then again, that was one time only when this station was only a week old and getting a spot was easy. That opportunity lasted only a few more days! I actually see nothing wrong with that, as long as I am truly in need of a charge. It is hard for me to imagine that people would wait 30 minutes in line just for a free charge while shopping at Costco. If I was local to this charging station, I would charge at a time when few people were around, not just for other's convenience, but my own.

The issue of locals comes up every few posts for this thread. Without getting into the same old debate again, I am curious: how do you personally know that there are locals charging at this particular location, and that they don't return when their cars are done charging? Don't get me wrong: I am not saying you are lying. I just want to know your observations at this location.
Excellent question 4Super9.
I do not know the answer for Fountain Valley, but for Rancho Cucamonga, I do know that a local was charging, because after talking to him for a while he said he had to go home which was "across the street in those apartments" which he then pointed to.
Also, I gave a Model 3 to my daughter 6 days ago, and she lives in an apartment in Long Beach. Two years ago I offered to pay for a 240 volt 50 amp Level 2 charge station in her garage, but she told me that she did not own the wiring; the landlord did, and that he was crazy, and that no negotiations were possible. So she needs to use a SC or other "local" charging. But she pays for it-- First charge, one hour after picking up the Model 3 at Marina Del Rey, Sunday last, we charged at the Culver City SC, and her 15" screen posted a charge for $7.80, exactly 26c per KWh.

Worst super charger in America! Stalls are always full with another 3-6 cars waiting on the side. Tons of locals using it as their regular charger because Starbucks and Costco are in the same lot. People always leaving their cars after full charge. At first I thought it was kinda unique to be in a group of people who own Teslas, and everyone would get out of their cars and talk to each other. Now more and more I see it just like any other car brand. Doesn't matter if it's expensive , you still have your idiots, knuckleheads , rude people, inconsiderate people and just plain assholes that you see at the super charger stations nowadays.
Looking down the road I wonder if Tesla is thinking about shutting down these type of failures of supercharging stations.

San Clemente is an example of what a Supercharging Station is supposed to be. And Baker. And Buttonwillow. Santa Ana; Downey; San Juan Cap, not so much.

Let's see what Volkwagen A.G. does to pay off their 20 or so BILLION dollars in punishment money to build some decent city charging stations.

• Love
Reactions: FlatSix911

Not sure why you are so mad, Irvine is less than 10 miles to this station. You're consider a local and probably never need to use this station anyway.

Without getting into the same old debate again...
And then you immediately got into the same old debate again...
I am curious: how do you personally know that there are locals charging at this particular location, and that they don't return when their cars are done charging?
Which is why the posts above were moved out of the Fountain Valley Supercharger thread and into this new thread in the California forum. :)

And then you immediately got into the same old debate again...

Which is why the posts above were moved out of the Fountain Valley Supercharger thread and into this new thread in the California forum. :)
Sorry, but I am in strongly disagree with your management of my post. Not only that, but I find your comment to be quite condescending. Your second comment seems like a non-sequitur.

While I understand that there have been many tangents about the issues of locals abusing superchargers, for which I admit I have been guilty of in the past, my post was, without question, specifically and directly focused on the issue at the FV supercharger. I specifically discussed the issue of the Costco there, and my question was responding to another poster was what he or she saw at that location, not somewhere else in California, that made him/her insistent that this was a local abuse issue. My post did not deserve to be moved to a generic thread about locals abusing superchargers, where it has absolutely no meaning, as if I am some child needing direction. In fact, in writing it, I knew quite well that there was a chance you might hop in, hence why I made sure my discussion point was well within the proper context. Sorry, but if there is an issue in a particular supercharger location, one that especially effects me, I would much prefer to discuss it there, where it is relevant. Not in some other location for me to hunt down. I kindly ask that you allow a little leeway in these moments, and move only the posts that are truly generic discussions about "the local" issue.
Thank you.

Last edited:
(Moderator note: the following 7 posts were moved here from this thread Supercharger - Carlsbad, 7710 El Camino Real (permit found, construction started 04-18-2018) )

There is a big chance that this place will be mobbed the moment it opens and for weeks if not months and months and the. The model 3 players will chime in. It’s a good thing but for sure all those tesla owners in north county will drive from everywhere for their free charge. Wonder when we will see it on the tesla maps!

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking of mobs of locals charging for free... I agree with Tesla's decision to allow free charging on high end models, but oh wow, the consequences. With some foresight, they might offered unlimited free charging at all sites more than 75-100 miles from home (and vacation homes!) or near home only when returning from out of town. Who would balk and how many more spots would be available?

Speaking of mobs of locals charging for free... I agree with Tesla's decision to allow free charging on high end models, but oh wow, the consequences. With some foresight, they might offered unlimited free charging at all sites more than 75-100 miles from home (and vacation homes!) or near home only when returning from out of town. Who would balk and how many more spots would be available?
I would. And I wouldn't have bought one. Not a fan of .23 /kwh to the rip off utility SDG&E. And don't want to hear if I can afford a Tesla I can afford to fund SDG&E's pensions.

It's the people using Superchargers as a way to fill up their vehicles (rather than having a daily charging option at home/work) that screw it up for everyone else (broken record alert!).

Makes me really sad. . .

Well, you'll need to get used to it since Tesla has welcomed the non-garaged since 2014.

That said, yeah, anyone who is garaged who would rather clog an SC than wake up every morning with a full charge should indeed be drawn, quartered, skewered, scattered, covered, smothered, chunked, *and* fed to the hogs directly thereafter. Twice.

The Southwest region has always suffered curious delays and SC placements - but surely that guy's been fired or moved on, so I don't know what the current excuse is. Recall the OC with only 1 SC for so long, and now SD with a) 1 overloaded SC and b) the only other one nearby being on the other end of a locked garage gate after hours and on weekends (pending a change, that's going to well and truly suck).

The only ChaDeMo network that's ever been reliable and full-strength has been the excellent network from AeroVironment. For $19.99/month, you had unlimited access up and down the Oregon coast. I know their offices are in... Simi Valley iirc, but have no idea of the quality or extent of their network in SoCal. Hopefully there is one - but again, the problem is that those are typically installed as onesies along with an L2. Any port in a storm, of course.

You (collectively speaking) can't bag much upon Tesloop either - they're grandfathered within the rules as provided by Tesla at the time. And you'll see Tesloop at every SC adjacent a major airport. Livery in general is a problem in that regard, but it is what it is, and Tesla has changed that policy going forward.

So in the end it's a supply issue and it's firmly upon Tesla's plate to resolve. Given the failure on their end to manage this so far, I resort to the path of least resistance. I won't be caught dead charging at Sorrento unless I've made a miscalculation. I'm starting to just travel less in and out of SoCal on Friday and Sunday afternoons. Not that that helps people with less flexibility.

I charged up from 50% to 90% today at the Dublin SuC. At 11:30 am I waited 30 minutes in line for a 30 minute charge. I am a Bay Area local. I live in San Rafael and had a business meeting in Dublin today. I left home with 70% SOC and arrived with 50% SOC. To get home and have remaining charge, I needed to hit this Supercharger. I live in an apartment, so have no home charging in San Rafael. Now we all know Dublin is lately the most busy SuC. On the other hand Tesla has new SuCs opening in San Ramon and Pleasanton. WAIT! Two new SuperChargers in the Tri-Valley area?!! BOO HOO!! Tri-Valley!! Marin County has no (READ ZERO) SuperChargers. Get over it.
You don’t live in the Tri Valley so you’re not really a local. Btw being a smartness isn’t a very effective way to make your point

You don’t live in the Tri Valley so you’re not really a local. Btw being a smartness isn’t a very effective way to make your point
Okay, I'll take that. I think you and I agree on a key point here. Owners who have a home charger nearby should not use the SuCs. Fair enough. I think that is an abuse of the service.
So my point is that not all "local' owners have the same circumstance. Since I live in San Rafael where i do not have a home charger at my apartment and there is no SuperCharger in Marin County, I am totally dependent on all my destination chargers. They are usually SuCs around the Bay Area, i.e. Dublin. So in effect, I am a local to all these chargers. Not my first choice, but that is how it is. So the key message here is that "Locals" are not necessarily abusing the SuCs resources.
Look forward to seeing you at an upcoming Bay Area meet-up!

• Disagree
Reactions: jaguar36 and bmah