Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Found this little gem on my $55K Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the black interior. Shouldn't I have had the wood trim here as well? It looks like I got one from a white interior car. :rolleyes:
20200909_085651.jpg

F7E1E22D-8CD6-495E-A49E-DE4BF584704B.jpeg
Kind of cool. Why not, if it works it works and they use some recycled material.
As long as I go more than 12,000 miles without a catastrophic breakdown (cough bmw, cough), I’ll be happy. 1/3 of the way there, haven’t even needed an oil change (11,000 miles down if you count the used Model S I bought in January although that did require service for the rear hatch).

Sandy was OK with it, that's good enough for me.

Precisely.

If you watch his videos you see that he picks at every possible little thing. That he held this part in his hand, and even took the tape off to show the label shows that he didn't think anything of it.

Some people get outraged by things that don't align with their expectations, but not much follows from that except to reflect their expectations.

It didn't seem to offend Munro's expectations and his expectations and standards are much more experienced and informed on the things that actually matter.

Precisely.

If you watch his videos you see that he picks at every possible little thing. That he held this part in his hand, and even took the tape off to show the label shows that he didn't think anything of it.

Some people get outraged by things that don't align with their expectations, but not much follows from that except to reflect their expectations.

It didn't seem to offend Munro's expectations and his expectations and standards are much more experienced and informed on the things that actually matter.

Munro’s assembly didn’t include corner molding with faux wood print, so it’s impossible for us to know whether or not his expectations or standards would’ve been offended. I suspect he would’ve made a joke about it (as I have) but perhaps not.

I posted this for my own amusement and to amuse others, not to express outrage or air grievance.

I reserve my outrage for panel fitment and alignment issues, something no one can credibly excuse.

Last edited:
I think it's great that they didn't delay production for such a simple thing. They probably had an issue getting the little white pieces on mine but what they used instead looks like it will work perfectly.

I agree, the wood trim will work fine, but it's still pretty funny. :)
Hey, why reinvent the wheel and make your own corner molding when some trim factory already makes it, in a fancy faux wood finish no less.

The strap and corner moldings are definitely and afterthought/fix for some problem that cropped up after production... take a look at the official Tesla parts catalog page below... no strap or corner moldings:

Or that is simply the part as shipped from the supplier and isn't reflected in the line drawings. What matters is whether there is any deviation from the engineering specs.

I reserve my outrage for panel fitment and alignment issues, something no one can credibly excuse.

It depends on the magnitude -- and expectations. Bob Lutz Talks Panel Gaps, Tesla, and Why Every Detail Matters

"During the launch of Model S production in 2012, Mr. Musk set up an office in the middle of the factory floor in Fremont, Calif., and took over when hiccups emerged. He told workers to buy USB cables at nearby Fry’s Electronics Inc. stores after a snarl delayed a shipment from China." - WSJ
2012... new company, first full production launch.... not too surprising.
2020... 8 years later... 5th model. <SMH>

Imagine the mockery if those photos were from a NIO, E-Tron or other EV.

"During the launch of Model S production in 2012, Mr. Musk set up an office in the middle of the factory floor in Fremont, Calif., and took over when hiccups emerged. He told workers to buy USB cables at nearby Fry’s Electronics Inc. stores after a snarl delayed a shipment from China." - WSJ
2012... new company, first full production launch.... not too surprising.
2020... 8 years later... 5th model. <SMH>

Imagine the mockery if those photos were from a NIO, E-Tron or other EV.

I think you'd be surprised at how many things are emergency fixed in a production environment in real time.

This is a lose lose for Tesla because either they delay shipments for whatever issue caused this and piss off a bunch of customers who ordered it or some engineer says "hey if we take these weird shaped wood corner pieces I found in the closet and strap them here with a band, it solves the issue completely and yeah it looks kind of weird".

If it was a nice black zip-tie and a custom molded L pieces no one would bat an eye.

It's under a molded piece of plastic. You don't see it when you pop the frunk. Don't get me wrong, it's a hack of a fix, but hacky fixes work sometimes.