Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Four Rial Lugano 19" wheels bent in two weeks - are they up to the task?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How is the currently offered 19" Cyclone wheel different from your desire for a "19" turbine solution"?

I recognize that the Tesla "Turbine" style wheel is slightly different from the "Cyclone", but they look pretty similar to me.

They look similar but as you said are not the same. I like the turbine pattern much better than the staggered cyclone one. They don't offer the cyclones in the US at least in the grey too.

I received the Lugano wheels in October. Mine have not bent, and the winter here was far harsher than last year's winter, which claimed two of my 21" tires due to potholes. I have, unfortunately, hit 1 or 2 potholes with the Tesla this year, with no apparent effects.

My only grousing has to do with the fact I stood one up next to the car and it fell over as I took a picture, giving the front surface a concrete rash (grrrr).

So I wouldn't just write them completely off.

That must have been a hell of a pothole if it caught both sides of your car (as implied by the 3 bent rims).

This is very disheartening. I'm now torn over what to do with my summer rubber (put my new winter tires on my stock Tesla 19's).

my wife drove by the pothole the next morning and said it was "pretty big". i was driving about 15-20mph max. the only one that was not impacted was the front driver side rim which maybe makes sense as i think the pot hole was on the passenger side... Fingers crossed the tire place that installed these rims/tires can repair the bentness... it doesnt seem to impact the car much unless i am going north of 75mph imho.... my wife says she feels it when she's driving below 30mph...

Even if a lightweight wheel improved efficiency by 10%, that'd be like 1.2 million miles I'd have to drive to make my money back.

10% efficiency is not important for electricity, but 25 miles extra range would be great!

However, I have a set of these - they perform about the same in terms of wh/mile as my 21" wheels. (So I think that means they're 3% less efficient since they're 19" and as such should have given a better range than the 21" wheels).

10% efficiency is not important for electricity, but 25 miles extra range would be great!

However, I have a set of these - they perform about the same in terms of wh/mile as my 21" wheels. (So I think that means they're 3% less efficient since they're 19" and as such should have given a better range than the 21" wheels).

Yes, it's the range I'm concerned with. When I took the Goodyears off my stock 19's and mounted the Nokian Hakka R2s, I didn't see any difference in Wh/mi numbers or range. This was actually a pleasant surprise because I was expecting at least a bit of a winter tire penalty even though the Hakkas are considered "ultra low rolling resistance".

I wouldn't want to put my summer 19" tires back on to an after-market rim only to see my efficiency/range drop!

FWIW, I contacted Tire Rack and they are telling me that they do not see any higher incidents of bent rims with the Luganos than with any other wheel.

Update from OP:

After some back and forth with Tire Rack, they are sending my bent wheels back to manufacturer for examination and testing. Unfortunately Rial does not have offices in USA, so the wheels will have to travel to Poland. I am puzzled why TR lists these wheels as manufactured in Poland, is going to send them back to Poland for examination, but the wheels have "Germany" stamped on the spokes (see my post #44 for pictures).

- - - Updated - - -

FWIW, I contacted Tire Rack and they are telling me that they do not see any higher incidents of bent rims with the Luganos than with any other wheel.

According to information they provided to me in writing: "Our wheel Techs reviewed our sales and warranty history on the Lugano (Tesla fitment), and found no repeating issues in terms of failure"

The above could be interpreted as they had only one incident of bending, since all others would technically be repeating. Off course people who do not report failures (including me just buying two new wheels after the first incident) are not on TR radar screen.

@v, do you happen to know the manufacturer warranty statement on these wheels? For example they usually quote separately a finish warranty (typically 1 or 2 years) and a structural warranty (should be much longer).

According to the TR site the finish warranty is 2 years, no mention of structural warranty. TR did not include any warranty information with the shipment.

Yes TireRack seems to hide the structural warranty info if it exists. In my case with different wheels I got the info directly from manufacturer (lifetime structural warranty). I could not find in your case the info from rial.de as they don't seem to list in any of the docs there.

I have seen better Wh/mi numbers. Winter last year I was averaging 410 Wh/mi, this year I'm averaging 385 Wh/mi (over 4,500 mi. since fitting these wheels).

where is it proven that they cannot handle the weight of model s?

There are a couple of incidences of these wheels bending. after the first, it seemed like maybe an anomaly. from looking through this entire thread, it seems there are now three different owners who have experienced this and I hope they all report this to Tire Rack, it needs to get back to the manufacturer. it's possible that there was a poorly forged batch, fingers crossed. until Tire Rack and the manufacturer address this issue, I unfortunately can not recommend these wheels any further, which is sad, because I don't like the look of the 19" OEM Tesla cyclones and the standard 19"s look even worse. I have the Rial's on my P85+ and they have been great, but I have not run over any pot holes. the manufacturer either needs to, IMHO, lower the weight rating and do a recall for heavy cars like the Tesla S or if they can identify if the flaw is related to a bad batch, do a recall specific to that batch. The issue needs to be identified before I can feel confident in recommending them again. I'm no expert but all the bent wheels I've seen in my day have been the result of major impact, typically blowing the tire or from a tire going flat. the way the bends have occurred on this thread seem very unusual.